VSS eNewsletter 1 January 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2007

      VSS eNewsletter, 1 January 2008

      VSS News

      VSS Appoints First Paid Staff Member

      Please Help Arrange School Visits

      New Mailing Address for VSS

      Other News

      Xmas Video and Ppt

      A Great Quote

      Veg Stall Seeks Cook

      Extended Hours for Dosa Deli at Lao Pa Sat

      Jan 1 Opening for New Veg Restaurant in Bukit Gombak

      Italian Veg in Serangoon Garden

      Pine Tree Café Opens Bugis Outlet

      New Veg Stall at West Coast

      Classes at Kampong Senang

      Another Class by Oh Chong Fah

      Raw Food Fundamentals Class - Hands-on Japanese Food

      Veg Friendly Books for Children and Parents

      Maggie Q Photos to Support Vegetarianism

      Why Going Veg Can Save Us $$

      Blood Type Diet - Fact or Fad?

      VSS News

      VSS Appoints First Paid Staff Member

      In a step forward for promoting vegetarianism in Singapore , VSS has appointed Loh Yeow Nguan, our Education Officer, as our first-ever paid staff member. Yeow will be full-time from 1 Jan.

      Please Help Arrange School Visits

      One of our goals for 2008 is to reach out to schools more. If you have any contacts, please send them to info@.... We can work with any level from primary school to university, including with teachers.

      New Mailing Address for VSS

      VSS has a new mailing address for correspondence only: 3 Pemimpin Drive, #07-02 , Lip Hing Bldg, S. 576147. VSS still does not have an office that people can visit. The Pemimpin Dr address is only for mail.

      Other News

      Xmas Video and Ppt

      1. Here's a belated Xmas video, titled "Do They Know It's Christmas?", on YouTube:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCX7f_s1CA4

      2. Here's an Xmas-themed slideshow: http://www.vegetarian-society.org/downloads/07_xmas.pps

      A Great Quote

      The following quote is attributed to Milan Kundera, the Czech author most famous for his novel The Unbearable Lightness of Being: http://www.cybernation.com/quotationcenter/quoteshow.php?type=author&id=5047 Unfortunately, the above quotation site doesn't give the exact source.

      True human goodness, in all its purity and freedom, can come to the fore only when its recipient has no power. Humanity's true moral test, its fundamental test (which lies deeply buried from view), consists of its attitude towards those who are at its mercy: animals. And in this respect humankind has suffered a fundamental debacle, a debacle so fundamental that all others stem from it.

      Veg Stall Seeks Cook

      VSS received the following email request for help. Please reply directly to the stallholder if you can help.

      We seek your kind referral for a vegetarian cook for our vegetarian food stall located at Thye San Eating House, Blk 9 Selegie Road #01 - 19. The stall was previously a western food stall managed by my brother. We have now decided to sell vegetarian food instead. Thank you - Lim Mei Khim, 9100.2007.

      Extended Hours for Dosa Deli at Lao Pa Sat

      Dosa Deli, the hawker centre franchise set up by our friends at Analakshmi, has extended the hours of its Lao Pa Sat outlet to 3am. Thus, they are now open 7am-3am, 7 days a week. Try their tasty food and their unique "pay as you wish" pricing policy.

      Jan 1 Opening for New Veg Restaurant in Bukit Gombak

      Hwa Jin Vegetarian Family Restaurant, Blk 359 Bukit Batok St 31, #01-393, S. 650359, is having its opening ceremony at 1pm on 1 Jan 2008. The restaurant is just a short walk from Bukit Gombak MRT. For more info, contact Yiew Siew Mong at 9696.4921.

      Italian Veg in Serangoon Garden

      Ristorante De Parma is the name of a new Italian veg restaurant that recently opened at 14B Kensington Park Rd, Serangoon Garden, S. 557265, Tel: 6280.1096.

