VSS eNewsletter 27 September 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2007

      VSS eNewsletter, 27 September 2007

      VSS News

      Exhibition at NUS Central Library – 1-5 Oct

      VSS Talk at Library@Orchard – Sun, 7Oct – 3-4pm

      World Vegetarian Day on Batam

      Other News

      World Animal Day – 5-7 Oct

      Indian Veg Gets Even Healthier

      Mid-Autumn Festival Veg Buffet Lunch

      Take the Veggie Challenge

      New Veg Stall in Bukit Gombak

      A Brief History of the Love-Hate Relationship with Mock Meats

      Lancet Article: Less Meat Means Less Heat

      Reasons To Be Veg

      VSS News

      Exhibition at NUS Central Library – 1-5 Oct

      The NUS Animal Welfare Group - http://nusanimalwelfare.multiply.com - invited VSS to mount our exhibition panels, etc. as part of a weeklong exhibition they are doing at the NUS Central Library, in the space just through the glass doors of the library but before the gantries and reception desk, 1-5 Oct, M-F. We gladly accepted. Please spread the word to anyone you know at NUS.

      VSS Talk at Library@Orchard – Sun, 7Oct – 3-4pm

      VSS will do a series of talks at Library@Orchard leading up to our exhibition there, 3-18 Nov. The first talk, by one of VSS’s most popular speakers, Bala, is on Sun, 7 Oct, 3-4pm and is titled ‘Breathe! And Be Free!’ This repeat talk is by special request of NLB staff who liked it a lot when Bala did a similar session at Tampines Regional Library during the VSS exhibition there during Singapore Meatout Week 2007. Bala is a trained yoga teacher and all-around great guy!

      Volunteers are needed to staff the exhibition, 3-18 Nov – open every day, 10am-9pm, Shifts are 10am-2pm, 2pm-6pm, and 6pm-9pm. Please arrive at least 10 mins before your shift begins. Contact info@... if you might be able to take some shifts. Duties include handing out flyers to anyone who is interested and talking with anyone who would like to chat about what they see in the exhibition. You don’t need to know answers to every possible concern or question – no one does.

      World Vegetarian Day on Batam

      Our friends in the Indonesia Vegetarian Society - http://www.ivs-online.org/v2/index.php - are once again doing a World Vegetarian Day event on Batam, Oct 1 and 2, with VSS putting up our educational materials. For details: heny@..., ivsbatam@...

      Visit the following site for World Vegetarian Day e-cards: http://www.hknet.org.nz/VegeWVD.html

      Other News

      World Animal Day – 5-7 Oct

      To mark World Animal Day, Acres – www.acres.org.sg - will be celebrating Singaporeans' support for animal protection efforts by holding a 3-day animal-themed festival. There will be a photographic exhibition, music, dance, children's activities and a large array of educational exhibits on animal protection issues, along with the opportunity for everyone to find out how they can help make the world a better place for the fellow animals we share it with here.

      Also, Acres aims to collect 10,000 signatures for the global “Animals Matter to Me” campaign in support of a Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare to be endorsed by governments of the world. This is a call to everyone, worldwide, to recognise all animals as sentient beings who can feel pain and can suffer and to whom we have a responsibility to put an end to the cruelty they suffer.

      Venue:          The Atrium @ Orchard, 60B Orchard Road map
      Day/Time:     Fri, Sat and Sun, 10am to 10pm daily

      Indian Veg Gets Even Healthier

      Brown rice and other healthier options are becoming more common at Chinese veg outlets, and now a reader reports a brown rice set at an Indian veg outlet: Mantra Vegetarian Bistro. Plus, they have fruit juice and no oil dosas. If readers know of similar developments at other Indian veg outlets, pls email info@...

      Here are Mantra’s details -

      Address:       138 Cecil Street, #01 - 02, Cecil Court
      Open:           M-F, 8am-9pm; Sat 8am-6pm
      Tel:
      6223.2377
      MRT:            Raffles Place
      Bus:             Alight in front of SIA Bldg on Robinson Rd , or GB Bldg on Cecil St

      And, in a related development, the Komalas fast food Indian veg outlets are now offering fruit salad.

      Mid-Autumn Festival Veg Buffet Lunch

      Shuanglin Monastery at 184 Jalan Toa Payoh [entrance by Kim Keat Link] is putting on a Mid-Autumn Festival Healthy Vegetarian 16-Course Buffet Lunch on Sun, 13 Oct, 11.30 am to 2.30 pm.

      They promise less oil, less salt, no MSG. Therefore, you can enjoy the original sweetness of the plants, such as corn, carrots, melon, and salad. Cold dishes and hot dishes will be served, definitely different from conventional vegetarian cooking!

      Special Price: $10 per head [usual price $16], $5 for children under 12. Tickets are on sale at Shuanglin Monastery from 21 to 25 Sep. Advance booking welcome; contact Pei Ling at 9615.0993.

      Take the Veggie Challenge

      Here’s a great idea from our friends at the Toronto Vegetarian Association, and it’s open to anyone in the world. Go vegetarian or vegan for one week for a chance to win some great prizes, although some of the prizes are only available in North America. You’ll also be helping to create a healthier, greener, more peaceful world.

