VSS eNewsletter - 31 December 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2008

      http://docs.google.com/File?id=dsb2qcg_204rzfq96ff_b

      VSS Wishes Everyone
      A Happy, Harmonious, Healthy & Helping 2009

      In this issue...

      VSS NEWS

      VSS Exhibition Continues At Jurong Regional Library Till 14 Jan

      Your VSS New Year’s Resolution

      Mark Your Calendars For November 2009

      VSS Cookbook Sighting

      GENERAL NEWS

      New Loving Hut Outlet

      January Class From NutriHub

      Can We Afford To Continue Eating Meat?

      One World, Many Minds: Intelligence In The Animal Kingdom

      Veg Blog From Jakarta

      Vegan Triathlon In New Zealand – 22 Feb, 2009

      How I Became A Vegetarian

      VSS NEWS

      VSS Exhibition Continues At Jurong Regional Library Till 14 Jan

      On 23 Dec, our library exhibition moved to Jurong Regional Library after a two-week stay at AMK Community Library. Here are the details on the exhibition’s new home in Jurong.

      Dates: 23 Dec-14 Jan

      Times: Daily, 10am-9pm, Closed at 5.00pm on New Year’s Eve

      Address: 21 Jurong East Central 1, Singapore 609732

      Tel: 6332.3255

      Nearest MRT Station: Jurong East

      Nearest Bus Interchange: Jurong East

      Buses: SBS Transit 51, 52, 66, 78, 79, 97, 98, 105, 143, 160, 183, 197, 333, 334, 335, 506 (via Jurong East Bus Interchange)

      SMRT 176, 178 (via Jurong Town Hall Road )

      Map: http://www.nlb.gov.sg/library/images/LibRoadMaps_JRL.jpg

      Please visit the exhibition. Your feedback is most welcome as to how to improve the way that VSS attempts to spread the veg message. Also, please consider whether the exhibition might fit where you study, work, worship, etc.

      Finally, if you can help staff the exhibition – shifts are about 3 hours - please contact wenjin@...

      Your VSS New Year’s Resolution

      Do you have a 2009 idea for how to encourage people to eat less or no meat?

      Would VSS be able to help?

      If you can work with VSS on your idea, please let us know: info@...

      We have so many ideas but so few people to implement them. Thanks.

      Mark Your Calendars For November 2009

      The 4th Asian Vegetarian Congress, organised by the Asian Vegetarian Union and the Indonesia Vegetarian Society, will be held on nearby Batam from 6-10 Nov.

      Among those who have agreed to speak are 2007 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, R.K. Pachauri, well-known vegetarian crusader Maneka Gandhi, and IVU Regional Coordinators for India and for Asia-Pacific, Shankar Narayan and Susianto Tseng. For info: www.avc2009.org

      VSS Cookbook Sighting

      A reader reports seeing the VSS cookbook, New Asian Traditions Vegetarian Cookbook, at the gift shop at the National Museum : http://www.nationalmuseum.sg/nms/nms_html/index.asp

      You can also find the book at Kampung Senang Holistic Lifestyle Centre, Blk 106, Aljunied Crescent , #01-205, S. 380106, 6742.6627, email@..., http://www.kg-senang.org.sg

      GENERAL NEWS

      New Loving Hut Outlet

      Earlier in 2008, Singapore ’s first Loving Hut café opened at Suntec’s Sky Garden , #03-016, Tower 2. Now, Loving Hut has a new outlet at Parklane (not to be confused with the not-so-far-away Park Mall). Here are the details:

      Name: Loving Hut

      Address: Parklane Shopping Mall, 35, Selegie Road, #01-07

      Tel:    6338.0962

      Bus: 64, 65, 131, 139, 147, 857

      Open: Daily 11am-10pm

      Nearby Landmarks: Paradiz Centre (pls note that Parklane is not the same as Park Mall)

      Specialty dishes: Combination of Local and Western

      Onion & garlic: No

      Organic:        No

      MSG (ajinomoto): No

      Eggs and Dairy: No

      Brown rice: Yes

      Price Range of Main Dishes: $5-$10

      Website: www.lovinghut.com.sg

      Delivery Services: No

      Catering Services: Yes

      January Class From

      A new year brings new cooking classes at NutriHub- the Organic Fusion Cafe, Cuppage Plaza , #B2-25 (behind Orchard Point OG). The new class teaches how to prepare Mushroom Yu Sheng and 8 Treasure Brown Rice.

      When:           Sat 10/1/09 10.30am to 1pm

      Where:          NutriHub.

      Price:            $50 inclusive of lunch plus Nutrition talk on what & how to supplement your diet, weight management and how to do simple detox.

      Please contact Ms Vinitha Ang at 9-2368402 for registration before 9/1/09.

      To view their menu and other workshops, plus services, visit their blog: http://www.nutrihub.blogspot.com

      Can We Afford To Continue Eating Meat?

      This article from the BBC website asks whether the planet, even with technological advances, can continue to sustain our growing human population with its growing consumption of the flesh of other animals:

      Here are excerpts from the article:

       “World cereal consumption has more than doubled since 1970, and meat consumption has tripled since 1961. The global fish catch grew more than six times from 1950 to 1997.

      So one question is whether the world can go on increasing its harvests at this rate - or even faster, to cater as well for the extra 75 million people born annually.

