VSS eNewsletter 28 October 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2007

      VSS eNewsletter, 28 October 2007

      Lots of technical problems with the newsletter, which is why for the rest of this year, the newsletter won’t be coming out as often as usual. Thanks in advance for your patience. We’re also trying to revamp the VSS website, something we’ve been trying to do for years. Maybe we’ll finally succeed one day.

      VSS News

      VSS Exhibition at Library@Orchard 4-18 November

      Our Exhibition Here, There and Everywhere

      Other News

      Kampung Senang Events

      Wildlife Stampede at Botanic Gardens

      Shan You Events on Heart Disease

      Kenosis Living Spring Presents

      Veg Outlet News, Including Dim Sum at IMM Jurong

      Should We Eat Kangaroos To Slow Global Warming

      Antioxidants and Knee Joints

      More Evidence That Veg Can Help with Weight Loss and Cancer Recovery

      Holistic Health Green Carnival @ Fort Canning Centre

      VSS News

      VSS Exhibition at Library@Orchard 4-18 November

      We’ll be having an exhibition at Library@Orchard from 4-18 November. This is similar to the exhibition we’ve had at other libraries, but each time, the exhibitions gets better. And, remember, Library@Orchard is closing soon; so, don’t miss this chance to visit a unique space.

      Plus, VSS is having talks as part of the exhibition on Sundays at 3pm on 28 Oct (Raw Food, a.k.a. Global Cooling, Recipes), 4 Nov (Why Veg) and 10 Nov (The Intelligence, Emotions, and Personality of Our Fellow Animals). The exhibition and talks are free.
      All programmes are also posted on blog at
      http://blogs.nlb.gov.sg/orchard

      Our Exhibition Here, There and Everywhere

      Many other pro-veg organisations have asked that we set up our exhibition at their events, and, schedule permitting, VSS is happy to do so. For example, last week we were at the NUS Green Carnival. BTW, we need about $1000 to repair and upgrade our exhibition materials. To donate, pls contact info@...

      Here are other places we’ll be. See the Other News section of this newsletter for details.

      Kampung Senang’s Prevention Is Better than Cure campaign – 1-3 Nov

      Shan You Counseling Centre’s Heart Disease seminars – 10 Nov (Eng); 1 Dec (Man)

      Malaysia Vegetarian Society’s Exhibition and Food Fair – 16-17 Nov, in KL

      (for info, contact Dr Kamalanathan: ksappani@...)

      Holistic Health Green Carnival @ Fort Canning Centre – 24-25 Nov

      Other News

      Kampung Senang Events

      Kampung Senang is marking its 8th Anniversary with events at its Holistic Lifestyle Centre @ Blk 106, Aljunied Crescent , #01-205, a short walk from Aljunied MRT Station. Bus services 80 and 155 stop at Geylang East. Bus services 64, 125, 125x, 40, 62, 63, 100, 155 and 158 stop at Aljunied Road .
      For location, see
      http://www.kg-senang.org.sg For other information, call 6749. 8509, 6785.2568.

      1) Senior Citizen Day Reunion Lunch = Organic & Raw Cuisine at its Finest!

      Date and Time: 3 Nov, Sat, 10am-5:00pm. $30 per pax.

      Donations are requested so as to be able to offer free lunch to 500 of Kampung Senang’s beneficiaries.

      2) Prevention Is Better than Cure Campaign: Holistic Health Exhibition

      1-3 Nov, 10am-7pm at Kampung Senang Holistic Lifestyle Centre.

      3) Oxygen Hi Fibre Juicing Class on 10 Nov & 17 Nov

      Date and Time: Sat 2pm-3.30pm

      Fee: $12/class

      4) Healthy Diet Course by Culinary Instructor Oh Chong Fah

      a)  Enzyme/Wine/Fermented Food Making Class (2 sessions) TBA

      b) Wholesome Bakery Class (2 sessions), Fri 19 Oct & 26 Oct

      c) Marking Organic Silken Tofu & Okara Dishes (2 sessions) Wed 17 Oct & 24 Oct

      Venue: Wholesome Living @ Pandan Garden

      5) Organic Farm & Know Your Goodies Bag Educational Tour

      Date and Time: 11 Nov, Sun 8am~2pm

      Venue: Fireflies Organic Farm ~ Pick Up @ HLC, Blk 106 before 8am

      Fee: $25/Member includes lunch, workshop/notes; $30/Non-member

      Wildlife Stampede at Botanic Gardens

      VSS will be participating in this fun event on Fri, 2 Nov, 4pm-7pm, Jacob Balas Children’s Garden, Botanic Gardens ( Bukit Timah Road side). For more: hartung@... and http://wildlifeparade.wordpress.com

      Here is from the organisers:

      The Singapore Wildlife Stampede aims to educate youths and the general public on the endangered animal species especially found in Singapore . This will heighten the awareness on the dangers our environment is facing and hence promote a sense of stewardship towards nature. Thus we urge schools, non-government organisations, environment clubs and YOU to join in this inaugural parade and showcase your work and creativity in this event.

      Similar to Chingay Parade held during the Chinese New Year season annually, contingents from various schools and organisations will march down the streets of Singapore . Each contingent can be distinguished by their personalised floats and costumes that should reflect a specific theme related to the aims of the Singapore Wildlife Stampede. Heading the procession would be Dr Jane Goodall herself.

      Shan You Events on Heart Disease

      Shan You Counselling Centre puts on many useful seminars/workshops on health, both physical and mental, with a vegetarian perspective. Here’s an event on heart health, with Chinese and English versions.

