VSS eNewsletter 24 June 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2008

      VSS eNewsletter, 24 June 2008

      VSS News

      Singapore Meatout Week – 7-13 July

      Veg Food Fair in Little India – 12 July

      Volunteers Needed for VSS Exhibition at Jurong West Community Library

      Meet the VSS Exco

      VSS New Beginnings Launch Party – Too Good To Do Just Once

      How I Became a Vegetarian

      Other News

      Racial Harmony Day Lunch at Kampung Senang Tampines – 6 July

      Golden Shoe Veg Stall with Its Own Website

      Talk and Food Demo on Tempeh

      What's Wrong with the Way We Eat

      Orchard Gets an Organic Vegan Café

      Her World in September

      Middle East's First Veg Week

      Diet of Disaster

      Humane Myth Website

      Filmmaking Opportunity for Ages 15-35

      Juice Bar with 3 Outlets

      Less Oil Please

      The Case against Meat with a Weak Rebuttal

      VSS News

      Singapore Meatout Week – 7-13 July

      Meatout is an event celebrated in about 25 countries around the world, usually on a day in March: http://meatout.org The idea is to encourage meat eaters to try going a day or more without meat.

      In S'pore, we've been celebrating Meatout for the past few years, but we do it a bit differently. First, as S'pore is more advanced than most countries when it comes to meat reduction, instead of just a day, we do an entire week. Second, instead of March, we celebrate Singapore Meatout Week in July to coincide with the S'pore Food Festival.

      The main events for this year's Singapore Meatout Week are listed below. They are Kampung Senang's Racial Harmony Day event, 6 Jul, the VSS exhibition at Jurong West Community Library, 28 Jun-13 Jul and the Vegetarian Food Fair in Little India, 12 July. Details below.

      Veg Food Fair in Little India – 12 July

      VSS will have a booth at The Vegetarian Experience, a charity veg food fair in Little India, across from Mustapha, on Sat, 12 Jul, 11am-8pm: http://www.mft.org.sg/vegetarianexp.asp

      All proceeds go to helping the sick and needy elderly. To buy tickets: 6368.3301.

      Here are some comments from people who staff a VSS booth earlier this month:

      "Caring for others, whether they are humans or other animals, acts like a candle, which brings hopes as well as fragility. Let's be a candle and spread the happiness across all beings." Lee Jia Wei, new volunteer

      "I find it hard to convince myself that my little effort of volunteering can help to change anything…. but I also understand that every successful mission starts from the little that comes from everyone." Thomas Tay, new volunteer

      Volunteers Needed for VSS Exhibition at Jurong West Community Library

      From 28 Jun to 13 Jul, VSS will have an exhibition at Jurong West Community Library. We need at least 4 people each day so that we can keep the exhibition staffed from 10am-9pm. If you can help, pls contact Fang Qi at limfangqi@...

      Here is a poem in which a volunteer describes her experience at an event VSS was at recently (the statue she refers to is that of a starving child – we use the statue to highlight the link between meat and world hunger):

      I stand faceless in a crowd

      In front of a booth

      With facts that speak out loud

      Passes by a youth

      Spying the statue of a famished child bowed

      As if it spoke to her out loud

      In her tracks she stops

      She lingers, reading and jaw a-drops

      A brochure from me she takes

      A tentative smile she makes

      A name on the list she leaves

      A thank you from me she receives

      If, in a tiny little way

      She decides to eat less meat tomorrow and today

      Please know that she has made my day

      From Vanda, new volunteer

      Meet the VSS Exco

      One of the new features of our new website is a page with photos and short bios of the VSS Exco members: http://vegetarian-society.org/?q=node/683

      Would you like to be a VSS Exco member? It's good for an organisation to have new people joining the leadership. Maybe someday you will take a spot in this 'rogue's gallery' of VSS Exco members. The best way to do this is to become active, get to know what VSS does and figure out how you can fit in, given your own unique mix of talents and interests.

      This quote from a volunteer at the VSS booth at a recent event captures the spirit of people active in VSS:

      It was in response to a call for volunteers thru the newsletter that I decided to offer my spare time to help out at the VSS booth. While I am not sure whether anyone walked away from our booth as a converted vegetarian, I am glad that we shared some facts about meat consumption with passer-bys. On a personal note, one of most frequent questions I get is – 'How do u give up meat?' I tell them, 'It is not so hard, really; just try for a meal, then a whole day and before you know it, you can celebrate an anniversary.

      Turning vegetarian is one of the wisest and happiest decisions of my life. By volunteering, I wish to tell others that it is painless to go vegetarian. It is a good way to show your respect for life - the animal kingdom as well as humanity. Although it takes a far stretch of imagination to think that all humankind will turn vegetarian, it is good to know that like-minded vegetarians are reaching out to the public for a right cause." -Tan Peng, new volunteer

      VSS New Beginnings Launch Party – Too Good To Do Just Once

      The VSS New Beginnings launch party was a full house - 60 people. It was an excellent event. Next time, we'll look for a larger place - at least 100 (any ideas?).

