VSS eNewsletter - 31 January 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2009

      http://docs.google.com/File?id=dsb2qcg_204rzfq96ff_b

      In this issue...

      VSS NEWS

      Please Staff VSS’ Exhibition At Geylang East Library Thru 13 Feb

      Venue For VSS 2009 AGM?

      Asian Vegetarian Congress – 6-10 Nov, 2009

      IVU World Vegetarian Congress – 1-7 Oct, 2010

      GENERAL NEWS

      Yu Sheng Cooking Class At NutriHub

      Vegetarian Cooking Class On Lavender Street

      New Komala’s Outlet In Yishun

      ‘Plant Based Nutrition’ Now Available Online At No Cost

      12th International Vegan Festival, Rio de Janeiro , Brazil - 22-25 Jul, 2009

      China Xiamen International Vegetarian Food Fair, 12-15 Nov, 2009

      Humans And Our Fellow Animals

      Meat Consumption Declines In Germany

      Matchmaking – Vegetarian Tenants And Landlords

      More Evidence On Why We Shouldn’t Eat Fishes

      VSS NEWS

      Please Staff VSS’ Exhibition At Geylang East Library Thru 13 Feb

      Through 13 Feb, the VSS library exhibition is at Geylang East Community Library, just a short walk from Aljunied MRT, at 50, Geylang East Ave 1. The library is open daily from 10am-9pm: http://libinfo.nlb.gov.sg/OurLibraries/opaclibrary.asp?code=GECL

      Buses:

      SBS Transit 80, 155 via Geylang East Central

      SBS Transit 40, 62, 63, 80, 100, 158 via Aljunied Road

      SBS Transit 2, 13, 21, 26, 40, 51, SMRT 853 (on weekends) via Sims Avenue

      Lots of veg food nearby, too, including at Kampung Senang Holistic Lifestyle Centre, Blk 106, Aljunied Crescent, #01-205, S. 380106, and fans of The Little Nonya might like to visit The Whole Earth Vegetarian Restaurant for Peranakan veg, at 593 Geylang Road (Lorong 31 towards 29), 6841.3319, http://www.thewholeearth.com

      With all the holiday preparations and celebrations, we’ve been having trouble finding people to staff the exhibition. To volunteer, please contact wenjin@... - it makes a big difference when we talk and share our personal experiences with visitors to the exhibition, because this personal contact brings the issues much closer and is likely to be more convincing than an exhibition with no human touch.

      Venue For VSS 2009 AGM?

      VSS holds it AGM every year in March. This year is our 10th anniversary. We need a venue near an MRT that can hold about 50 people and where delicious veg food can be consumed. If anyone can secure such a venue for the last weekend in March, please contact info@...

      Asian Vegetarian Congress – 6-10 Nov, 2009

      The 4th Asian Vegetarian Congress, organised by the Asian Vegetarian Union and the Indonesia Vegetarian Society, will be held on Batam from 6-10 Nov. Among those who have agreed to speak are 2007 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, R.K. Pachauri, well-known vegetarian crusader Maneka Gandhi, and IVU Regional Coordinators for India and for Asia-Pacific, Shankar Narayan and Susianto Tseng, respectively.

      For info: www.avc2009.org

      IVU World Vegetarian Congress – 1-7 Oct, 2010

      VSS is a member of the International Vegetarian Union (IVU): www.ivu.org The 39th IVU World Vegetarian Congress will be held next year in Indonesia , 1-7 Oct, 2010. The Congress starts in Jakarta and then moves to Bali . An outline of the programme is available at http://www.ivu.org/congress/2010/index.html

      GENERAL NEWS

      Yu Sheng Cooking Class At NutriHub

      Mushroom Yu Sheng and 8 Treasures Fragrant Brown Rice are the themes of the latest cooking class on offer from NutriHub in Cuppage Plaza, #B2-25 (behind Orchard Point OG), on Sat, 7 Feb, 2pm-4pm.

      The price is $50, inclusive of lunch, the cooking class, plus a nutrition talk on how to supplement your diet, weight management and how to do simple detox.

      For registration, contact NutriHub Café at 6738.2746 or SMS Ms Vinitha Ang at 9236.8402 before 6 Feb. 10% discount for groups of 3 persons or more. To view their menu and other workshops, plus services, visit their blog: http://www.nutrihub.blogspot.com

      Vegetarian Cooking Class On Lavender Street

      A reader sent the following announcement for a vegetarian cooking class.

      When:           Begins 13 Feb, Fri, at 7.30pm-9.30pm, for 8 consecutive Fridays

      What:                     8 Lessons (24 dishes); 3 Dishes/Lesson

      Where:          288A Lavender St .

