VSS eNewsletter 7 April 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6 3:13 AM

      VSS eNewsletter, 7 April 2008

      VSS News

      Buy the Cookbook

      Other News

      Update on Sam, the Veg Cyclist on His Way to Beijing

      Veg and Health Benefits Summary

      Classes from Raw Food Cuisine

      Kampung Senang Events

      Veg Blocs

      Eggless Bread in Hougang and Organic Food near Thomson

      Having Healthy Kids: What Men Should Eat

      Veg Croc?

      A Veg Response to 'Humane' Meat

      Rejuvenating Health Camp at Eco-Farm in Malaysia

      National Geographic on the Minds of Our Fellow Animals

      Be a Veg Iron Man/Woman

      VSS News

      Buy the Cookbook

      At VSS, we're very proud of the cookbook we produced, New Asian Traditions Vegetarian Cookbook. It's filled with first class, mouth watering photos, heaps of relevant information and a wide variety of recipes, from soups to salads, from mains to desserts, from Chinese to African.

      On Sat, 12 Apr, get your own copy of the cookbook and meet the book's first author, Sue Amy . Sue can answer your questions and even autograph you book.

      Sue and the books will be at Spring Fair in Seletar Camp.

      Date: 12 Apr

      Time: 2-7pm (Hang around if you want to play with sparklers in the dark and a sundowner!)

      Place: Edgware Road under the stretch of trees behind Sussex Garden and opposite 18 Edgware. There will be signage so that you know you're in the right place.

      Any enquiries, please contact Sue at amy23s@....

      Other News

      Update on Sam, the Veg Cyclist on His Way to Beijing

      Last month, we reported on Sam, the veg bicyclist from Singapore , who is on his way to Beijing . Sam's goal is to alert people about how meat eating threatens the ecological balance.

      Sam has already made it to Trengganu. Below is the URL for a report from the New Straits Times. and here's the nicely written introduction to that report

      He may not be dressed in cape and tights but Sam Yeoh is a hero in his own way. The 30-year-old gave up a well-paid job, as a quality assurance engineer in Singapore , so that he could make a 9,000km trip to China on a bicycle to raise awareness of the dangers of global warming.

      http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Saturday/National/2192744/Article/index_html

      Veg and Health Benefits Summary

      Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) – http://www.pcrm.org - does a lot to promote research and education related to vegetarianism and health. For instance, PCRM president, Dr Neil Barnard, did a speaking tour of India .

      Here's a research summary PCRM recently put together on the links between diet and various killer diseases: http://veg4earth.org/why-veg/its-healthy

      Classes from Raw Food Cuisine

      Paul Yeoh of Raw Food Cuisine is offering the following raw food classes in April:

      Thu, 17 Apr – Japanese food
      Sat, 19 Apr – Italian food
      Thu, 24 Apr – Italian food

      Sat, 26 Apr – Japanese food

      All the classes run from 12-4 pm and conclude with a great feast of your own gourmet creations. Visit
      http://www.rawfoodcuisine.com.sg for more details and registration.

      Also, there will be a raw vegan potluck at Raw Food Cuisine's studio on the last Sunday of every month. The potlucks are a great place to come and meet community, and to get a sampling of raw vegan dishes and how other people are preparing them. The potlucks are organized through the Facebook group, "Raw Vegans - Singapore ". Potlucks are open to both the loyal and the curious, so come on down!

      Kampung Senang Events

      Our friends at Kampung Senang are planning two fundraising events with lots of delicious veg food, both under the banner "Love Has No Boundaries".

      1.      31 May (Sat), Charity Buffet, 11.30am-2.30pm & 7.30pm-10pm, Lotus Vegetarian Restaurant, Quality Hotel, 201 Balestier Road, #02-00

      2.      1 Jun (Sun), Charity Family Carnival and 9th Annual Holistic Fair, Kampung Senang Parents' Day, Kampung Senang Holistic Living Centre, Blk 106, Aljunied Crescent, #01-205

      Kampung Senang also has two classes coming up soon.

      1. Culinary Workshops for Apr and May by Mr Oh Chong Fah

      Dates: Every Saturday 3pm - 6pm
      Venue: HLC

      19 Apr - Western Vegetarian Cooking 1
      26 Apr - Chinese Style Cooking 1

      2. Oxygen Hi Fiber Juicing Class

      Dates: 12/4/08, 26/4/08, Sat 2pm-3.45pm

      Venue: HLC

      For details, email@..., 6742.6627.

