VSS eNewsletter, 6 May 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , May 5 2:36 PM

      VSS eNewsletter, 6 May 2008

      VSS News

      More Help Needed to Staff Vesak Day Exhibition at Bright Hill Temple
      Another 10,000 VCDs Packed

      National Youth Environment Forum Features VSS Speaker/Exhibition

      VSS to Participate in Singapore Animal Welfare Symposium

      Comments from First-Time VSS Volunteers

      Other News

      Even the US Government Says Veg Is Healthy

      Top 10 Reasons Why It's Green to Go Veg

      Vegetarian Food Fair at Ngee Ann City Civic Plaza – 10-11 May

      Mother's Day Specials

      Metta Welfare Family Carnival – 8 Jun

      Veg Outlet News

      Interactive Cooking with Spelt & Herbs (Part 1)

      VSS News

      More Help Needed to Staff Vesak Day Exhibition at Bright Hill Temple
      VSS is a non-religious organisation, but we work with a wide range of religious organisations. For instance, for a few years now, we've been promoting vegetarianism during the Vesak Day celebrations at Bright Hill Temple in Bishan , Singapore 's largest Buddhist temple.

      This year, Bright Hill's exhibition is particularly timely, given the need to increase awareness of the connection between meat production and global warming. The title of this year's event is 'Exhibition on Environmentalism and Vegetarianism'. It will be held continuously from Sun, 18 May, 4pm to Mon, 19 May, 5pm

      http://www.thedailyenlightenment.com/pics/96.gif

      That's 25 hours! We need help staffing the exhibition. At the same time, VSS has also been invited to exhibit at a Vesak Day exhibition in Chinatown . We can only do both if we have a lot of volunteers to staff the exhibitions. The Bright Hill dates are 18-19 May, and the Chinatown dates are 16-19 May. If you can help, please contact lauwenjin@...

      Another 10,000 VCDs Packed

      Many thanks to the about 20 people who turned out for the VCD packing last weekend, as well as to the 3 dogs who kept us company. Also, we couldn't have done it without the folks who brought and prepared the food and washed up afterwards, and those who provided the entertainment.

      The packing was a bit of an adventure this time, because of the very late arrival of the printed insert with the VSS membership form and other info that accompanies the VCD. Stout hearts prevailed, and the VCDs are ready to be distributed in hopes of softening the hearts of other people towards our fellow animals.

      National Youth Environment Forum Features VSS Speaker/Exhibition

      VSS will be participating once again in the National Youth Environment Forum organised by ECO (Environment Challenge Organisation): http://www.eco-singapore.org

      Guest of Honour: Dr. Amy Khor Lean Suan, MP and Senior Parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of Environment and Water Resources

      Venue: Research University on Leadership, 20 Upper Circular Road #02 - 21 The Riverwalk Singapore 058416

      Date: Sat, 10 May

      Theme: "Beyond Awareness"

      Topics: Reducing our Carbon Footprint, Rethinking our Waste, Sustainable Food and Water Resources, Conserving Biodiversity

      VSS to Participate in Singapore Animal Welfare Symposium

      A VSS Exco member will be speaking as part of the Singapore Animal Welfare Symposium to be held Sat, 24 May, 8.30am-6.30pm, at SMU's Ngee Ann Kongsi Auditorium. Vegan lunch and tea snacks will be provided.

      Registration is free and closes on 16 May. Details at http://www.animalwelfare.sg

      Comments from First-Time VSS Volunteers

      Some of the people who staff the VSS booth at the recent Lianhe Wanbao Beauty and Health Care Fair were old-times who have represented VSS many times in the past. Others were first timers.

      Here are comments from two of the first timers.

      It was my 1st time volunteering with VSS. Not only did I learn more about vegetarianism myself, it helped re-ignite my passion for this very noble cause. - Fang Qi

      Why do I volunteer work with VSS? You see, time and tide wait for no man. If I want to do something to the benefit of others - the moment is Now. Sure we are always very Busy, busy, busy, and no time to spare besides attending to our daily bread and butter issues, but it's how determined we are to get certain things done. So, it's all in the mind. I value the opportunity to help others by collaborating with VSS to spread the message of a vegetarian diet. It's thanksgiving for me daily to be able to give rather than to receive! - Jennifer Loke

      Other News

      Even the US Government Says Veg Is Healthy

      Here, from the home of the hamburger, the McMother of all meat-eating countries, comes word that yes indeed, vegetarian diets can be healthy. The following is a page on the US Dept of Agriculture website:

      http://www.mypyramid.gov/tips_resources/vegetarian_diets.html

      Here's a quote from that page: "Protein needs can easily be met by eating a variety of plant-based foods. Combining different protein sources in the same meal is not necessary. Sources of protein for vegetarians include beans, nuts, nut butters, peas, and soy products (tofu, tempeh, veggie burgers)."