      MRT:             Boon Keng or Lavender

      Bus:             13, 21, 23, 64, 65, 66, 67, 125, 130, 133, 139, 145, 149

      How Much:    $80 for the course (fees exclude ingredient costs for every lesson at $2)

      How:            Limited seats, please register early, registration forms available at office. Enquiry hotline: 6440.1363, 9389.4531

      New Komala’s Outlet In Yishun

      Komala’s, the fast food Indian veg chain, has opened a new outlet at 930 Yishun Avenue 2, Food Mall, Northpoint Shopping Centre Basement 2. We weren’t able to find details about opening hours, but they should soon be on its website: http://www.komalasweb.com

      ‘Plant Based Nutrition’ Now Available Online At No Cost

      'Plant Based Nutrition' is a booklet by Dr Stephen Walsh of the Vegan Society is available at http://www.vegansociety.com/images/PBN.pdf

      Stephen’s book, ‘Plant Based Nutrition and Health,’ can be ordered at http://www.vegansociety.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=153&osCsid=58358fa04cbd43ac20b5576d0dd7677a

      12th International Vegan Festival, Rio de Janeiro , Brazil - 22-25 Jul, 2009

      From the Festival website, http://www.svb.org.br/12veganfestival

      The world longs for peace, respect and dignity. The Environment is being mercilessly destroyed and gives back its answer. Natural resources are being exhausted by the unsustainable exploitation imposed by a wasteful mode of life. We lose species diversity without even knowing it. Diseases, obesity, suffering and hunger abound.

      After so many years of ideals of 'peace and love', 'gender and ethnic equality', ‘freedom of speech' and 'respect for nature' we still crawl on, delegating to others the task of bringing about lasting, real changes. By changing our life style we can play a vital role in the construction of the better world we all want, where the white dove of peace can rest her tired feet.

      China Xiamen International Vegetarian Food Fair, 12-15 Nov, 2009

      Where: Xiamen International Conference & Exhibition Center , China

      Who: Xiamen Municipal Government, Xiamen General Chamber of Commerce,    Xiamen International Chamber of Commerce, Xiamen Jinhongxin Exhibition Co., Ltd

      Info: (86)592-5959-618, www.vffair.com and info@...

      With: Vegetarian materials, vegetarian food, organic food, natural food, healthy food, vegetarian snacks: fruits, vegetarian books, vegetarian restaurants, and other vegetarian products

      Plus: International Vegetarian Forum, a million signatures for vegetarianism,  food tasting, cooking competition

      Humans And Our Fellow Animals

      Below is the URL for a review of two books that examine the many similarities between us and other animals. The review concludes:

      http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1871906-1,00.html

      There aren't many worse insults for a human than to be called an animal, but these books--which do just that, at great length--are instead strangely ennobling. They make you realize how much effort we expend every day convincing ourselves that we're different and what a relief it is to admit that we're not. It's lonely here at the top of the tool-using hierarchy--why don't we let down our fur and join the club? If they'll have us, that is. If animals could describe us in return, the results might not be so flattering.

      Starting A Vegetarian Business

      This interview in the Wall Street Journal describes the difficult beginnings of a now successful vegetarian business in the U.S. During the early years, the founder even lived in a tree house to save money.

      http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123120503718255953.html

      Meat Consumption Declines In Germany

      A Singaporean living in Germany sent these short articles about how meat reduction there has fallen and how the government is encouraging people to eat even less meat:

      A 2008 report from Federal Statistics Agency Destatis showed that meat consumption has dropped steadily since the early 1990’s, due mainly to health concerns. In 1991, Germans ate 64 kilogrammes of meat per year – more than a Big Mac per day. By 2006, Germans were averaging 58.7 kilogrammes of meat per year – closer to a Quarter Pounder per day.

      http://www.thelocal.de/national/20090122-16931.html

      According to Destatis , Germany 's federal statistics agency, meat consumption in the country has fallen from an annual 64kg a head in 1991 to 58.7kg today. Health concerns are the main reason for the drop, it said.

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/23/german-diet-meat-environment

      If this is possible in Germany , known for its sausages and other meat dishes, why can’t it happen everywhere?

      Matchmaking – Vegetarian Tenants And Landlords

      If you are sharing a house with someone, it’s nice to share with a fellow vegetarian. With that in mind, VSS is passing along this rental info from a property agent: Carol Liu, 8383.4898. Please contact her for details.

      Blk 105 Spottiswoode Park – Master Room

      Fully Furnished, Air-Conditioned, 24-HR Eateries, MRT, Minutes to Town

      Blk 168 Bedok South Ave 3 – 3+1

      Fully Furnished, Air-Conditioned, MRT, Amenities, 24-HR Eateries

      Blk 718 Bedok Reservoir Rd – 3+1

      Vacant Unit, Amenities

      Blk 658 Jln Tenaga (Bedok Reservoir) – 3+1

      Fully furnished, Air-Conditioned, Amenities, Eateries

      Blk 738 Woodlands Circle

      MRT, Partially Furnished, Air-Conditioned, MRT

      More Evidence On Why We Shouldn’t Eat Fishes

      Recently, this newsletter did a bit of explaining about why we should help fishes by not eating them. Here are two articles related to two reasons why eating fishes is wrong.

      Actor Changes Careers: Becomes Thermometer

      The playwright had his own take on Piven's illness, telling Variety: ‘I talked to Jeremy on the phone, and he told me that he discovered that he had a very high level of mercury. So my understanding is that he is leaving show business to pursue a career as a thermometer.’

      http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/12/18/arts/NA-US-People-Jeremy-Piven.php

      Overfishing Decimates Fish Populations Near Kota Kinabalu , Malaysia