      Our three speakers, who are heroes of veg in S'pore, were great. Teresa Hsu, the 111-year-old vegetarian reminded us to enjoy the simple pleasures in life, and that we should always look for how to serve others, including our fellow animals.

      M. Rameshon, the national record holder in the marathon, shared some of his training secrets, and Ang Hwee, from the Singapore Weightlifting Federation, gave us an impressive demonstration of his weightlifting prowess, executing a clean and jerk lift of 120kgs. What stood out with all three was their dedication to being veg, despite the obstacles, human and otherwise, that they have encountered.

      VSS would like to thank our sponsors, Essential Living – http://www.essliv.com - who provided the venue, soft drinks, vouchers and a gift hamper, Lavera who provided the door gift (their facial and body products, not tested on our fellow animals, have won 400 awards and are available at Watson's), and Honeypot - http://www.honeypot.com.sg - who provided vouchers and a gift hamper for their Australian-made products that are also not tested on our fellow animals.

      How I Became a Vegetarian

      Last issue, we asked for stories about how readers became vegetarians. Here's a good one. Please send yours to info@... If you're not 100% veg, no worries, you can write about what led you to reduce meat consumption.

      On the 15th day of the Lunar New Year, two years ago, I was in Chinatown , watching the fireworks. It was magnificent, so much so, I indulged into my last meat meal, only to fall so ill that night that I vowed to never touch meat again. That was how I become a vegetarian, for a simple selfish reason.

      It took me many months to fully understand what it takes to be a vegetarian, including some of the related health concerns. I needed to draw up a balanced diet. When we feel the animals' sufferings, we strengthen our resolve to figure out how to stay vegetarian.

      One surprising result of being a vegetarian is that I have grown closer to animals. Before, I was afraid to approach them, but vegetarianism motivated me to learn how to treat animals with respect and communicate with them. Furthermore, showing more concern for other animals led me to care more for family, friends and others.

      Recently, I have become a vegan. For example, I pay attention to the skin care products I use, only buying ones that are environmentally friendly, contain no animal products and were not test on any of our fellow animals.

      It is wrong idea to say vegans give up a lot of "enjoyment". There is lots of yummy vegan food in Singapore . Many vegetarian stores have sprung up, and the supply of foods suitable for vegans is spreading like a wildfire! I hope this is not a fad, but rather a good sign to say that more people are joining the vegetarian family, thus, the growing supply is a result of a sustainable increase in demand. J

      All beings share a common wish and should have a fair share of the pie, the happiness of everyone! --Lee Jia Wei

      Other News

      Racial Harmony Day Lunch at Kampung Senang Tampines – 6 July

      Our friends at Kampung Senang are starting up Singapore Meatout Week with an event for what they are calling Racial Harmony and Eco Harmony Day on Sun, 6 Jul.

      Where: Kampung Senang, Blk 840 Tampines St 82

      When: Sun, 6 Jul, 9am-3pm, lunch 11am-1.30pm

      What: Chinese, Malay, Indian and Western vegetarian dishes

      Why: To encourage everyone to become vegetarian or eat less meat so as to reduce food wastage and reduce carbon emission.

      Call: 6749.8509 to indicate your attendance.

      Price: Donations

      Golden Shoe Veg Stall with Its Own Website

      Not many hawker stalls have their own website. This is just one of the features that makes My Vegetarian Way unique.

      Golden Shoe Car Park,
      Market Street Food Centre, #03-24
      (A min's walk from Raffles MRT)

      M-F: 7.30-3.30

      http://www.myvegetarianway.com

      Talk and Food Demo on Tempeh

      Chef Oh Chong Fah will be doing a talk and food demo on tempeh, Sun, 6 Jul, 2pm-4.30pm, Awareness Place , #03-39 Bras Basah Complex. The session – in English and Mandarin - will cover the making of tempeh, its history and nutritional value, and cooking techniques. Plus, there will be food tasting.

      Cost is $15 per pax. To register, contact semd@... or 6336.5067, 6337.7582.

      What's Wrong with the Way We Eat

      In this YouTube video (with good picture and sound quality), Mark Bittman, a food writer from The New York Times who is a non-vegetarian talks frankly and clearly about the problems meat causes, and calls for a major reduction in meat consumption: "less meat, less junk, more plants". The video focuses on the U.S. , but most of its points apply elsewhere:
      http://veg4earth.org/links/video-education/whats-wrong-with-the-way-we-eat

      Orchard Gets an Organic Vegan Café

      Orchard Road has become a bit of a desert in terms of veg outlets. Fortunately, an oasis is blooming in the desert with the recent opening of NutriHub - the Organic Fusion Café at 5 Koek Road , B2-25/26 Cuppage Plaza, next to Centrepoint, behind OG Orchard.

      The place is open daily from 10am-8pm (closed on public holidays), gchoo@..., 6738.2746,

      http://www.thedailyenlightenment.com/temp/112.pdf

      Her World in September

      Last week, we sent an email asking for help for a Her World journalist writing an article about relationships. She received at least one reply. Thx. She expects the article to appear in the Sep issue.

