VSS eNewsletter 8 March 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2008

      VSS eNewsletter, 8 March 2008

      VSS News

      Meatout Day at Kampung Senang – Thu, 20 Mar

      Exhibition at SMU, Sat, 8 Mar, 1pm-6pm

      VSS at Env Exhibition at NTU

      Letter to The Straits Times Forum Page - Rejected

      Members Movie Night

      VSS Materials at Food & Beverage Fair 2008

      Other News

      Another Professional Athlete Goes Veg

      Veg Outlet Updates

      Superman: Veg Too?

      "Did They Think the Animals Got Tickled To Death?"

      More Kg Senang Events

      VSS News

      Meatout Day at Kampung Senang – Thu, 20 Mar

      The past few years, VSS has celebrated Singapore Meatout Week in July, in order to coincide with the Singapore Food Festival. Most other countries where Meatout is celebrated have a Meatout Day in March, on the first day of Spring in the northern hemisphere.

      Fortunately, our friends at Kampung Senang are doing something on 20 Mar, and VSS is helping. Here are the details.

      Support World Meat Out Day Free Organic Vegetarian Meal

      Date: 20/3 Thu

      Time: 11:45am-2:30pm (lunch); 5pm- 6.45pm(dinner)

      Venue: Kampung Senang Holistic Living Centre, Blk 106, Aljunied Crescent #01-205

      Fees: Free 300 SETS of healthy organic vegetarian meals, Donations are welcome. Please bring your identification to collect your meal coupons from HLC before 15 Mar or email Kampung Senang: email@...

      Exhibition at SMU, Sat, 8 Mar, 1pm-6pm

      It's becoming increasingly common, as more and more realize the terrible way we treat our fellow animals. SMU now has a group, an animal welfare organisation: PAW (People for Animal Welfare): http://www.smupaw.org

      NUS and NTU already have similar organisations, and VSS is happy to work with all of them.

      This Sat, 8 Mar, 1pm-6pm, PAW is holding an Animal Day event, and VSS will have a table. Please stop by. Lots of events, especially if you like dogs or other companion animals.

      VSS at Env Exhibition at NTU

      One of the great things about vegetarianism is that it links with so many other important causes, as we see above with the SMU event. Thus, when the Earthlink organisation at NTU decided to hold an environmental awareness raising event near Canteen A on 5-6 Mar, they invited VSS, and we happily agreed. (See the next article for the veg/env link.)

      Conditions weren't right for showing our videos, but our colourful display panels, sculptures and other 3D exhibition materials attracted a lot of interest, with many students and staff stopping to look. Perhaps surprising, quite a few students from China stopped to ask questions and raise issues, such as what will happen to all the animals if everyone goes veg.

      Letter to The Straits Times Forum Page - Rejected

      A VSS Exco member sent the following letter to The Straits Times Forum page. Unfortunately, it was not published but ST did suggest that we raise the matter with the appropriate government department, which we have done and will continue to do.

      Here's the letter:

      I refer to the article 'Roadmap to make S'pore a leading eco-city' in The Straits Times of Friday, 29 February 2008. The article discusses how transport, housing and industry can play a role in fostering green practices.

      Another path towards going green lies in the food we eat. In particular, if we cut our meat consumption, we help the environment in two ways. First, as explained in the United Nations report, 'Livestock's Long Shadow' (available on the internet), livestock production is responsible for 18% of greenhouse gas emissions. That's more greenhouse gas emissions than result from transport.

      A second way that reducing our country's meat consumption is a green practice lies in the fact that eating meat is wasting food. This waste of food takes place because we have to feed the chickens, pigs, cows, etc. many kgs of plant food to obtain just 1 kg of meat. If we in Singapore ate less meat, fewer natural resources – water, land, energy – would be needed to produce our food.

      Singapore is justly famous for its food. Let's also be famous for our green food.

      Members Movie Night

      In order to add a social touch to what VSS does, our Social Officer started a Members Movie Night at her home near Bishan MRT. DVDs relevant to veg issues, including feature films and documentaries, will be shown.

      The first such event was a success; so, we are hoping to have more. The next will be the film 'SuperSize Me': http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390521

      Time:    6.30pm
      Date:    Sat, 15 Mar
      Place:   7 Jalan Binchang (nearest MRT Bishan),
      RSVP:   kheng@... / sms 9641 1689 (only if you need directions on that day)
      Bring:  something to snack on

      Price: free

      "Super Size Me" is one person's journey into the world of weight gain, health problems and fast food. It's an examination of the American way of life and how we are eating ourselves to death. Filmmaker Morgan Spurlock unravels the American obesity epidemic by interviewing experts nationwide and by subjecting himself to a 'McDonald's only' diet for thirty days straight. His Sundance award-winning feature is as entertaining and horrifying as it dives into corporate responsibility, nutritional education, school lunch programs and how we as a nation are eating ourselves to death.

      Space is limited. So, please RSVP as soon as possible. Even if you aren't a paid VSS member, you're still welcome.

      VSS Materials at Food & Beverage Fair 2008

      Vegetorium is a veg restaurant that will be exhibiting at "Food & Beverage Fair 2008" to be held at Suntec City Convention Halls from 12-16 Mar (11am-10pm).

      Their booth number is B69. At their booth, you can find VSS educational materials.

      VSS offers these materials free of charge – although donations are most welcome – to any restaurant or stall that would like to distribute them to the public. Indeed, any organisation is welcome to distribute our materials, display our posters, etc. Just contact us at info@...

