VSS eNewsletter - 10 February 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9 4:47 AM

      http://docs.google.com/File?id=dsb2qcg_204rzfq96ff_b

      In this issue...

      VSS NEWS

      VSS 10th Anniversary AGM, Sat, 28 Mar, 2-5pm

      Comments From The VSS’ Exhibition At Geylang East Library Thru 13 Feb

      GENERAL NEWS

      Another Example Of The Food Or Feed Dilemma

      Green Moves: Another Country Acts To Cut Meat Consumption

      Free Talk For VSS eNewsletter Subscribers – 15 Feb

      Golf Legend, Gary Player, Recommends ‘The China Study’

      Workshop: ‘Boost Your Brain And Energise Your Body’ – 18 April

      Annalakshmi Janatha Offers ‘No Garlic and Onion’ Lunch Buffet

      More Dine & Learn Workshops From Nutri-Hub

      Looking For Single, Non-Smoking, Vegetarians

      Benefit Film Showing For Noah’s Ark Animal Shelter – 17 Feb

      VSS NEWS

      VSS 10th Anniversary AGM, Sat, 28 Mar, 2-5pm

      Sat, 28 Mar, 2pm-5pm, VSS will hold our 10th anniversary AGM at The Giving Place, the HQ of the National Volunteer and Philanthropic Centre, located at 6 Eu Tong Sen Street, #04-88, The Central, just above Clarke Quay MRT on Level 4, in the MPH room. Light refreshments will be served. For directions: http://www.nvpc.org.sg/Pgm/Others/NVPC_F_ContactUs.aspx

      Please attend the AGM to celebrate what VSS has done over the past 10 years, to discuss what we will do in 2009 and beyond and to explore how you might be involved in our urgent task of educating the public about the benefits of moving towards diets that are part of a kinder and wiser way of life.

      Comments From The VSS’ Exhibition At Geylang East Library Thru 13 Feb

      The VSS library exhibition at Geylang East Community Library closes on 13 Feb. Just a short walk from Aljunied MRT, at 50, Geylang East Ave 1, the library is open daily from 10am-9pm: http://libinfo.nlb.gov.sg/OurLibraries/opaclibrary.asp?code=GECL

      Buses:

      SBS Transit 80, 155 via Geylang East Central

      SBS Transit 40, 62, 63, 80, 100, 158 via Aljunied Road

      SBS Transit 2, 13, 21, 26, 40, 51, SMRT 853 (on weekends) via Sims Avenue .

      At the exhibition, we have a clipboard with paper for people to write their comments. Here are just a few, with some quick feedback inside square brackets.

      1. I will eat more veg or maybe turn vegetarian.

      [This is why we do these exhibitions.]

      2. I agree that it is good to be vegetarian. But it is foolish to be vegetarian alone. Why are vegetables cheap? They are cheap because half the world’s population are meat eaters. If everyone becomes vegetarian, there will be a war between countries over vegetables. There should be a balance between meat and vegetable eating. The food cycle will be destroyed if you only promote eating vegetables only.

      [Actually, if people stop eating meat, there will be more plant food available, because many kgs of plants are fed to our fellow animals to produce just one kg of meat.]

      3. I hope that humans will cut down on meat, and if they kill, they should do it in a nice way, such as by putting them to sleep first. Eating vegetables is also good for our health. We should eat more vegetables. I hope that everyone will stop killing animals and eating them unless they grow old and died naturally. Eat vegetables ONLY! Be a vegetarian!

      [One reason why our fellow animals are confined in horrible conditions and then killed cruelly at a young age is that it lowers the price of meat. But ask yourself this, please: if aliens came to earth and started eating humans, would you feel it was okay for them to kill you as long as you were put to sleep first?]

      GENERAL NEWS

      Another Example Of The Food Or Feed Dilemma

      This article from a poultry industry publication discusses how the chicken flesh industry in Africa wants to divert food from people and use it as feed for non-human animals whom the industry are raising for slaughter. Here’s an excerpt:

      "Manufacturers of poultry feed have been in talks with the government to
      allow import of raw materials and to release part of the strategic grain
      reserve for animal feeds."

      http://www.allaboutfeed.net/news/kenyan-poultry-farmers-in-trouble-id2780.html

      Green Moves: Another Country Acts To Cut Meat Consumption

      Our last issue recounted how Germany is urging people to decrease meat consumption to slow global warming. In a similar move, the UK National Health Service is promoting meat-free menus in hospitals as part of a strategy to cut global warming emissions.

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/jan/26/hospitals-nhs-meat-carbon

      Free Talk For VSS eNewsletter Subscribers – 15 Feb

      Title: Alternative Diet-Therapy to Fight and to Prevent Cancer

      Date: 15 Feb (Sun)

      Time: 3pm to 4:30pm

      Venue: 6 Ashwood Grove, S. 739956

      http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel/travel/travel_id_1/travel_site_124185/5

      Fee: Free to all VSS e-newsletter subscribers.

      To register, please email to sheewai@... or sms 9743.8362

      Limited to 30 vacancies only

      Speaker: Mark Chan has conducted numerous health lectures in schools, churches, corporations and Community Centres in Singapore and is a certified Health Educator from NEWSTART Lifestyle Program: www.newstart.com

      Details at: http://www.4shared.com/file/83250361/15c4846f/Alternative_Diet_Therapy_to_Fight_and_To_Prevent_Cancer.html

      Golf Legend, Gary Player, Recommends ‘The China Study’

      If you play golf, you would have heard of Gary Player, one of the all-time greats. A reader reports that on a recent TV show, Player was demonstrating his rigorous exercise routine. At the end of this, he suddenly knelt down and said, “ America, I beg you, please go read ‘The China Study’.” He also lists it as one of his favourite books:

      http://garyplayer.com/legend/the_man/personal_stats/

      The China Study - http://www.thechinastudy.com - by Professor T. Colin Campbell provides a comprehensive look at the links between diet and health. Prof Campbell advocates a vegan diet and provides a great deal of research to support his views. VSS is working with various partners to bring Prof Campbell to Singapore later this year. If we are able to set up a firm date, the details will appear in this newsletter.