      At the moment we are not on course to achieve the Millennium Development Goal of halving world hunger by 2015. Although the proportion of hungry people is coming down, population increase means the actual number continues to rise.

      The world does produce enough to feed everyone. But the food is often in the wrong place, or unaffordable, or can't be stored long enough.

      And meat usually demands far more than grain - water, land, grain itself (34% of world grain supplies are fed to livestock reared for meat). Yet, worldwide, the richer we grow the more we turn to meat.

      Something's got to give - and not only our waistbands.

      One World, Many Minds: Intelligence In The Animal Kingdom

      This is the title of an article in the 23 Dec issue of Scientific American. The article is subtitled, “We are used to thinking of humans as occupying the sole pinnacle of evolutionary intelligence. That's where we're wrong.

      Here are excerpts:

      One of the most common misconceptions about brain evolution is that it represents a linear process culminating in the amazing cognitive powers of humans, with the brains of other modern species representing previous stages.

      Over the past 30 years, however, research in comparative neuroanatomy clearly has shown that complex brains—and sophisticated cognition—have evolved from simpler brains multiple times independently in separate lineages, or evolutionarily related groups: in mollusks such as octopuses, squid and cuttlefish; in bony fishes such as goldfish and, separately again, in cartilaginous fishes such as sharks and manta rays; and in reptiles and birds.

      Nonmammals have demonstrated advanced abilities such as learning by copying the behavior of others, finding their way in complicated spatial environments, manufacturing and using tools, and even conducting mental time travel (remembering specific past episodes or anticipating unique future events). Collectively, these findings are helping scientists to understand how intelligence can arise—and to appreciate the many forms it can take.

      Read the entire article at http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=one-world-many-minds&print=true

      Veg Blog From Jakarta

      A vegetarian in Jakarta has started a blog in Bahasa Indonesia:

      http://www.newvegeplanet.co.cc

      Vegan Triathlon In New Zealand – 22 Feb, 2009

      The 5th Christchurch Vegan Triathlon will be held 22 Feb, 2009. This event is open to all people who have been vegan for a minimum of six weeks prior to the triathlon, that is from Sun, 11 Jan 2009. The definition of vegan is "someone who excludes all animal products from their diet". The cost is $20.

      For more: www.vegantriathlon.org.nz or join their email list; email Anna at info@... with a clear subject heading please so that your email isn’t mistaken for spam!

      How I Became A Vegetarian

      Story shared by Amarinder Singh, a 23 year old paralegal at Island Law Corporation:

      Growing up, even the sight of vegetables was enough to cause me to cringe. I thought of vegetables as raw, dry and flavourless, a pathetic contrast to other convenient gastronomic delights, such as sumptuous fish, juicy chicken and, of course, mouth-watering fast food and fried food. Health concerns at that young age were rudimentary and in any case were secondary to the instantaneous pleasure of these meat dishes. In the case of chicken, perhaps I even derived a sense of power from biting into the flesh and wolfing it down. It was all part of the food chain perhaps was my thinking. Now I look back with regret and disgust. I was so 'one-track' in my thinking.

      Perhaps the vegetarian fare available at school canteens wasn't a big help either, as it was usually lacking in punch and was perhaps cut/chopped in ways that were hard to eat. Leafy vegetables were not the in thing, compared to the sweets and snacks available. Cauliflower, brinjal, cabbage, bean sprouts, eggplant, bottle gourd all looked so forbidding and singularly un-delicious but I was soon to discover their magic as I grew weary of meaty dishes.

      In my late teens, I became more experimental. I was willing to get out of my comfort zone a little more. I still remember when I tried aloo gobi (spicy potatoes and cauliflower medley) at my mum's best friend's house. Until then, that dish had been a complete no-go area for me. But in Indian custom, guests have to be polite, so I psyched myself up to shove down the dish. I had a cup of water handy, in case I had to swallow it whole with water if it proved too unpalatable. However, to my great surprise, the potatoes were soft, the cauliflower tender and beautifully blended into the potatoes. It was spicy and tasty. I have been sampling Indian vegetarian cuisine ever since, and even picked up cooking myself. The almost unlimited variety available, which I had ignored for so long, never ceases to amaze.

      There are other reasons I moved towards vegetarianism. Most importantly, I rediscovered myself spiritually by reading about Mahatma Gandhi and his own transformation. Greater awareness and first-hand experiences of the ills of meat eating also played a part. Crucially, the many fears I had over ditching meat have proven unfounded. My energy level has never been better, and there have not been the negative side effects that you so often hear from naysayers about a vegetarian diet.

      With so much left to discover in Indian vegetarian cuisine and vegetarian cuisine in general, thankfully a relapse into meat-eating is definitely unlikely to be on the cards!

      Visit http://www.vegetarian-society.org/?q=fdl
      for a comprehensive list of vegetarian eateries

      or email us at info@...

      to notify us of new places.

      Chief Editor:                               Dr George M Jacobs

      Editorial Consultant:                   Mr Gangasudhan

      Back issues are available at http://www.vegetarian-society.org/index.php?q=taxonomy/term/3

      The VSS eNewsletter is non-copyrighted, and readers are encouraged to share the content.

      Disclaimer: The information provided in this Newsletter is solely for the consideration of the subscribers, and does not constitute an endorsement by

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)