      For details: http://veg.ca/content/view/26/56/

      Veg Stall in Bukit Gombak

      A reader sent the following info:

      Veg stall at Blk 373 Bt Batok Coffeeshop, (5 mins walk from Bt Gombak MRT). Open till 9pm daily, except Monday till 2pm only. Do not serve brown rice or eggs.

      A Brief History of the Love-Hate Relationship with Mock Meats
      The following piece, excerpted slightly, was contributed by a vegetarian whose pen name is Moonpointer. To reply, go to http://www.moonpointer.com/index.php?itemid=1766

      A theory says mock meats (vegetarian food that mimics the appearance and taste of various real meats) were initially invented by meat-sellers for making more money, so that when folks turned vegetarian, they can sell them the mock version of their meats, as long as they would like to have some food which resembles real meat. I think this is a skilful means, albeit accidental, that helps to gradually wean people off real meat. In time to come, more vegetarians manufacture and improve more mock meats.

      With more mock meats tasting similar to, and sometimes even better than real meats, those who are attached to meat merely for its taste have increasingly fewer reasons not to turn vegetarian. Nowadays, there is the mock version of almost every popular meat. Mock meats do add to the variety of vegetarian food, ensuring that it is never dull in comparison to non-vegetarian food. Of course, proper nutrition consisting of a balanced diet of fruits, grains, beans, nuts, vegetables etc. is important. It's good news though, that these days, more mock meats are created using healthier ingredients.

      Despite the above understanding of the rationale for having mock meats, there is a common question raised by non-vegetarians, who think vegetarians who eat mock meats are hypocritical. The question is usually in this form, “If you really do not wish to eat meat, why eat mock meat? Doing so, aren't you still attached to meat?” The honest answers of many vegetarians are surprisingly simple. Here are some -

      1. “When I eat mock meat, I don't think of it as meat at all - because it isn't meat anyway!”
      2. “If I am really attached to meat, why am I not eating (real) meat?”
      3. “I'm attached only to the taste of mock meat, not to (the taste of) meat!”
      4. “Well, no animal gets killed for my mock meat, while animals get killed for real meat!”

      Lancet Article: Less Meat Means Less Heat

      The Lancet’ is perhaps the world’s most respected medical journal. Earlier this month they had an article on the meat-global warming connection. The Lancet article (available online, but not free) was summarized in an Australian newspaper. Here’s the link for the newspaper article, plus an excerpt:

      http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/limit-meat-eating-to-tackle-climate-change-study/2007/09/13/1189276861060.html#
      The Sydney Morning Herald - September 13, 2007 - 11:34AM
      Limit meat eating to tackle climate change: study
      by Liz Minchin

      Less meat means less heat. It's a slogan that leading scientists hope will catch on worldwide, part of a call for people to reduce consumption of meat and dairy products to slow the pace of climate change. Writing in the medical journal The Lancet, a team of international health experts led by Tony McMichael warns that the world's growing appetite for meat is increasing greenhouse gas emissions, as vast areas of rainforest are bulldozed for grazing land and as more sheep and cattle burp.

      Reasons To Be Veg

      On the web, we can find tons of good stuff on why and how to be veg. VSS president, Dr George Jacobs, especially likes this one, because it mentions the book that got him started: Diet for a Small Planet. Plus, this web piece has some current ideas about the veg-env link:

      http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2007/9/17/16200/7809

      Here’s an excerpt:

      Eating Meat Wastes Resources

      If I lie in bed and never get up, I will burn almost 2,500 calories each day; that is what's required to keep my body alive. The same physiological reality applies to all animals: The vast majority of the calories consumed by a chicken, a pig, a cow, or another animal goes into keeping that animal alive, and once you add to that the calories required to create the parts of the animal that we don't eat (e.g., bones, feathers, and blood), you find that it takes more than 10 times as many calories of feed given to an animal to get one calorie back in the form of edible fat or muscle. In other words, it's exponentially more efficient to eat grains, soy, or oats directly rather than feed them to farmed animals so that humans can eat those animals. It's like tossing more than 10 plates of spaghetti into the trash for every one plate you eat.

      And that's just the pure "calories in, calories out" equation. When you factor in everything else, the situation gets much worse. Think about the extra stages of production that are required to get dead chickens, pigs, or other animals from the farm to the table:

      1.      Grow more than 10 times as much corn, grain, and soy (with all the required tilling, irrigation, crop dusters, and so on), as would be required if we ate the plants directly.

      2.      Transport -- in gas-guzzling, pollution-spewing 18-wheelers -- all that grain and soy to feed manufacturers.

      3.      Operate the feed mill (again, using massive amounts of resources).

      4.      Truck the feed to the factory farms.

      5.      Operate the factory farms.

      6.      Truck the animals many miles to slaughterhouses.

      7.      Operate the slaughterhouses.

      8.      Truck the meat to processing plants.

      9.      Operate the meat processing plants.

      10.  Truck the meat to grocery stores (in refrigerated trucks).

      11.  Keep the meat in refrigerators or freezers at the stores.

      With every stage comes massive amounts of extra energy usage -- and with that comes heavy pollution and massive amounts of greenhouse gases, of course. Obviously, vegan foods require some of these stages, too, but vegan foods cut out the factory farms, the slaughterhouses, and multiple stages of heavily polluting tractor-trailer trucks, as well as all the resources (and pollution) involved in each of those stages. And as was already noted, vegan foods require less than one-tenth as many calories from crops, since they are turned directly into food rather than funneled through animals first.