VSS eNewsletter 4 August 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2008

      VSS eNewsletter, 5 Aug 2008

      VSS News

      Red, White and Veg National Day Gathering

      Hike to MacRitchie Tree Top with VSS

      Talking with the Government

      Other News

      Flavours of SE Asia Cooking Class

      Veg Pre-Pregnancy and Confinement Recipes

      To Save the Economy, Change Your Diet

      How I Became a Vegetarian

      New Green Pasture Vegetarian Cooking Course

      Anti-Aging Through a Plant-Based Diet

      News for Knees: Veg Organic Shop with Veg Glucosamine

      Meat Eater Predicts a Veg Future

      The Wonders of Olive Oil

      VSS News

      Red, White and Veg National Day Gathering

      Feast on delicious vegetarian versions of local favourites ?Chicken Rice, Indian Rojak, Gado Gado and more from Gokul Vegetarian Restaurant. Be charmed by our special guest, vegan raw food chef, Linda Loo. All this plus door gifts, great company, and the live telecast of the National Day Parade on a large garden screen.

      So let's help create a kinder, healthier Nation and celebrate this special day together, Vegetarian Style!

      Sat, 9 Aug, 6.30pm, 7 Jalan Binchang (10 mins walk from Bishan MRT)

      Cost for VSS members: $20, non-members: $30

      Capacity is limited to 50 people (on a first come, first served basis).

      To book your place: http://www.vegetarian-society.org/?q=node/799

      Payment can be made online via Paypal. Cheques should be made payable to 'Vegetarian Society ( Singapore )' and mailed to:

      3 Pemimpin Drive,
      #07-02, Lip Hing Building
      Singapore 576147

      We look forward to seeing you soon!

      Hike to MacRitchie Tree Top with VSS

      Space is still available to enjoy the wide open spaces with VSS on the Tree Top Walk at MacRitchie http://www.wildsingapore.com/places/ttw.htm

      Date: 17 Aug (Sun)

      Time: If meeting at Bishan MRT taxi stand ?7.45am

      Meet up point at MacRitchie: on Westlake Ave - 8am (see map)

      http://www.vegetarian-society.org/files/images/mac-hike-mtg-pt.jpg

      Nearby parking is hard to find after 7am

      Bring: Drinking water and walking shoes

      Duration: 3?hr hike (round trip)

      Price: Free for VSS members and friends
      Walk Leader: Linda Loo

      Objectives: Exercise, camaraderie; walking, talking and enjoying the fresh air and nature, which we help to protect by eating veg

      If you're coming, pls RSVP to
      kheng@... with name and mobile.

      Talking with the Government

      Recently, a VSS member had a polite public exchange with a government leader about the link between animal-based foods and environmental destruction. Here are brief, unofficial excerpts from the government leader's response.

      1. The leader hasn't yet read the UN report, 'Livestock's Long Shadow', which states that livestock production's emissions of greenhouse gases are even greater than those of transportation: http://www.fao.org/docrep/010/a0701e/a0701e00.htm

      2. It is preferable to raise general consciousness of the need to protect the environment rather than propose solutions such as eating less meat. There can be different solutions developed by different people after the awareness has been raised.

      3. Global warming is a global problem which demands a global solution.  Singapore is small. The things we can do alone here are small. However, if we can develop new technologies, we can help combat climate change on a global level. Besides doing our part as a member of the responsible global community, such initiatives will be economically viable and attractive, as they can be exported to the world market. NEWATER is an example of such a technology.

      4. Singapore has a reputation of being a nanny state. Perhaps, the government shouldn't dictate people's food choices.

      5. Perhaps not eating meat or eating less meat will adversely affect out health.

      6. People here are already eating less meat as they have become more health-conscious over the years.

      Reading this response helps us to see areas that we need to address when talking with the government and with the public. Let's look for more opportunities to engage in this dialogue.