      Pine Tree Café Opens Bugis Outlet

      Pine Tree Café, already at Bendemeer and Harbour Front, now has an outlet at Parco Bugis Junction, Food Junction #03-30, open everyday, 10am-10pm. Their specialty dishes include Hakka green tea rice (lei cha fan) and miso udon. Website: www.pinetreecafe.com

      New Veg Stall at West Coast

      Where: 503 West Coast Drive Food center, Stall No.44

      Nearby landmarks: Jamiyah Nursing Home

      Nearest MRT: Clementi

      Specialty dishes: Glutinous Rice Kueh, Soon Kueh, Dumplings

      Classes at Kampong Senang
      A) Oxygen Hi Fibre Juicing

      Date and Time: 5 Jan, Sat, 2pm-3.30pm

      Venue: Kampung Senang, Holistic Living Centre, Blk 106, Aljunied

      Fee: $12/class

      B) Lily Ko's Cooking Class (Intermediate)

      Dates and Time: 5, 12,19, 26 Jan, Sat 3-5pm

      HLC, Blk 106, Aljunied

      Dates: 6, 13, 20, 27 Jan, Sun 3-5pm

      Venue: Kampung Senang, Blk 840, Tampines

      Fee: $240 for 4 lessons, $216 for Kg Senang member.

      C) 3-Day Family Bonding, Detox & Organic Diet Camp

      Date: 18-20 Jan, Fri-Sun

      Time: 9.30am-5pm (Bilingual)

      Venue: Kampung Senang, Holistic Living Centre, Blk 106, Aljunied

      Fee: $220/non-member &$200/ Kg Senang member

      To register, please download the registration form & mail it in:

      http://www.kg-senang.org.sg, 6742.6627

      Another Class by Oh Chong Fah

      Oh Chong Fah, formerly Social Enterprise Chef & Project Manager of Kampung Senang Charity & Education Foundation) has a new class commencing Sat, 12 Jan, at Singapore Buddhist Federation, 375 Race Course Road, S. 218644. The bilingual course will be held every Sat, 3pm-5pm for 8 sessions

      Bus: 21, 23, 64, 65, 125, 130, 139 & 145; MRT: Farrer Park .

      Fee: $65 per person for a total of 8 lessons

      Registration form is available from SBF or at the reception of Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery, and can be downloaded from

      http://www.buddhist.org.sg, or call 6744.4635.6744 4635

      Raw Food Fundamentals Class - Hands-on Japanese Food

      Chef Paul Yeoh is offering another of his raw food classes, 12 Jan at Cavendish Park Condo. The menu includes wheatgrass juice, zucchini ramen and nori sushi rolls with spicy miso-almond pate.

      Time: 2pm to 6pm

      Price: $130 per person (early bird price $110)

      Details: http://www.rawfoodcuisine.com.sg

      Veg Friendly Books for Children and Parents

      Here, thanks to the Vegetarian Resources Group, is an extensive list of veg-relevant books for kids and about kids: http://www.vrg.org/family/Vegetarian-friendly_Kids_Booklist.pdf

      Any books to add?

      Maggie Q Photos to Support Vegetarianism

      The actor Maggie Q is a vegetarian and has made some posters to show her support: http://www.petaasiapacific.com/feature-maggieq.asp?c=pap_enews

      Why Going Veg Can Save Us $$

      One concern people voice about going veg is that it's expensive. Here's an article from MSN (MicroSoft Network) Money that argues to the contrary:

      http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveMoney/GoVegetarianToSaveMoney.aspx?vv=450

      Blood Type Diet - Fact or Fad?

      Like the Adkins Diet before it, the Blood Type Diet is being used as a reason to eat meat: http://www.dadamo.com The central idea of the Blood Type Diet is that we should eat differently according to our blood type. In particular, people with Type O blood, are alleged to need to eat a lot of meat. Here's a science-based refutation: http://earthsave.org/news/bloodtyp.htm

      The VSS eNewsletter is non-copyright. Readers are encouraged to share the contents elsewhere.