VSS eNewsletter 7 January, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2008

      VSS eNewsletter, 7 January 2008

      VSS News

      So Many Life Members

      Let's Make Some Noise about Global Warming

      Volunteer Coordinator Needed

      VSS and Facebook

      Other News

      Outlet Updates

      Study: Kids Will Eat Healthy School Food

      Scott Jurek - Vegetarian Ultramarathoner

      Changes in Attitudes in Asia Too

      Water: For Health, for Healing, for Life

      A Sweet 9-Minute Film

      Vegetarian Letter Writer

      Benefit Film Showing about Helping Our Shark Friends

      A Veg Cookbook with Attitude

      VSS News

      So Many Life Members

      Here are the latest VSS membership figures from our Membership Secretary: 139 existing active members (69 Life members, 69 ordinary members and 1 honorary member). Regular membership is $30/yr, whereas life membership is a $300 one-time fee.

      VSS is more interested in active participation than in membership figures, but if you'd like to join or maybe you'd like to buy someone a membership (regular, life or business), you can download the form at http://vegetarian-society.org/downloads/MembershipForm5threv.pdf

      Please send to our new address: 3 Pemimpin Drive, #07-02 , Lip Hing Bldg, S. 576147.

      Membership is open even to non-vegetarians, as long as they support the idea of vegetarianism. However, only vegetarians can serve as VSS Exco members, which leads us to the next item in our eNewsletter.

      Volunteer Coordinator Needed

      As our volunteer coordinator will be away from Singapore for a few years, VSS needs someone to fill her shoes as Volunteer Coordinator. This is the unenviable job of contacting people by phone, sms, email, etc. to ask them to staff VSS exhibitions and do other VSS tasks. If you enjoy pleasantly pestering people for a good cause, contact info@...

      Let's Make Some Noise about Global Warming

      The Forum pages in newspapers and magazines provide an excellent opportunity to reach out to the public. We can also write to journalists, politicians, government officials and other opinion leaders.

      Recent understanding of the links between meat production and Global Warming provide one more opportunity for pro-veg letters. You can find lots of facts to put in your letters here: http://www.ivu.org/members/globalwarming.html

      Below is an email that a VSS Exco member sent to an ST editor who had written about GW without saying anything about livestock's 18% contribution to GW gases (more than transportation's contribution). At the end of the friendly exchange, the editor agreed that there might be some logic to what George was saying:

      Regarding your article in ST, I note that you do not mention livestock as a contributing factor to Global Warming. Similarly, most of the public believes that the two main culprits in Global Warming are (1) energy use for manufacturing, cooling, etc., and (2) transportation.

       However, evidence that livestock practices are a key contributor has been around for many years. Since the 2006 publication of the FAO report 'Livestock's Long Shadow', this evidence has begun to receive minimal play in the international media, e.g.,

      http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/TenWays/story?id=2119267&page=1

      and

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/2007/02/meet_daisy_the_cow_global_climates_enemy_number_on.html

      and

      http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/08/29/business/climate.php
      Please allow me to quote from the FAO report's executive summary. You can read the summary and download the entire report at

      http://www.virtualcentre.org/en/library/key_pub/longshad/A0701E00.htm#sum

       The livestock sector emerges as one of the top two or three most significant contributors to the most serious environmental problems, at every scale from local to global. ...

       Major reductions in impact could be achieved at reasonable cost. ...

       The livestock sector is a major player, responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions measured in CO2 equivalent. This is a higher share than transport.

       As I'm a vegetarian, obviously, livestock is a big issue to me; so maybe I'm missing something given my biased outlook. But, why isn't livestock being talked about more in the GW discussion? Plus, it's so much fun to eat our way to solving the problem!

       Cheers --george

       George Jacobs, Ph.D.

      President, Vegetarian Society ( Singapore )

      www.vegetarian-society.org

      VSS and Facebook

      By now, Facebook and other social networking sites, such as MySpace, are well-established, yesterday's big new thing on the Internet. Many NGOs are using Facebook to promote their efforts. If you have the time and the knowledge to set that up for VSS and manage it, and you think you'd enjoy doing it, please contact info@...

      Other News

      Outlet Updates

      A reader kindly contributed the following updates on various veg outlets.

      1. Name of outlet: Japanese food stall (also selling Chinese style vegetarian food, operating more like a service catering for vegetarians) at Cintech I basement canteen, a non-garlic/onion choice for vegetarians who are active within Science Park 1 area.

      Address: Cintech I basement canteen, Science Park 1, opposite DSO (Defence Science Organisation) (Admin), besides DSTA (Defence Science and Technology Agency).