      Top 10 Reasons Why It's Green to Go Veg

      Here, from a TV station in Hawai'i , is a great list of green reasons to be veg. Please share it with your green friends, and please ask them to share with you their list of other ways to be green. We can learn from each other.

      http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/5786/76

      And, from the Swiss Vegetarian Union comes a fact-filled report covering much of the same meat-blighted landscape: http://www.vegetarismus.ch/info/eoeko.htm

      Vegetarian Food Fair at Ngee Ann City Civic Plaza – 10-11 May

      Singapore Buddhist Fellowship and Awareness Place are sponsoring a vegetarian food fair, featuring veg food of many different origins.

      Place: Ngee Ann City Civic Plaza

      Time: Sat, 10 May, 10am-8pm; Sun, 11 May, 10am-5pm

      Plus: Cultural exhibition and games

      Details: 6744-4635

      Mother's Day Specials

      Here are two restaurants offering Mother's Day, Sun, 11 May, specials. The first place is 100% veg, but only open two days a week, and the other has both veg and non-veg.

      1. Enso Kitchen, Open only Sun and Mon, features Japanese Shojin Ryori, zen temple, cuisine. We just found out that their Mother's Day special is already sold out, but why not invite Mom and Dad for dinner sometime in the weeks between Mother's Day and Father's Day? That way, you "feed two birds with the same bowl", so to speak. However, the special no longer applies.

      Lunch (11.30am-2.30pm; last order 1.30pm) /
      Dinner (6.30pm-10pm; last order 8pm)
      Venue: GOTO Japanese Restaurant, 14 Ann Siang Road, #01-01
      Reservation required; subject to availability
      T: 8133.1182; E:
      admin@...
      http://www.ensokitchen.com/event.htm

      2. Devagi is a well-known food expert. Her restaurant is

      Devagi's Restaurant & Cafe
      200 Upper Thomson Road
      #01-03 Thomson Imperial Court
      S. 574424
      Tel:  6255.2440

      Email: restaurant@...

      Price: $25/pax inclusive of dessert; children under 6yrs-old, 50% discount

      Menu:

      Tomato Pappadum Soup
      Fruit & Veggie Salad with Vietnamese Dressing

      Chettinad Mock Mutton Varuval
      Pepper Tofu
      Mixed Vegetable Korma

      Stir Fried Long Beans with Coconut
      Cauliflower & Potato Masala
      Sweet & Hot Tomato Chutney

      Pea Pilau or Steamed Basmati Rice
      Papadums

      Hot Pumpkin Payasam
      Or
      Gula Melaka Banana Sauce Ice Cream
      Lime Juice

      Metta Welfare Family Carnival – 8 Jun

      Mark your calendars for the Metta Welfare Charity Walk cum Family Carnival, Sun, 8 Jun, 9am-6pm. Metta Welfare has a veg café on their premises staff by graduates of their special education school.

      GoH: Ms Jessica Tan Soon Neo, MP for East Coast GRC

      Where: Metta School . Metta Bldg, 32 Simei St 1

      How: Free shuttle from Simei MRT from 8.30am

      Veg Outlet News

      Here is info from two readers

      1. There's a veg stall in Sentosa, Palawan Beach , Koufu Food Court

      Name of outlet: 8 Immortals

      Nearest MRT: Harbourfront

      Hours: 9am – 8.30pm

      Specialty dishes: lontong, crispy noodles

      Is the food organic? no

      Do they use MSG (ajinomoto)? yes

      Do they use onion & garlic? no

      2. Leo Garden
      Address: 283 New Bridge Road S (088754)
      Tel: 9040.1815
      Hours: Daily, 8.30am-8pm
      Dishes: Generous portions, lots of veg and brown rice; not too oily/salty

      Interactive Cooking with Spelt & Herbs (Part 1)

      (According to St. Hildegard of Bingen's Diet)

      Here's another programme from our friends at Kenosis Living Spring.

      Date:          10 May (Sat)

      Time:          2-5pm

      Venue:        Church of Sts Peter and Paul (3rd floor Chapel)

                        225A Queen Street, S. 188551

                        http://www.veritas.org.sg/cdir.php?action=disp_chu&value=2

                       http://sg.shownearby.com/address/15523/church_of_saint_peter_and_saint_paul/map (map)

      Speaker:     Wendy Yeo, Practicing Herbalist and Health Food Consultant

      Price:      $20 per person

      Registration: Call Selena at 9684.8646

      Dishes:
           a)  Mediterranean-style soup with green onion pesto
           b)  Herbal popiah with spelt sprout
           c)  Floral open sandwich with mixed sprouts & herbs

      Herbal tea and spelt beverage will be served.

      Fresh herbal plants, spelt related products and books will be on sale.

      The VSS eNewsletter is non-copyright. Readers are encouraged to share the contents elsewhere.