VSS eNewsletter - 17 November 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2008

      In this issue...

      VSS NEWS

      Parent Support Group – First Meeting And Survey

      A Bolly Good Time – The Sequel

      VSS Exhibition at AMK Library – Volunteers Needed

      GENERAL NEWS

      Volunteers Needed to Deliver Organic Veggies to Cancer Patients

      How Many Words Can You Make From the Word ‘Vegetarian’?

      Holiday Recipes

      Green Building Promotes Veg

      An Example of the Meat-Hunger Connection

      VSS NEWS

      Parent Support Group – First Meeting & Survey

      The first meeting of the Parent Support Group for vegetarian parents will be held on Sun, 23 Nov, 3pm, at Kampung Senang Holistic Lifestyle Centre near Aljunied MRT. A dietician, Diana David and a counsellor, Samuel Chua, will be on hand to offer ideas, and VSS will be doing a smoothie demo as well. There’s also a survey that you might want to complete, whether or not you are able to attend the session on 23 Nov.

      The questionnaire is available at http://www.vegetarian-society.org/files/psg-questnaire.doc, further details can be found at http://www.vegetarian-society.org/?q=node/936, and those interested can also drop an email to psg@...

      A Bolly Good Time – The Sequel

      Jaipal Gill, founder of the NUS Animal Welfare Group and formerly a member of a Bhangra dance troupe, kindly offered to teach us Bhangra dancing. The first class was last Saturday, and Jaipal is back by popular demand this Sat, 22 Nov, 8pm at the home of the VSS Social Officer, Kheng Chua, 7 Jalan Binchang,  near Bishan MRT, Tel 6258.5031, kheng@....

      This free event is open to all readers of this newsletter. Dress code: Pubjabi (optional); Happy feet (mandatory). Please bring drinks or snacks to share. To learn a bit about Bhangra:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XnntMuR-Y8

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW7sAMTLDas&feature=related

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RyrkamJNro&feature=related

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBia1KqFCOo&feature=related

      VSS Exhibition At AMK Library – Volunteers Needed

      One of the ways that VSS brings its message to the public is exhibitions at libraries. Our colourful and informative exhibition features videos, display panels, sculptures, flyers, stickers, VCDs and opportunities for input.

      Our next exhibition will be at Ang Mo Kio Public Library 9-22 Dec. The library is at 4300 Ang Mo Kio Ave 6, S. 569842, and is open daily, 10am-9pm; Tel: 6332.3255; Nearest MRT, Ang Mo Kio; Nearest Bus Interchange, Ang Mo Kio; Buses: SBS 13, 86, 162, 138, SMRT 851, 852, 853.

      If you can help staff the exhibition – shifts are 3-4 hours - please contact wenjin@...

      GENERAL NEWS

      Volunteers Needed To Deliver Organic Veggies To Cancer Patients

      Our friends at Kampung Senang deliver organic vegetables to cancer patients as part of their Holistic Support for People Affected by Cancer programme. The number of people in the programme is ever growing but not the pool of volunteers. In addition to delivering organic vegetables and fruits, volunteers also help people understand why they should eat more veg and less meat.

      If you can help, contact Lim Siew Lee, Kampung Senang Charity & Education Foundation, Blk 106, Aljunied Crescent, #01-205, Singapore 380106, Tel: 6749 8509 Fax: 6844 5815, siewlee@...  www.kg-senang.org.sg

      How Many Words Can You Make From The Word ‘Vegetarian’?

      Just for fun (no prize), VSS had a game in our eNewsletter. The game asked people to see how many words they could make from the letters in our favourite word: ‘vegetarian’. Rules were:

      a.    single words only

      b.    words can be from 1-10 letters long

      c.    words must be in the Cambridge Advance Learners Dictionary:

                http://dictionary.cambridge.org

      d.    no abbreviations or proper nouns

      Believe it or not, the top entry contained 150 words?

      Holiday Recipes

      A reader sent the following sources of veg holiday recipes.

      http://www.gentlethanksgiving.org/guide/recipes.htm

      http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/yule.html

      http://www.theveggietable.com/recipes/christmas.html

      http://www.vegansociety.com/food/recipes/special_occasions/christmas.php

      http://www.ivu.org/recipes/holiday

      http://therawchefblog.com/category/raw-recipes

      Green Building Promotes Veg

      What we eat can play a powerful part in reducing humans’ huge ecological footprint. More and more people are starting to recognize this. For instance, last week we heard about a medical doctor who has gone both vegan and carless.

