VSS eNewsletter 15 January, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2008

      VSS eNewsletter, 15 January 2008

      VSS News

      VSS Logo on Reusable Shopping Bag

      At a School Near You Soon – We Hope

      VSS and Facebook

      Other News

      Don’t Miss This Film

      Kenosis Living Spring Class

      Food Class for CNY

      New Venue for Veg Classes

      Long Article by Well-Known Food Author

      Veg Food at T3

      Outlet No Longer Features Veg Food

      Very Veggie Silly

      VSS News

      VSS Logo on Reusable Shopping Bag

      Kampung Senang, with a bit of help from VSS, has produced and is selling a reusable shopping bag. Just what the fashionable green shopper needs! The VSS logo and URL, as well as the Kampung Senang logo, are featured on the bag.

      The bags were made by a Bangladesh Waldorf School , a volunteer initiative to provide local street children with housing and schooling. Bio-dynamic farming is part of their curriculum. Funds that the school earned from producing the bag are being used to build new classrooms.

      You can purchase the bag at Kampung Senang’s Holistic Lifestyle Centre, Blk 106, Aljunied Crescent , #01-205, 6742.6627, email@..., http://www.kg-senang.org.sg. Cost: $3.50. You can also buy organic vegetarian food there to put into your new bag.

      At a School Near You Soon – We Hope

      This week, VSS plans to send an envelope to all the primary schools, secondary schools and JCs, containing our two main flyers, our Seeds VCD, the ‘Love Us Not Eat Us’ sticker, and a letter offering our services to the school for talks, food demos, exhibitions, consultation on canteen food and help on student projects.

      If you know students, teachers, administrators, canteen operators, etc., please encourage them to speak to the right people about VSS coming to their school: info@...

      VSS and Facebook

      Two people, one of whom goes by the alias Pauline Vegemite (!), responded to the appeal in the previous issue of this eNewsletter for help to set up a VSS group on Facebook, and easy as 1, 2, 3, we now have a Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7066898863

      Other News

      Don’t Miss This Film

      Last week, some VSS Exco members attended a sneak preview of the documentary Sharkwater, which opens island-wide at Shaw Theatres on 17 Jan.

      In the film, biologist and shark lover, Rob Stewart, follows the trail of the multi-billion dollar shark fin trade, setting off a dramatic chain of events.

      The Singapore release of the documentary follows a successful run in Canada and the USA , where Sharkwater out-grossed the opening weekends of March of the Penguins and An Inconvenient Truth.

      And, although you don’t hear this in the film, it turns out that the two main people in the film are veg.

      Interview with the producer and star of Sharkwater, Rob Stewart:

      Interview with Paul Watson of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society:

      Official Website:

      Kenosis Living Spring Class

      Kenosis Living Spring is a Catholic ministry dedicated to promoting holistic health in body, mind and spirit. They have classes and interactive discussions on veg topics such as sprouts, herbs and enzyme drinks. To find out more: 9109.3589 or antonyt@...

      Food Class for CNY

      Here’s another class by Our Place International:

      Date:   Choose either 20 Jan 08 (Sun) or 26 Jan 08(Sat)

      Time:     2-5pm

      Venue:          Sengkang (participants will be notified)

      Fee:              $60

      Concession: $50 for ex-participants of our previous Food Classes

      Class Size:     20 pax (Maximum)

      Registration: siokkhoon@...

      Enquiries:      9845-9119

      See demonstrations of 6-7 very unique dishes, a mixture of raw and cooked. Come for a surprise and a feast.

      New Venue for Veg Classes

      Here’s a new place to attend food classes, at an organic shop: Nature Zone,
      Blk 1 Tanjong Pagar Plaza , #02-06 Tanjong Pagar Road , (S) 082001. Nearest MRT: Tanjong Pagar.

      Session 1

      Dishes: soba salad, ma jiang mien, rainbow salad, salad sauce

      Dates: Fri, 18 Jan, 6.30pm-8pm or Sat, 19 2pm-3.30pm

      Session 2

      Dishes: sushi roll, funori cold dish, funori desserts (also, nutrition tips)

      Dates: Fri, 25 Jan, 6.30pm-8pm or Sat, 26 Jan, 2pm-3.30pm

      Fee: $20 per session; rebate of $5 for those who sign up for 2 sessions

      Session 3

      Dishes: healthy vegetarian yu sheng

      Date: Sun, 27 Jan, 11am-12.30pm

      Fee: $20; $18 early bird special

      Registration: Catherine / Adeline at 6223.6234 / 9822.9775

      Long Article by Well-Known Food Author

      Michael Pollan, a best-selling author on food topics, is the author of a new book on food - In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto - that was featured in the Sunday Times ( Singapore ) of 6 Jan. Here’s a long article by him from the New York Times on the same subject. His advice – he’s not veg – is “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.” By “eat food”, he means “whole fresh foods” rather than highly processed food products.

      Veg Food at T3

      A reader informs us that Cai Gen Xiang Vegetarian, Blk 236, Yishun Ring Road , 01-1000, 6758-8588 is soon opening a 24-hour outlet at Changi Airport Terminal 3, Basement 2. http://www.caigenxiangvege.com sales@...

      One of their unique features in Yishun is a confinement package.

      Outlet No Longer Features Veg Food

      Apparently, one of the veg outlets mentioned in our last eNewsletter is no longer veg. Here are the details.

      Name of outlet: Japanese food stall (also selling Chinese style vegetarian food, operating more like a service catering for vegetarians) at Cintech I basement canteen.

      Address: Cintech I basement canteen, Science Park 1, opposite DSO (Defence

      Science Organisation) (Admin), besides DSTA (Defence Science and Technology

      Very Veggie Silly

      Here a bit of animated silliness from PETA providing a veg take on the U.S. presidential election. Slightly risqué: http://www.peta.org/feat/greenhouse/index.asp?c=rttgemail

      The VSS eNewsletter is non-copyright. Readers are encouraged to share the contents elsewhere.