VSS eNewsletter 23 August 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2007

      VSS eNewsletter, 23 Aug 2007

      VSS News

      Another 10,000 VCDs

      Iron-Rich Recipes

      Support Vegetarianism in Africa

      Other News

      MM Lee on Eating More Vegetables, Not More Protein

      Mandarin Cooking Course at New Green Pasture

      Organic Tour Rides Again

      Bizarro Creator Does Veg Cartoon Video with Talking Pig

      Upcoming Events at Kampung Senang

      Cooking Demo from a Champion

      VSS News

      Another 10,000 VCDs

      VSS has distributed at least 80,000 free copies of our VCD, Seeds for a Better World (in English with Chinese subtitles). In order to save costs, we pack the VCD into the sleeve and plastic cover ourselves. In early Sep, we’ll be packing another 10,000 copies of the VCD for free distribution. We have also distributed 10s of thousands of copies of our two free flyers: one (in English and Chinese) on reasons to eat less or no meat and the other (currently only in English) on how to achieve a healthy vegetarian diet.

      Obviously, all this takes money. Donations are best done by Giro - http://www.vegetarian-society.org/downloads/vssgiro.pdf - or by cheque (payable to ‘Vegetarian Society (Singapore)’ and sent to Vegetarian Society (Singapore), Singapore Shopping Centre, 190 Clemenceau Ave, #04-19/20, S. 239924 (pls note that this address is for correspondence only; VSS has no office).

      Iron-Rich Recipes

      Earlier this month, VSS participated in an event at the Bloodbank which highlighted iron-rich foods. Here are some of the veg recipes, courtesy of Goh Joo Heng and Paul Yeoh, that VSS passed on to the assembled blood donors.

      Juices (from Joo Heng - goodman48@...)

      1. carrot 10oz, spinach 6oz

      2. carrot 9oz, fennel 7oz

      3. carrot 7oz, celery 4oz, parsley 2oz, spinach 3oz

      4. carrot 8oz, beet 3 oz, celery 5oz

      5. carrot 10oz, beet 3oz, cucumber 3 oz

      6. carrot 8oz, radish 4 oz, lettuce 4oz

      Smoothie (from Paul - rawfoodcuisine@...)

      1 red dragon fruit, peeled and chopped

      1 ½ water

      1 lime (large), green peel removed, white pith remaining

      ½ cup spearmint leaves, lightly packed

      1 1/3 tbs honey (optional)

      2/3 tsp ginger juice

      Date-Almond Candy Balls (from Paul - rawfoodcuisine@...)

      ¾ cup dates, pitted and packed

      3/8 cup coconut oil, warmed to liquid

      1 ½ cup almonds ground into a flour

      ½ cup almonds, chopped into rocky pieces in a dinner plate

      • Loosely separate the dates and place them and the coconut oil in a food processor fitted with “S” blade. Puree until smooth.
      • In a large bowl, knead the almond flour into the date mixture until well combined. Wrap the batter up in a piece of parchment paper and freeze for 10mins to firm.
      • Using about ½ tablespoon per ball, roll small balls of batter – you should be able to get about 48 balls. Roll each ball in the rough chopped almonds to create a rocky texture.
      • Refrigerate and store in an airtight container for up to one month.

      Support Vegetarianism in Africa

      Here’s an appeal from the International Vegetarian Union – http://www.ivu.org – of which VSS is a member.

      The Nigeria Vegetarian Society (NVS) is planning to host the first-ever African Vegetarian Congress - Dec 8-10, 2007.

      Emmanuel Eyoh, NVS President, writes: "I am in touch with vegetarians & groups in the following countries in West Africa who will be taking part in the summit: Mali, Benin Republic, Ghana, Togo, Cameroon, Cote D'Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Sierra Leone, Nigeria plus others outside the subregion."

      IVU (International Vegetarian Union) funds are very limited but the IVU International Council has agreed to put up half of the estimated cost of US$6,000 (UKP3,000 / Euros 4,500).  We have been given a very detailed breakdown of all expenses, which include helping delegates to attend and some food for local homeless people. It is being very well-organised, but, as always in Africa , funds are desperately short.

      We need help from vegetarians in the richer countries to make up the rest of money. If everyone reading this News donated just US$2 there would be more than enough...

      Donations can be made by credit card/Paypal at:
      http://www.ivu.org/africa/donations.html

      IVU guarantees that *ALL* money sent from that page will be used in Africa , regardless of how much is given.

      Isaac Diekocha, IVU Regional Co-ordinator for Africa, based in South Africa , writes: "I have been to Vegetarian Society of Nigeria. The executive members hosted me during my west African tour and I saw the good work they are doing. They are active and have organized major vegetarian events in Africa . There have been financial aid requests from many African groups in the past which I did not approve. The fact is that I only try to approve the request of societies I know that are active and that can use the money wisely in promoting vegetarianism in their locality."

      PLEASE HELP!

      Other News

      MM Lee on Eating More Vegetables, Not More Protein

      Here’s an excerpt from an article in The Straits Times 7 Aug ’07. The most interesting part is the last sentence.

      Headline: Green future: Why MM is not optimistic

      Byline: Lynn Lee

      A PESSIMISTIC Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew said he could not predict what would impact regional growth in 50 years given the damage now taking place to the global environment.

      Asked about what he thought could stonewall Asia 's growth in the years ahead, he reflected on the issue of climate change.

      The changes that have been set in motion, he told his 180-strong audience at The Arts House yesterday, 'have already changed the balance between what the planet can bear, and what the human beings want from the world'.

