VSS eNewsletter 4 August 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2007

      VSS eNewsletter, 4 Aug 2007

      VSS News

      VSS at the Bloodbank at SGH

      Low-Cost Accommodation at IVU World Vegetarian Congress + Tours

      Lunch with Other Pro-Earthling Organisations

      National Volunteerism & Philanthropy Conference

      Other News

      Interview with 110-Year-Old Vegetarian

      Acres Advert Video

      Restaurant Reviews Sought

      World’s First Healthcare Insurance for Vegetarians and ‘Meatleavers’

      Kiss Me: I’m Vegetarian

      VSS News

      VSS at the Bloodbank at SGH

      On Sat, 11 Aug from 12pm - 4pm, the Bloodbank will be having a food "eatout" for blood donors and they are inviting representatives from different food cultures to bring food of their cultures that are high in iron to introduce to blood donors. We’ve been invited. This is a good opportunity for VSS to promote healthy and tasty vegetarian foods that are high in iron.

      The Bloodbank is located at 11 Outram Road , in the Health Sciences Authority building on the SGH campus, S. 169078, Tel: 6220-0183 ext 15, Fax: 6223-8508
      Email:
      darrick.toh@..., Website: www.redcross.org.sg or www.donorweb.org (A volunteer portal of Blood Programme)

      Representing vegetarians will be two people who’ve been mentioned recently in this newsletter, Goh Joo Heng, a champion blood donor, and Paul Yeoh, a teacher of raw food cuisine. Please come down, tell people about vegetarianism, sample the food, and, most importantly, donate blood.

      Low-Cost Accommodation at IVU World Vegetarian Congress + Tours

      The World Vegetarian Congress in Dresden , Germany is now less that a year away: http://www.ivu.org/congress/2008

      This will be the 100 th anniversary of the first World Veg Congress, held in the same city in 1908. The organisers of the 2008 IVU World Vegetarian Congress have put together a varied 7-day programme with something for almost everyone, and it will be held in the centre of picturesque Dresden .

      Germany is not cheap, but Congress organisers are offering cheap accommodation for young people (or those who do not mind) in large tents, 7 EUR per person, per night (shower coins cost an extra 2 EUR).

      The first post congress tour (environmentally friendly) is available: 5 days, Berlin (capital) - Potsdam (Prussian residence, many historical sites) - Spreewald (a picturesque area with rivers and forests, a biosphere reservation with many interesting sites and people). 499 EUR pp double occupancy, plus 140 EUR for
      single occupancy. Check the next issue of IVU Online News for information on other tours.

      Lunch with Other Pro-Earthling Organisations

      On Sat, 25 Aug, representatives from VSS will be having lunch with representatives from other local organisations that look out for humans and other animals, such as Acres - http://acres.org.sg and Cat Welfare Society - http://www.catwelfare.org

      The purpose of the get together is to build bonds, exchange experience and explore collaboration. If you represent another such organisation and would like to attend, please contact info@... and we’ll pass your info to the folks who are organising the lunch.

      National Volunteerism & Philanthropy Conference

      VSS has been invited to participate in the National Volunteerism & Philanthropy Conference, 30-31 Oct. Right now, VSS doesn’t have anyone to attend on our behalf. If you’d like to represent VSS, at your own expense, please contact info@...

      Conference details are at: http://www.nvpc.org.sg/conference07

      Other News

      Interview with 110-Year-Old Vegetarian

      Teresa Hsu was born in China 110 years ago. She has been a vegetarian from birth, because she wasn’t able to digest meat. She went on to become a nurse, working in the UK , Paraguay , Malaysia and elsewhere, before settling in Singapore in the 1960s. For many, many years, Sister Teresa, as she is affectionately known, has directed a charity, Heart-to-Heart Service, which aids poor people: http://www.hearttoheartservice.org She continues that work today, in addition to teaching yoga. (IVU Online News would like to thank Mr Sharana Rao for his help in facilitating this interview.)

      1. You have never eaten meat from the day you were born due to the fact that your body rejects animal flesh. At what age did not eating meat become a conscious choice, and why did you make that choice?

      I have been allergic to non-veg food since birth. I became a conscious vegetarian one day during the 1950s, when I was sitting by a river and saw the fish playing happily with each other. I thought to myself that we humans have no right to end their fun, put a knife in their throats, and cause them great pain for our pleasure.