      In addition to greening our diets and our transportation, we can also green our buildings. A great example is Poh Ern Shih temple, 9 Chwee Chian Road S. 117488, Tel: 6474.3926, Web: www.pohernshih.org, Email: president@...

      In addition to all the green features listed below (see their website for details), the temple plans to put up a big sign on their Front Gate indicating that they are a Vegan Temple.

      A:  Solar energy

      B:  Hydro energy

      C:  Wind energy

      D:  Recycle rain water:

      E:  Recycle of urine as fertilizer

      F:  Avoid use of air-con

      G:  Avoid use of furniture made from trees

      H:  Compost for topsoil

      I:   Avoid use of toxic Insecticides

      J:   Recycle envelopes for re-mailing

      K:  Revive the butterfly population in our urban jungle

      For a secular tour for 5+ people of the temple’s eco features, email Poh Ern Shih’s president, Lee Boon Siong, at boonsionglee@.... Recently, tours have been arranged for schools, representatives of other countries and people from government offices.

      An Example Of Meat-Hunger Connection

      This article, excerpted from a publication of the US Grains Council, illustrates how grains that could go to feed malnourished people instead go to feed non-human animals whom humans later eat. Note that grain even goes to fish farms.

      Egypt's meat economy being built by US grains salesmen

      www.grains.org/galleries/global_updates/glo_11_6_08.pdf

      Market Development, Expansion Opportunities in Egypt .

      The U.S. Grains Council vies to expand demand of U.S. feed grains and their co-products in Egypt by working hands-on in the country's vibrant livestock and poultry industries and the growing aquaculture sector.

      Dr. Darwin Britzman, USGC consultant, traveled to Egypt Oct. 22-26 to provide training to feed mill operators and endusers regarding the actual feeding of co-products and coarse grains, and modern handling methods. In the livestock sector, Britzman said Egypt must continue to encourage the development of the smaller feedlots (200-500 head).

      "The Council has been instrumental in encouraging the building of smaller feedlots in Egypt ," Britzman said. "These are, of course, more affordable for more Egyptian investors than the larger feedlots. There are now about 400 of these smaller feedlots in Egypt . These could eventually become reliable customers of U.S. DDGS (distiller's dried grains with solubles). We are working to educate beef and dairy producers that DDGS can be fed at levels as high as 30 and 40 percent." In the poultry industry, the common practice in Egypt is to start the birds on low levels of DDGS, 5 percent, and to increase it to 7.5-10 percent as they get older. "By continuing education efforts, Egyptian poultry producers will likely begin using high levels of DDGS at the very beginning, one day of age," he said.

      Market development opportunities, according to Britzman, can be found in Egypt 's growing aquaculture industry. He foresees "excellent potential" for U.S. DDGS in Egypt 's aquaculture (fish farming) sector. Fish consumption in Egypt is approximately 13 to 15 pounds per capita. There are 970,000 metric tons of fish processed in Egypt , of which 61 percent are produced locally, mostly tilapia.

      "Production is expected to double in the next 5 to 10 years," Britzman said. "Currently 150,000 tons of aquaculture feed are being manufactured by four companies. Much more is needed for more intensive aquaculture production."

      According to Britzman, some manufactures are incorporating DDGS into fish rations. However, he cited a lack of knowledge on what the maximum amount is of DDGS recommended in the commercial fish feeds.

      Visit http://www.vegetarian-society.org/?q=fdl
      for a comprehensive list of vegetarian eateries

      or email us at info@...

      to notify us of new places.

      Chief Editor:                             Dr George M Jacobs

      Layout Consultant:                   Mr Gangasudhan

      Back issues are available at http://www.vegetarian-society.org/index.php?q=taxonomy/term/3

      The VSS eNewsletter is non-copyrighted, and readers are encouraged to share the content.

      Disclaimer: The information provided in this Newsletter is solely for the consideration of the subscribers, and does not constitute an endorsement by the Vegetarian Society of Singapore.