      1. Name of event - Heart Disease: A healthier heart with Mind-Body Medicine (an English talk-cum-workshop)

      Date: 10 Nov, 2pm–6pm

      Event venue: Toa Payoh Central Community Club
      Fee: $8 per participant
      Contact person: Mr Samuel Chua or Mr Sebastian Li
      Contact: 6741.9293 / samuelchua@... or

      sebastian@...

      Synopsis:

      Heart disease is the second biggest killer next to cancer in Singapore and has considerable impact on the family and society. Treatment of sufferers is prolonged and expensive. More significantly, this highly preventable disease is progressively affecting people at the peak of their lives, disrupting families and devastating finances. Come and discover how simple, practical and safe evidence-based techniques can help you prevent, manage and even recover from heart diseases. Participants can sign up for a one–time free consultation-session with Shan You Counselling Centre.

      2. Name of event: Heart Disease: A healthier heart with Mind-Body Medicine (a Chinese workshop)

      Date: 1 Dec, 2pm–4pm

      Event venue: Toa Payoh Central Community Club
      Fee: to be confirmed
      Contact person; Ms Winnie Wong or Mr Sebastian Li
      Contact: 6741.9293 / winniewong@... or

      sebastian@...

      Kenosis Living Spring Presents

      Kenosis Living Spring is a Catholic organisation with a pro-veg holistic health orientation. On 10 Nov, Fr. Anselm and Wendy Yeo, Herbalist, will share on St. Hildegard of Bingen's Six Precious Age Old Golden Rules of Life, such as Christian virtues, the four elements, proper nutrition, exercise and rest, restoration of health through sleeping and waking, and regeneration through elimination and secretion.

      St. Hildegard was a German mystic and prophet of the 12th Century.

      Menu:

       1.  Heart Wine (for blood circulation)

       2.  Spelt and Mushroom Soup

       3.  Spelt Pancake with Apple Sauce

       4. Spelt coffee and fennel tea

      Date:      10 Nov, Sat

      Time:      2pm-4.30 pm

      Venue:    Church of Ss Peter and Paul (3rd floor chapel)

      Charge: $20.00 per person (to defray cost of materials, ingredients etc)

      Please register and pay at the Church of Ss Peter and Paul office if you would like to attend. For all enquiries, Selena at 6870.3739 during office hours.

      Veg Outlet News, Including Dim Sum at IMM Jurong

      1. A vegetarian dim sum and pastry kiosk has opened at Level 1 of IMM Jurong. They are open daily 10am-10pm. No eggs.

      2. Ci Yuan vegetarian Delights in Hup Lee Huat Food Court , Blk 301,Ubi Ave 1 #01-305. Foods include wan tan noodle, laksa, mee rebus, bak kut teh, yong tau foo, and mee soto. Contact: 91883955, Miss Ng.

      3. Green Vegetarian in KoFu FoodCourt next to Sheng Song Supermarket below multi-storey carpark, opp Commonweath MRT. Open daily till 10pm. No brown rice; no egg.

      4. Closed: Vegetarian Food Stall at Blk 354, Clementi Ave 2, #01-157.

      Should We Eat Kangaroos To Slow Global Warming

      Below is an article from an Australian newspaper which reports that the environmental group Greenpeace is urging people in Australia to eat kangaroos as a way to reduce the amount of greenhouse gases produced in the industrial farming of cows and other of our fellow animals. Of course, VSS does not support eating kangaroos, but we’re glad to see more attention brought to the environmental destruction caused by factory farming. Maybe that’s what Greenpeace had in mind.

      Herald Sun, Karen Collier, October 10, 2007

      More kangaroos should be slaughtered and eaten to help save the world from
      global warming, environmental activists say.

      The controversial call to cut down on beef and serve more of the national
      symbol on our dinner plates follows a report on curbing greenhouse gas
      emissions damaging the planet.

      Greenpeace energy campaigner Mark Wakeham urged Aussies to substitute some
      red meat for roo to help reduce land clearing and the release of methane
      gas.

      more at:
      http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22562480-662,00.html

      Antioxidants and Knee Joints

      A study (see URL below) examined the preventative affects of vitamin C and E intake via whole foods on knee joint health. Over a ten year period, men and women, mostly between the ages of 40 and 70, all with healthy knees, had their fruit and vegetable intake tracked via survey. Their knees were examined at the beginning and end of the ten year period. Subjects with the greatest intake of fruits and vegetables rich in vitamins C and E were found to have the lowest occurrence of bone marrow lesions and tibial bone expansion, two common precursors to osteoarthritis. The article concludes the more fruits and vegetables you eat, the better chance you have or warding off osteoarthritis.

      Wang Y., et al.  Effect of antioxidants on knee cartilage and bone in healthy, middle-aged subjects: a cross-sectional study.  Arthritis Research and Therapy.  2007;9:R66.

      More Evidence That Veg Can Help with Weight Loss and Cancer Recovery

      Two news studies by PCRM experts suggest that a vegan diet aids long-term weight loss and increases chances of survival after prostate cancer diagnosis.

      http://foodconsumer.org/7777/8888/C_ancer_31/100205552007_PCRM_Studies_Confirm_Weight_Loss_and_Cancer_Survival_Benefits_of_Plant-Based_Diet.shtml

      Holistic Health Green Carnival @ Fort Canning Centre

      On 24-25 Nov (Sat-Sun), 10am-8pm, Lapis Lazuli Light is organizing a Holistic Health Green Carnival at Fort Canning Centre. Find out how to energize water, learn about healthy eating for ourselves and our children and discover ways to live safer in midst of harmful electromagnetic fields and radiation; and more...

      Free admission

      http://www.lapislazulilight.com/activities/200711/aboutAntFlyerEng.jpg

      http://mail.yahoo.com