      Kampung Senang Holistic Lifestyle Centre, Blk 106, Aljunied Crescent, #01-205, S. 380106, Tel: 6742.6627, email@..., http://www.kg-senang.org.sg is sponsoring a 3-session Flavours of SE Asia cooking class with Ms Glenis Lim.

      Dates are 15 Nov (Khmer), 22 Nov ( Siam ) and 29 Nov (Temasek). Fee is $60, excluding ingredients. For more information: Wan Fei at 6749.8509 or wanfei@...

      Veg Pre-Pregnancy and Confinement Recipes

      The Asian Parent - www.theasianparent.com - is a Singapore-based website with, not surprisingly, Asia-based parenting stories and information. The editor wrote recently to share some recipes for the pre-pregnancy and confinement periods:

      http://www.theasianparent.com/articles3.php?reg_id=37&cat_id=9

      http://www.theasianparent.com/articles3.php?reg_id=38&cat_id=9

      The website also has two pages with lists of places to ask for confinement food delivery: http://www.theasianparent.com/upload_folder_quicklinks/folder_13/Confinement%20Food%20Delivery.pdf

      And for confinement nannies: http://www.theasianparent.com/upload_folder_quicklinks/folder_14/Listing%20of%20Confinement%20Nannies.pdf

      Most of these probably aren't veg. Haven't had time to check.

      To Save the Economy, Change Your Diet

      This article from The New Scientist magazine discusses the link between the economy and diet, including eating less meat.

      http://environment.newscientist.com/channel/earth/dn14391-americans-must-diet-to-save-their-economy.html?DCMP=NLC-nletter&nsref=dn14391

      How I Became a Vegetarian

      Earlier this year, we asked people to send stories about their journey to vegetarianism. Here's one person's story. Please send yours to info@... We prefer stories of 300 words or less, and we can help with the editing.

      My first attempt at a vegetarian diet was in 2001 when my grandmother passed away. I went veg solely out of respect for her. After 7 days, I could not wait to eat meat again. I needed a more compelling reason to be a vegetarian.

      While I was in the army in 2003, I attended a seminar that recommended vegetarianism as a way to achieve better health and vitality. I decided to try being a vegetarian for 7 days. Surprisingly, I did feel better.

      It was not easy being vegetarian in the army. The canteen the others went to was awarded with the "best cookhouse" award, but the canteen I went to for vegetarian food was quite awful. The only convenient thing for me was I usually did not have to queue for my food because there were only 5 vegetarians in the entire army camp.

      My family tried to convert me back to meat. They recommended a "twice a month" vegetarian practice observed by some Chinese. However, I was not deterred. I could see and feel the benefits of a vegetarian diet, and that was all the mattered to me at that time. My fitness level improved, and my skin looked nicer.

      However, I wondered how long I could last as a vegetarian. Fortunately, I stumbled upon PETA's "Meet Your Meat" video on the internet. There, I learnt how much suffering meat eating was causing to animals. Being a cat lover and guardian to a wonderful "tuxedo" cat, Milo , I realized how selfish it was to love my cat and expect other animals to be killed for my eating pleasure. If I had the cheek to call myself an animal lover, how could I be nice only to "pet animals" and have other animals die for me?

      I have now crossed the 5 year mark as a vegetarian, and I am now making the full transition to a vegan diet. I no longer have any desire for meat. Once you get rid of the cause, everything else is easy. --Vincent Liaw

      Anti-Aging Through a Plant-Based Diet

      Adventist Community Services is organsing the following talk.

      Synopsis: Learn how to use a plant-based diet for anti-aging without using supplements or drugs. Find out what types of foods will accelerate or decelerate the aging process. Find out the difference between body age and physical age.  Learn how to look and feel younger than your physical age.

      Speaker: Mark Chan is a certified NEWSTART Health Educator. NEWSTART is an acronym for 8-fold health principles. Mark has conducted numerous health lectures in churches, corporations and Resident Committee Centres in Singapore .