      Nearby landmarks: besides DSTA, opp DSO (Admin Block)

      Nearest MRT: Buena Vista

      Open: Office hours, Breakfast/Lunch

      Specialty dishes Lunch: Chinese mixed-vegetable rice;

      Do they serve brown rice? Yes

      Do they use onion & garlic? No.

      Do they use eggs? Some dishes

      2. Name of outlet: Vegetarian stall operating @ Prince George Park (PGP) Residence Canteen (Not the new Foodmore food court)

      Address: Prince George Park Residence Canteen, turn into Prince George Park from South Buena Vista road, opposite the DSO Marina Hill junction.

      Nearby landmarks: DSO Marina Hill, Science Park 1/2/3

      Nearest MRT: Buena Vista

      Buses: Internal PGP-NUS shuttle, SBS 183 alight at IMA stop n walk along the pavement beside Blooie restaurant

      Open: Daily B/L/D

      Specialty dishes: Chinese mixed-vegetable rice; complimentary seaweed soup

      Do they serve brown rice? Yes

      3. Name of outlet: Vegetarian stall operating @ The Deck - NUS Arts Canteen

      Address: Arts Department Canteen, take lift from Administration block (to all blocks level) besides the NUS Central Library, along Kent Ridge Crescent .

      Nearby landmarks: Administration Block besides NUS Central Library

      Nearest MRT: Clementi

      Buses: 151, 95, 96

      Days the outlet is open: Mon - Sat (1/2 day on Sat)

      Specialty dishes: Chinese mixed-vegetable rice; soup-of-day

      Do they serve brown rice? Yes

      Do they use onion & garlic? No.

      Do they use eggs? No.

      4. Name of outlet: Vegetarian stall operating @ Techno Edge Canteen NUS

      Address: Techno Edge Canteen near Computer Engineering Block, opp NUS Central Library, besides E1 & EW1, and along Kent Ridge Crescent .

      Nearby landmarks: Opp NUS Central Library

      Nearest MRT: Clementi

      Buses: 151, 95, 96

      Days the outlet is open: Mon - Sat (1/2 day on Sat) Specialty dishes: Chinese mixed-vegetable rice

      Do they serve brown rice? Yes

      Do they use onion & garlic? No

      Do they use eggs? No

      Phone numbers: 9819.3187

      5. Name of outlet: Vegetarian stall operating @ Marina Square Level 4 food court

      Address: To be relocated to Stall 4 @ Suntec City basement food court after 31Dec07

      Nearby landmarks: Suntec City basement food court near the music fountain

      Nearest MRT: City Hall

      Buses: 857, 133, etc.

      Days the outlet is open: Every day

      Specialty dishes: Lunch - Chinese mixed-vegetable rice; Dinner - Western style cutlet sets + Chinese style hor fun, fried set meals, soup + rice sets

      Do they serve brown rice? Yes, in very generous portion

      Do they use onion & garlic? No

      Do they use eggs? No

      Study: Kids Will Eat Healthier School Food

      The December 2007 issue of the Review of Agricultural Economics analyzed five years of data for 330 Minnesota (USA) public school districts. It looked at compliance with US government standards for calories, nutrients and fats. The researchers found that schools serving the healthiest lunches did not see a falloff in demand. We might want to remember this study the next time someone says that kids will only eat junk food, but it should be noted that the food in the study wasn't veg.

      http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bpl/raec/2007/00000029/00000004/art00004

      Scott Jurek - Vegetarian Ultramarathoner

      We've mentioned Scott Jurek before. He's vegan and a champion ultramarathoner. As you probably know, an ultramarathon is any organized footrace beyond the standard marathon distance of 42 kilometers. A distance of 100 miles (160km) is not uncommon for Scott. Below are links to photos, an interview and his own website:

      http://allwedoisrun.com/scott_jurek.htm

      http://www.samadhi-yoga.com/jai/yoglif.htm#1

      http://www.scottjurek.com

      Changes in Attitudes in Asia Too

      It isn't just in the West that attitudes towards our fellow animals are becoming more 'humane'.

      TAIPEI (Reuters) - Taiwan legislators passed a law that calls for fines of up to $250,000 (3,825 pounds) on sellers of dog meat, a winter staple once popular in military units, as part of a broader animal rights push, newspapers reported on Saturday.

      Under growing pressure from animal rights groups concerned about cruelty to pets and government inaction, parliament on Friday approved the fines as part of its Animal Protection Act, according to media and a supportive legislator.

      "We think eating dog is a brutal act," said legislator Chang Hsien-yao, policy director with People First Party. "Animal abuse cases have sparked concern from rights groups, and protection of animals

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)