      'So global warming is one big enormous problem that we end up with,' he said, pointing to out-of-whack weather patterns that have spawned droughts, hurricanes and typhoons, and led to glaciers melting.

      Reflecting on concerns about global warming that he had highlighted in April, he asked: 'Will we have the wisdom and ability to prevent this degradation of the environment?

      'I have very serious reservations, because I don't see any government telling its people to consume less...less travel, less food, eat more vegetables, don't eat more protein. That's not the way the world is going.'

      You can view the web cast from http://www.straitstimes.com /Pioneers+Of+Singapore/Lee +Kuan+Yew/Lee+Kuan+Yew.html

       Mandarin Cooking Course at New Green Pasture

      New Green Pasture restaurant on Level 4 of Fortune Centre is the top vegetarian eatery at Fortune Centre not just because of its location. In addition to its tasty and healthy food, New Green Pasture is also the only restaurant in Singapore with a donation can for VSS.

      Mdm Sophia Teh of New Green Pasture will be doing another one of her Mandarin language cooking courses beginning Sun, 30 Sep, 3-6pm and continuing at the same time and place for a total of four Sundays, ending 21 Oct. Among the dishes to be taught are Healthy Nasi Lemak, Organic Rejuvinac, Mr Potato on Diet, Colourful Popiah and Vegetarian Bak-ku-teh.

      Investment: $200

      Info: 6336.8755, 9451.2799

      Organic Tour Rides Again

      During Singapore Meatout Week 2007, one of the most popular events was the Organic Tour on 22 Jul. In fact, the tour was so popular, that another day was added, and even that wasn’t enough to meet the demand. Thus, another tour has been arranged. Here are the details.

      Date: 29 Sep (Sat)

      Price: S$50 nett

      Itinerary :

      8.30am : Assemble @ Old Outram Park MRT’s Taxi Stand (opp. SGH)

      8.45am : Departure (sharp)

      [light breakfast on coach]

      9.30am : Fire Flies Health Farm ( Plot 75 Lim Chu Kang Lane 2, Tel: 6793.7875 )

      [ guided tour to go round the organic farm, learn about farming methods & the use/recycle of the left behind natural vegetable/fruits waste as compose/fertiliser; fresh produce shopping]

      11.00am : Spring Orchard ( 1 Lim Chu Kang Lane 4, Tel: 6310.1884 )

      [brief introduction to dragon fruits; participants can have a self-guided tour round the farm; fresh produce shopping]

      12.00pm : Lunch @ Biogenic International (147B Telok Ayer St , Tel: 6226.2621)

      [lunch is specially prepared with enzymes, amino acids, antioxidants, phytonutrients, minerals, vitamins and trace elements]

      2:00pm : Shopping @ Chyuan Shiang Energy ( 12 Arumugam Road, #05-03 Lion Building B Tel: 6745.5367) [1/2hour talk on types of food to repair cells; simple food preparation demo with sampling session; shopping at 10% discount storewide]

      4.30pm : Yes Natural organic shop (599/599A Geylang Road 38, Tel: 6846.1580)

      [food sampling session; shopping; 1/2 hour talk focus on harmful food preservatives]

      5.30pm : Dinner @ WholeEarth Veg Restaurant ( 593 Geylang Rd , Tel: 6841.3319)

      [creative and wholesome dinner, in an exclusive and cozy dining atmosphere]

      6:30pm - 7.00pm : Drop off at Aljunied MRT station.

      **itinerary subject to change, in unforeseen circumstances, without prior notice

      For info, call or sms: 9362.7493, 9006-5525

      Bizarro Creator Does Veg Cartoon Video with Talking Pig

      The veg creator of the Bizarro cartoon that appears regularly in The Straits Times has put together a video of about 8 mins featuring a talking pig explaining why humans are not born to eat meat. You should be able to watch the video at one of the following two places:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05zhL1YUd8Q

      http://www.bizarro.com/videos/mov/VeganVideoWeb.mov

      Upcoming Events at Kampung Senang

      Here are two upcoming events from our friends at Kampung Senang.

      1. Oxygen Hi Fiber Juicing Class

      1/9, 15/9

      Sat, 2pm-3.30pm

      Fee: $12 per class

      2. 2-Day Family Bonding, Detox & Organic Diet Camp

      6 th/7 th  Oct 07 Sat/Sun

      9.30am-5pm   (Bilingual)

      Fee: $150/pax

      For more info: Kampung Senang Holistic Lifestyle Centre, Blk 106, Aljunied Crescent, #01-205, S380106, Tel: 6749.8509, email@...

      Cooking Demo from a Champion

      David Jackson Tan won the Flavors of the World Cooking Competition at the Singapore Food Expo held 28 May06 at Singapore Expo. Organizers were Health Promotion Board, People's Association and the Singapore Food Manufacturers' Association. David’s entry was  one of the two vegetarian dishes);so, he was competing with ten non-vegetarian dishes in terms of taste.

      The dishes he will be demonstrating this Sunday are Couscous Salad, Spinach Wrap, and Curried Carrot and Apple Soup. Other dishes by another demonstrator are: Apricot Candy, Oat Waffles, and Vegetarian Sweet Sour Fish.

      Date: Aug 26 (Sun)

      Time: 4pm to 6pm

      Fees: $20 person (Dinner provided at 6pm)

      Place: 6 Ashwood Grove, S. 739956

      Registration via sms to Mark Chan 9743.8362 or email markchan@...