      Workshop: ‘Boost Your Brain and Energise Your Body’ – 18 April

      Well-known local speakers Betty L. Khoo-Kingsley and Tom Low will present a workshop, 'Boost Your Brain and Energise Your Body. It's All About Natural Healing'.

      Date: 18 April (Saturday)

      Time: 9 am to 12 pm

      Venue: Singapore Institute of Management (Management House)

      Fee: $38 (SIM Members), $48 (UniSIM Alumni), $58 (Non members)

      The organisers would like to extend a special rate of $50 for members of the Vegetarian Society ( Singapore ). To enjoy this special rate, members of the Vegetarian Society need to include a code, 'VSS_mail' after their name.

      The link is as follows:

      http://www.sim.edu.sg/mbs/pub/cal/mbs_pub_cal_DetailView.cfm?event_type=evt&event_id=2454

      Annalakshmi Janatha Offers ‘No Garlic and Onion’ Lunch Buffet

      Vegetarians come in a delightful variety of types. Some vegetarians refrain from eating garlic and onion, and many Chinese vegetarian outlets cater to this practice. However, it is more difficult to find an Indian veg restaurant that does not use garlic and onion.

      That is why we are glad to pass on the announcement from our friends at Annalakshmi, one of Singapore ’s best-known sources of veg food, that the buffet lunch (M-F, 11am-3pm) at their Annalakshmi Janatha restaurant will be no garlic and onion. The restaurant is at 104, Amoy Street, S. 069924, Near Far East Square, between Tanjong Pagar and Raffles Place MRT stations. Tel: 6223.0809, annagov@... - http://www.annalakshmi.com.sg

      More Dine & Learn Workshops From

      The new schedule for the Dine & Learn Workshops is as follows.

      Sat 21/2, 10.30am-1pm, ‘Nutrition & Vitality Cooking I’. $50 inclusive of lunch. Nutrition talk on why & what to replace in your diet, how to boost your immune system & how to manage your colon health, followed by Vitality Cooking Demo - Asian Salad Delight using local greens & Cashew Fig 5 Grains Brown Rice Porridge.

      Sat 28/2, 10.30am-1pm, ‘Harmonising Your Body Energy I’. $40 inclusive of lunch.

      Learn how to protect yourself from harmful electromagnetic field / radiation, how to use a pendulum to check your body & food energy and how to harmonize your body energy with visualization techniques, organic juices and other methods.

      Sat 7/3, 10.30am-1pm, ‘Nutrition & Vitality Cooking II’. $50 inclusive of lunch.

      Nutrition talk on what & how to supplement your diet, weight management and how to do simple detox. Followed by Vitality Cooking Demo Fruit Enzyme & 8 Treasure Fragrant Brown Rice.

      Sat 14/3, 10.30am-1pm, ‘Harmonising Your Body Energy II’. $40 inclusive of lunch.

      Learn how to use a pendulum to do dowsing on your body / objects.  Learn how to harmonize your body energy using colour visualization to open your chakras (energy centres) as well as relax your body with chakra exercises and other techniques.

      10% discount for those who register for 2 workshops or more and 10% discount for group of 3 persons or more who register for 1 workshop.

      For Registration, please contact Nutri-Hub Café at 6738.2746 or sms Ms Vinitha Ang at 9236.8402. For enquiries, please contact Ms Vinitha Ang at 9236.8402.

      Looking For Single, Non-Smoking, Vegetarians

      Two furnished, private, breezy rooms are available with an expat vegetarian family on the upper floor of a 6000sq ft semi-d. Feeder bus #42 is 3 minutes walk away or 10 minutes walk to Kembangan MRT, or walk to Chai Chee Lane to Bus service #222 and #229 to Bedok. Both rooms have new aircon, full wall cabinet/vanity mirror, bed, side table, desk & chair and new double (lace & blackout) curtains.

      Asking for $550/$750. Rental includes PUB, Wireless broadband, cable, etc. Home cooked vegetarian meals available on request at nominal rate. Available immediately. Please call 8131.5539 for viewing.

      Benefit Film Showing for Noah’s Ark Animal Shelter – 17 Feb

      Last year, VSS had a trip to two animal shelters in JB, including Noah’s Ark. Now Noah’s Ark is raising funds via a charity premiere film showing of ‘Marley & Me’.

      Date:            17 Feb (Tue)

      Location:       Golden Village , VivoCity Hall 4

      Time:            7.15pm

      Ticket prices according to seat rows

      Row H, J and K $100 each (furthest from screen)

      Row F and G $50 each

      Row C, D and E $25 each

      Rows A and B $10 each

      (All proceeds will be donated to Noah's Ark CARES)

      To reserve and purchase your tickets, email info@... providing contact details, ticket price and number of tickets required. Please state email subject as "Marley & Me Tickets".  Payment can be made via funds transfer or cheque payable to Noah's Ark CARES. Please note that tickets will only be confirmed upon receipt of payment and there will be no refunds possible.

      Visit http://www.vegetarian-society.org/?q=fdl
      for a comprehensive list of vegetarian eateries

      or email us at info@...

      to notify us of new places.

      Chief Editor:                               Dr George M Jacobs

      Editorial Consultant:                             Mr Gangasudhan

      Back issues are available at http://www.vegetarian-society.org/index.php?q=taxonomy/term/3

      The VSS eNewsletter is non-copyrighted, and readers are encouraged to share the content.

       </

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)