      If you'd like to eat at Vegetorium, they're at 124 Pasir Panjang Rd, S. 118545;
      Tel: 64747-203; Email:

      Other News

      Another Professional Athlete Goes Veg

      Baseball is not very popular in Singapore . So, few people here would have heard of the US professional baseball star with the unusual name of Prince Fielder, but a lot of people can identify with his reason for going veg:

      "After reading that [a book on the horrors of meat production], (meat) just didn't sound good to me anymore. It grossed me out a little bit. It's not a diet thing or anything like that [in other words, he didn't go veg for health reasons]. I don't miss it at all." http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=720531

      Tanjong Pagar Community Club Youth Executive Committee (YEC) is organizing Gaiamania 2008. This is a program to foster awareness and encourage efforts among youths to preserve and maintain the environment.

      Gaiamania 2008 is a 1-day event to be held on 14 Mar from 6.30pm till 9.30pm, at the NTUC Auditorium, 1 Marina Blvd , Level 7. The events starts off with an exhibition put up by Soka Association as well as the National Environmental Agency. Following that is a series of high quality and entertaining performances put up by various secondary schools. These include a concert band performance, guitar ensemble, choir and much more! All performances for the evening are all environmentally related.

      For more information on GaiaMania 2008 as well as ticket sales, please contact Eugene at 81231758 (HP).

      Veg Outlet Updates

      Here's info on 3 recently opened veg outlets. Of course, it's best to call ahead, as info can change without notice.

      1. Grand Court Vegetarian Restaurant

      Address: 20 Trengganu Street 3rd floor

      Nearby landmarks: Buddha Relics temple

      Nearest MRT: Chinatown

      Days the outlet is open: 7 days

      Hours it is open on those days: 11am to 2.30pm & 5.30pm to 9.30pm

      Specialty dishes: Thai fish and Lemon Chicken

      Do they serve brown rice? No. But they can prepare if given 1 day notice.

      Is the food organic? No

      Do they use MSG (ajinomoto)? not sure

      Do they use onion & garlic? No

      Do they use eggs? No

      Do they use dairy products? No

      Phone numbers – landline/hp: 6238.5085

      Do they deliver? Yes

      Do they cater? Yes, buffet.

      2. FeiCui Vegetarian Kitchen

      Address: Blk 71, Kallang Bahru #01-529A

      Postal code: 330071

      Nearest MRT: Boon Keng or Kallang

      Buses: 26, 853, 175, 61, 107

      Days the outlet is open: closed alternate Weds

      Hours it is open on those days: 9am to 9pm

      Specialty dishes: Yam Taro, Cereal prawn

      Do they serve brown rice? yes

      Is the food organic? no

      Do they use MSG (ajinomoto)? not sure

      Do they use onion & garlic? no

      Do they use eggs? no

      Do they use dairy products? for only some dishes, like fish head noodles

      Phone numbers – landline/hp: 6398.0992

      Do they deliver? yes

      Do they cater? yes

      3. DeliVege

      200 South Bridge Road

      S. 058749

      7am-11pm Sun-Thu

      7am-3am, Fri, Sat & Holiday Eve

      Superman: Veg Too?

      Superman: Birthright re-imagines the Superman myth in a twelve-issue comic book limited series published by DC Comics in 2003-2004, written by Mark Waid and drawn by Leinil Francis Yu.

      Superman: Birthright re-imagines the origins of Superman. It even describes how he became a vegetarian. In an email to his foster mother, Clark (Superman) writes - "Living things have a kind of glow around them. They're surrounded in a halo of colors I'd invent names for if I weren't the only one who could make them out [with super vision]. I'm not sure if that halo is a soul or an aura or what. I do know that at the end of the life cycle, it fades pretty quickly, and what's left behind is... hard to look at. Empty in a way that leaves me empty, too. But when it's there... how it shines. (I know that information's not very helpful when you're trying to explain to cattle farmer Grandpa why your son's a vegetarian, but...)"

      To read more, borrow the series from NLB or visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman:_Birthright

      "Did They Think the Animals Got Tickled To Death?"

      The following comes to us from the Vegetarian Resource Group in the U.S. : http://www.vrg.org who have a very useful website and many publications, including a free eNewsletter.

      Due to the Humane Society of the United States ' video of downer dairy cattle in California , and the recall of 143 million pounds of meat, VRG has been quite busy with media calls. Consumer Research Manager John Cunningham's quote in the Baltimore Sun on this subject may ring true to many readers: "Longtime vegetarians are," Cunningham said, "somewhat bemused" by the reaction of surprise to the video. "As a friend of mine said, "'What did people think happened at a slaughterhouse? Did they think the animals got tickled to death?'"

      Most of us were not born vegetarian. When that light bulb goes off, we all wonder why we didn't think about it before. Thank you to all the activists out there and everyone who supports VRG in promoting vegetarian diets.

      More Kg Senang Events

      1. 3 Day Family Bonding, Detox & Organic Diet Camp (Bilingual: Chinese-English)

      Detox Alumni ($180)

      Date: 11/7 - 13/7 & 12/9 - 14/9 Fri-Sun 9am-5pm

      Venue: HLC

      Fee: $220/Non-mem; $200/member

      2. Oxygen Hi Fiber Juicing Class

      Date and Time: 29/3, Sat, 2pm-3.30pm

      Please click on the date for the recipe detail.

      Venue: HLC, Blk 106, Aljunied

      Fee: $12/class

      3. Lily Ko's Cooking Classes (Basic/Intermediate)

      Date: 08/03

      Sat 3-5pm

      HLC, Blk 106, Aljunied

      Date: 09/03/08

      Sun 3-5pm

      Venue: Blk 840, Tampines

      Fee: $240 for 4 lessons, $216 for Kg Senang member

      For info: email@...; 6742.6627

      The VSS eNewsletter is non-copyright. Readers are encouraged to share the contents elsewhere.