      And, the journalist told us that her own parents are veg, though since she didn't say anything about herself, we'd guess that probably she isn't.

      Middle East's First Veg Week

      Veg is everywhere! Or almost everywhere. This article describes preparations for a Veg Week in the Middle East .

      http://www.thenational.ae/article/20080531/NATIONAL/169461374/1022/NEWS

      Diet of Disaster

      Diet of Disaster is the title of a large compilation by Tony Wardle of the many ills fuelled by meat: http://www.viva.org.uk/campaigns/hot/dietofdisaster/

      Humane Myth Website

      'Humane Myth' is the name of a new website. The site's creators define humane myth as, "An idea being propagated by the animal-using industry and some animal protection organizations that it is possible to use and kill animals in a manner that can be fairly described as respectful or compassionate or humane."

      Have a look and see if you agree: http://www.humanemyth.org

      Juice Bar with 3 Outlets

      A long-time member wrote to sing the praises of a new veg outlet with 3 branches. Tracy Juice Cultures serves mostly organic fresh fruit and vegetable smoothies, iced drinks and hot drinks with multiple ingredients, including Pine Lemon, Apple Wheat Grass, Creamy Beetroot, Eleven Wild, Nutty Paradise, Sea Bird's Nest (no ingredients of animal origin), plus Pumpkin Kaya and Chinese Purple Yam. Free samples available. Here are the details.

      Tracy Juice Culture

      Vivocity #B2-K8, 1 Harbourfront Walk, S. 098582

      6224-0701

      Daily 10am-10pm

      MRT: Harbourfront

      Tracy Juice Culture

      Raffles City Shopping Centre, #B1-50 (opening in July)

      6336-4418

      Daily 10am-10pm

      MRT: City Hall

      Tracy Juice Culture

      Fortune Centre #01-34, 190 Middle Road, S. 188978

      Tel: 6336-0754

      Daily 9am-7.30pm

      MRT: Bugis

      www.tracyjuiceculture.com

      andysengsc@...

      Filmmaking Opportunity for Ages 15-35

      Substation sent us the following opportunity announcement. Sounds like a good chance to make a short film on veg.

      I would like to introduce myself and invite the you to participate and attend the talks for Reel Revolution 2008, a youth filmmaking mentorship programme which pairs young people (age 15-35) with established filmmakers to produce 4 min video essays on social issues.

      The theme this year is "Our Environment", to be interpreted as widely as possible: the natural environment, the political environment, the journalistic environment, workers' environment, the history of the surroundings etc.

      Apart from the opportunity to produce a film for your cause and use the film as an effective visual communication for your future presentations/talks, the programme will also feature talks by prominent members of civil society which is ideal for networking and the sharing of ideas and resources amongst the various groups.

      Regards,
      Low Beng Kheng
      Programme Manager - Moving Images
      The Substation
      (O) 6337 7535
      (HP) 9236 1402
      bengkheng@...

      Less Oil Please

      Here's a recent study of obesity among people in Jiangsu province, China . The conclusion of this one study suggests that while vegetables are good, we shouldn't overdo the oil when cooking them. The term 'central obesity' refer to obesity of the body trunk, excluding the limbs.

      International Journal of Obesity (2008) 32, 975–984; Vegetable-rich food pattern is related to obesity in China; Z Shi1, X Hu, B Yuan, G Hu, X Pan, Y Dai, J E Byles and G Holmboe-Ottesen

      Abstract

      Objective:
      To investigate the association between a vegetable-rich food pattern and obesity among Chinese adults.

      Design:
      A food pattern rich in vegetables is associated with lower risk of obesity and non-communicable chronic disease in Western countries. A similar food pattern is found in the Chinese population but the cooking method is different. A cross-sectional household survey of 2849 men and women aged 20 years and over was undertaken in 2002 in Jiangsu Province (response rate, 89.0% ). Food intake was assessed by food frequency questionnaire. Factor analysis was used to identify food patterns. Nutrient intake was measured by food weighing plus consecutive individual 3-day food records. Height, weight and waist circumference were measured.

      Results:
      The prevalence of general obesity (BMI 28 kg m- 2) was 8.0% in men and 12.7% in women, central obesity was 19.5% (90 cm) and 38.2% (80 cm), respectively. A four-factor solution explained 28.5% of the total variance in food frequency intake. The vegetable-rich food pattern (whole grains, fruits and vegetables) was positively associated with vegetable oil and energy intake. Prevalence of obesity/central obesity increased across the quartiles of vegetable-rich food pattern. After adjusting for sociodemographic factors and four distinct food patterns, the vegetable-rich pattern was independently associated with obesity. Compared with the lowest quartile of vegetable-rich pattern, the highest quartile had higher risk of general obesity (men, prevalence ratio (PR): 1.82, 95% confidence interval (CI): 1.05–3.14; women, PR: 2.25, 95% CI: 1.45–3.49).

      Conclusion:
      The vegetable-rich food pattern was associated with higher risk of obesity/central obesity in Chinese adults in both genders. This association can be linked to the high intake of energy due to generous use of oil for stir-frying the vegetables.

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)