      2. You distribute food to poor people. Do you distribute only vegetarian food?

      Yes, I distribute only vegetarian food. Some volunteers who help with the food distribution question me about why I do not give the recipients what they enjoy eating. My answer is to ask them the following: If your child was playing in the forest and wild animals who lived in the forest wanted to eat your child, would you say that it was okay because your child was born for these other animals to enjoy eating?

      3. Is the world today a better place that it was 100 years ago?

      In some ways, today’s world is more modern and offers certain facilities that didn’t exist 100 years ago, but these facilities are available only to those who can afford them. Basically, the world is still the same, with poor people everywhere, then and now.

      4. What are your three main sources of joy?

      Sun shining, birds singing, leaves dancing, in other words, the beauty of nature.

      5. Do you know any vegetarian jokes?

      Why did the tomato blush? Because it saw the salad dressing.

      Acres Advert Video

      As you probably know, our friends at Acres are building a sanctuary for animals who are rescued from the clutches of the wild animal trade. They sent out the following is search of financial help.

      Acres is badly in need of funds to complete the Wildlife Rescue Centre. It's so close to completion that we need this final push to see us through. It's an emergency Saatchi & Saatchi along with Rushes Network, SongZu & BlackMagic Design produced this video to raise awareness of this plight. Donations to Acres are also now eligible for Double Tax exemption. Every $100 donated gives you $200 off in taxes.   The video is on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlskttwDoYA

      Restaurant Reviews Sought

      VegDining.com invites you to submit mini-reviews of your recent visits to veg and veg-friendly restaurants. Until Sep 30, all submissions will be entered into a drawing for some exciting vegetarian prizes. The drawing will be held on World Vegetarian Day (Oct 1).

      Also, VegDining is recruiting vegetarian freelance travel writers to join its team, on a pay-per-article basis. If you've recently visited or soon will be visiting destinations that might be of interest to fellow vegetarians, send a note, with a brief sample of your writing, to info@... (no attachments please).

      World’s First Healthcare Insurance for Vegetarians and ‘Meatleavers’

      The Vega Insurance Policy in the Netherlands gives vegetarians, vegans and semi-vegetarians (meatleavers) the possibility to take out a collective health care policy and to make use of a large number of benefits tailored to vegetarian lifestyles. Research in the Netherlands suggests a large demand for this policy, and already 1000 people have signed up. Many policyholders consider it an acknowledgement of their lifestyle. Because of its unique character, there is interest in the Vega Insurance Policy outside the Netherlands as well.

      In addition to protecting themselves, the participants of the collective insurance policy can protect our fellow animals by supporting the Stichting Wakker Dier (a Dutch animal welfare organisation), the Dutch Union of Vegetarians or Adopt a Chicken (an initiative to make consumers more aware of the poor living conditions on poultry farms) up to 25 euros. As a gift of welcome, all participants receive a Greencard VISA that offsets free of charge and for a lifetime the CO2 gas omissions of all purchases made with this credit card.

      The Vega Insurance Policy is the first product developed by the Stichting PreventiePolis and is recommended by the Dutch Union of Vegetarians, Adopt a Chicken and the Stichting Wakker Dier. To date, there is no English language website about this insurance policy, but more information is available at commpassion@...

      Kiss Me: I’m Vegetarian

      According to http://www.stuff.co.nz/4146636a10.html, Dr Annie Potts, co-director of the New Zealand Centre for Human and Animal Studies at Canterbury University (the opening of which was mentioned in these pages earlier this year), has coined the term ‘vegansexual’. The term derives from data in Dr Potts’ recently published research on cruelty-free consumption in New Zealand .

      Vegansexual refers to vegans – people who eat no animal products – who only have intimate relations with other vegans.

      "When you are vegan or vegetarian, you are very aware that when people eat a meaty diet, they are kind of a graveyard for animals", Professor Potts is quoted as saying. The full research report can be found at http://www.nzchas.canterbury.ac.nz/research/Survey_Report_May_2007.pdf

      However, the term ‘vegansexual’ does not seem to appear in the report.

      Here’s a quote from one participant in the study: “ I couldn’t think of kissing lips that allow dead animal pieces to pass between them”.