      Eggless Bread in Hougang and Organic Food near Thomson

      Readers sent in the following info:

      T & S Vegetarian Shop

      Blk 356 Hougang Ave 7, #01-783 S. 530356
      Tel: 6280.9477

      Selling many kinds of eggless bread, plus dry foods

      Very nice and cheap. Closed on Thursday

      Green Sense

      No. 15, Jasmine Road (after Thomson Plaza ), S. 576584

      Tel: 6451-7553

      Email:  greensense.sg@...

      Person in charge:  Barbara Chin (mobile = 9857-4881)

      Selling organic cooked food and produce

      Singapore Veg Blogs

      If you enjoy roaming in the blogosphere, here are a few local veg venues you might like to visit:

      ·         Crystal's Recipes

      ·         Sunny's Veggie Hunt

      ·         Veggiebake

      ·         VeggieBun

      Having Healthy Kids: What Men Should Eat

      We see lots of advice on what women should eat to have healthy children, but what about the other half of the equation, the male side. A recent study found that folate was linked to better sperm:

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7303375.stm

      How to have a diet rich in folate? Eat leafy green vegetables, fruits and pulses.

      Veg Croc

      Here's a heart-warming story about a cold-blooded fellow vegetarian. For the past 60 years, the Ananthapura temple in Kerala , India has had a crocodile for its guardian. Named Babia, he is a strict vegetarian and does not touch even the fish in the temple pond. His diet is reported to consist of a gruel made of jaggery and rice: http://www.hindujagruti.org/news/802.html

      A Veg Response to 'Free Range' Meat

      From an electronic periodical from the Silicon Valley comes a strongly worded critique of free range meat. On the normal factory farm, the fellow animals whom our fellow humans eat are locked and packed tight day and night in sunless buildings till they are ready for the slaughterhouse. Free range makes the unsubstantiated claim that the pre-slaughter conditions are closer to natural. In this part of the world, a term similar to free range is 'kampung chicken'.

      You can follow the link the read the entire piece - http://www.metroactive.com/metro/03.19.08/veggie-0812.html - but here's an excerpt:

      I started to consider vegetarianism because I felt sympathy for the conditions of factory-farmed animals, antipathy for the violence of slaughter. But what sealed the deal for me was thinking it through: there was no reason not to be a vegetarian. I am not physiologically required to eat meat. I am not constrained in any material, important way by my vegetarianism. Do I sometimes whine about restaurants not serving me enough high-quality vegetarian food? Sure. But I don't starve. Is vegetarianism healthier for most people? Yes.

      People say, "Animals eat animals-it's a food chain thing." They do. They are driven by instinct and physiological requirement. Unlike us, I doubt they have the thought processes to judge it. Nor do I think they feel guilt or regret.

      But we do. If we want to hold ourselves up for our wonderful ability to reason and our finer feelings, then we should use both reason and emotion to make the more humane choice.

      That would really separate us.

      Rejuvenating Health Camp at Eco-Farm in Malaysia

      The dates are 1-3 May for a "Rejuvenating Health Camp" at Koref Eco-Farm Resort in Kahang, Johor. Vegetarian meals will be provided upon request. The trip is organised by Gilead Health Haven Pte Ltd, Enterprise Industrial Building #02-04 , No. 46 Lorong 17 Geylang, S. 388568, Tel: 628.61452, Fax: 6725.8065, Email: gileadretreats@...

      National Geographic on the Minds of Our Fellow Animals

      In case you missed it, National Geographic's March 2008 issue had a cover story on the minds of other animals. The more we know about the intelligence and emotions of our fellow animals, the more repugnant it is to eat them:

      http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/03/animal-minds/musi-photography

      Be a Veg Iron Man/Woman

      The good folks at Singapore Vegetarian Meetup – http://vegetarian.meetup.com/476 - have a great idea. Sat, 19 Apr, 9am, they are combining a makan session in Chinatown with blood donation at the Blood Bank at SGH.  You're welcome to come along just for the makan.

      BTW, the Red Cross recently sent out a mailer to blood donors notifying us that the blood supply is running low. So, this would be an excellent time to donate. Did you know that one of Singapore 's top blood donors, Goh Joo Heng, is a vegetarian?

      The VSS eNewsletter is non-copyright. Readers are encouraged to share the contents elsewhere.