      Date: 17 Aug (Sun)

      Time: 3-5pm

      Venue: 6 Ashwood Grove, S (739956)

      Fees: Free for Vegetarian Society ( Singapore ) members; $5.00 per person for enewsletter subscribers (Usual: $10.00)

      Sms your name to 9743.8362 or email Mark markchan@... to register. Hurry, the talk has vacancies for 30 people only.

      News for Knees: Veg Organic Shop with Veg Glucosamine

      A small organic shop "Oasis Organic" is at your service in Shaw Tower , Beach Road selling 100% vegetarian formula glucosamine supplement, made with vegetarian gelatin. Glucosamine has been recommended for people with knee pain and other joint difficulties. Most glucosamine products on the market are seashell-derived.

      Oasis Organic, 100 Beach Road #01 - 49 Shaw Tower , S. 189702

      Tel: 6299.1695; Karen/Hui Lun

      New Green Pasture Vegetarian Cooking Course

      Sophia Teh runs New Green Pastures Caf on Level 4 of Fortune Centre, the only eatery with a VSS donation can. Please support her. Your taste buds will thank you.

      by Mdm Sophia Teh (in Mandarin)

      Date: 3, 10, 17, 24 Aug (Sun)

      Time: 3-6pm

      Investment: SGD200 (4 classes, include dinners)

      Menu

      3 Aug

      Rojak-licious

      The Wholesome 5

      Under the Sea

      10 Aug

      Cream of Rainbow

      Miso Ramen

      Radish in Concert

      17 Aug

      Prosperous Rice

      Golden Roll

      Joyful Blossom

      24 Aug

      Wholesome Delights

      Veg Party

      Premium Rice Dumpling

      Bonus

      Bamboo Sheath Roll

      Pineapple Nostalgia

      Jolly Jelly

      Meat Eater Predicts a Veg Future

      Nicholas Kristof is a columnist for The New York Times. In his column dated 31 Jul08, he discusses his childhood on a farm and his appreciation of the intelligence of the fellow animals held captive and killed there. And, although he still eats meat, he predicts a future in which vegetarianism is likely to be the norm. Here are excerpts in which Kristof describes his childhood farm experiences. The last paragraph, in particular, stands out.

      Then there were the geese, the most admirable creatures I've ever met. We raised Chinese white geese, a common breed, and they have distinctive personalities. They mate for life and adhere to family values that would shame most of those who dine on them.

      While one of our geese was sitting on her eggs, her gander would go out foraging for food ?and if he found some delicacy, he would rush back to give it to his mate. Sometimes I would offer males a dish of corn to fatten them up ?but it was impossible, for they would take it all home to their true loves.

      Once a month or so, we would slaughter the geese. When I was 10 years old, my job was to lock the geese in the barn and then rush and grab one. Then I would take it out and hold it by its wings on the chopping block while my Dad or someone else swung the ax.

      The 150 geese knew that something dreadful was happening and would cower in a far corner of the barn, and run away in terror as I approached. Then I would grab one and carry it away as it screeched and struggled in my arms.

      Very often, one goose would bravely step away from the panicked flock and walk tremulously toward me. It would be the mate of the one I had caught, male or female, and it would step right up to me, protesting pitifully. It would be frightened out of its wits, but still determined to stand with and comfort its lover.

      Read the entire column at http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/31/opinion/31kristof.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

      The Wonders of Olive Oil

      Kenosis Living Spring presents another of its vegetarian health seminars. This one is on the wonders of olive oil for health and personal care. The details are as follows:

      Date:         16 Aug, Sat

      Time:         2 - 4.30 p.m.

      Venue:       Church of Sts Peter and Paul (3rd floor Chapel)

                        225A Queen Street, S. 188551

                        http://www.veritas.org.sg/cdir.php?action=disp_chu&value=2

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)