VSS eNewsletter 3 July 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2007

      VSS eNewsletter, 3 Jul 2007

      VSS News

      Earthfest – 07-07-07 – with VSS Exhibition and 2 Talks

      Menu for Kick-Off Dinner for Singapore Meatout Week 2007

      Exhibition at Tampines Regional Library

      VSS at Art Magazine Issue Launch – 15 Jul

      Organic Tour Full, But

      Last Chance for Restaurants to Sign Up for Rojak Indulgence

      Other News

      Kampung Senang Thailand Trip

      Vegan Cartoonist in The Straits Times

      Outlet at Suntec Closes, But

      The Obvious Becomes More Obvious – Meat and Global Warming

      And Even Gourmets Can No Longer Hide from the Truth

      Veg Female Boxer

      We (and our fellow animals) Are Winning, But Much Too Slowly

      Dinner, Talk, Free Autographed Book – Fri, 6 Jul

      VSS News

      Earthfest – 07-07-07 – with VSS Exhibition and 2 Talks

      In recognition of the role that vegetarianism can play in protecting the environment, VSS has been asked to take part in the local version of Live Earth, an international concert featuring Madonna, Bon Jovi, Genesis, Kelly Clarkson and many others from 7 continents: www.liveearth.msn.com

      The goal of this international effort on 7-8 Jul is to spur ourselves into action to slow Global Warming. We in Singapore can take part in Earthfest to be held at One Fullerton, from 1pm-10pm, Sat, 7 Jul, and 10am-10pm, Sun, 8 Jul. Free admission. http://www.greenlive.com.sg

      MediaCorp TV Channel 5 will be broadcasting the entire 24hr LiveEarth concert from 7pm on Sat, 7 Jul. Billed as "concerts for a climate in crisis", this groundbreaking event will be staged worldwide. To date, MediaCorp TV Channel 5 is the only free-to-air broadcaster in the world who will be airing the full 24hr event.

      http://leafmonkey.blogspot.com/2007/06/liveearth-and-earthfest-070707.html
      http://leafmonkey.blogspot.com/2007/06/channel-5-to-broadcast-live-earth-in.html

      VSS will be doing an exhibition at Earthfest at One Fullerton, and we’ll be speaking there on Sat at 1.05pm and on Sun at 8.50pm. Also, we need help with someone to wear a Batman uniform. We already have Bat Girl and Spiderman. We already have the uniform – muscles included. All you need to bring are black shoes. Contact cturners@... if you can be Batman for a few hours Sat. afternoon.

      Menu for Kick-Off Dinner for Singapore Meatout Week 2007

      Below is the menu for the dinner on Fri, 20 Jul, 7pm-10pm, at Doc Cheng’s Restaurant on Level 2 of Raffles Hotel. The dinner will kick off Singapore Meatout Week 2007, 21-29 Jul. Here’s the menu, followed by payment instructions.

      Chilli Flakes and Herb Infused Tandoor Bread

      ***

      Gazpacho with Vegetable Tempura

      and Basil Oil

      ***

      Singapore Rojak Doc Cheng's Style & Stuffed Tomato Confit

      ***

      Grilled Spicy Eggplants with Pak Choy,

      Yuzu Reduction and Black Olive Mashed Potatoes

      ***

      Berry Soup with Strawberry Sorbet

      The dinner is titled ‘Modern Asian Delights - An exciting new era of vegetarianism’. (Thanks for the many reader suggestions on the dinner’s title.) Price: $100. Email info@... to arrange payment. Someone has already called to book a table for 10 pax.

      Exhibition at Tampines Regional Library

      Following successful exhibitions at the Central Library (Jul06) and Woodlands Regional Library (Jan07), VSS has been invited to bring our exhibition to Tampines Regional Library 14-29 Jul. The exhibition will be open during regular library hours: 10am-9pm. Even if you’ve seen the exhibition before, you’ll want to come again, as we are constantly trying to upgrade it. You might also want to help staff the exhibition.

      As part of the 2wk exhibition, 14-29 Jul, on Sat., 21 Jul, we’ll have a day of presentations. For details, pls go to:

      http://www.nlb.gov.sg/CPMS.portal?_nfpb=true&_windowLabel=portlet_2_10_1&portlet_2_10_1_actionOverride=%2FIBMS%2FnewsAndEvents%2FdateSelection&_pageLabel=CPMS_page_events

      Alternatively, go to http://www.nlb.gov.sg and click on Current Events in the left frame. Then, use the calendar to go to 21 July and scroll down to Tampines Regional Library. The VSS events are in English at 10.30, 12noon, 2pm, 4pm, and 6pm.

      VSS at Art Magazine Issue Launch – 15 Jul

      A local art magazine has invited VSS members and friends to its free upcoming issue launch. The magazine, Forum on Contemporary Art & Society (FOCAS), is titled Regional Animalities. “Regional Animalities concerns the ways in which human/animal places, spaces, ecologies and exchanges are imagined, represented and performed in a range of historic and contemporary contexts in South East Asia.”

      VSS has a hard-hitting ad in this issue, designed at no cost by staff at the local office of the internationally renowned marketing company, Saatchi & Saatchi: http://www.saatchi.com/worldwide/fast_track.asp

      FOCAS’s celebratory issue launch begins at approximately 7pm on the evening of Sun 15 Jul at The Substation Theatre on Armenian Street . For more info: focas@...

      Organic Tour Full, But

      The Organic Tour that VSS has organised on Sun, 22 Jul, filled very quickly. Fortunately, someone has offered to organise a second, similar tour on Sun, 29 Jul. Although this won’t be an official VSS event, we encourage people to attend.

      Last Chance for Restaurants to Sign Up for Rojak Indulgence

      During Singapore Meatout Week, 21-29 Jul, VSS is organising what we’re calling Rojak Indulgence to promote rojak as a tasty, healthy, compassionate signature dish for Singapore . Here’s how it works:

      1. Restaurants and food stalls design their own version of rojak and tell us about it
        1. Why is it unique? (no need to send the entire recipe)
        2. Price?
        3. Photos can also be sent

      1. We send the information to the media and encourage the media to feature these vegetarian versions of rojak

      1. We also send the list to the Singapore Food Festival for their website.

      If you know an interested outlet, please ask them to contact info@... before this Fri. There is no cost to the outlet, and they don’t need to go anywhere or send their rojak anywhere; all they need to do is to put rojak on their menu from 21-29 Jul. For example, the two Ling Zhi restaurants will be participating, as will Ci Yan on Smith Street .

      Other News

      Kampung Senang Thailand Trip

      Our friends at Kampung Senang Holistic Living Centre are organising a 10-day Thailand Meditation cum Detox Camp Tour, 9-19 Aug, at Mon Ta Krai Resort & Organic Farm, in Chiang Mai. Cost is $1088/non-member and $1038/member. For more info, 6749.8509, email@...

      Vegan Cartoonist in The Straits Times

      Ever seen the ‘Bizarro’ cartoon that runs in the Life section of The Straits Times? As you might have guessed, the author is a vegetarian. Read more about him in this article from a Canadian newspaper

      http://thesuburban.com/content.jsp?sid=13459477311548525396160860556&ctid=1000073&cnid=1011863

      And, visit http://www.bizarro.com for a collection of Dan Piraro’s work. Be sure to visit the ‘Animals’ page for an explanation of why Dan became vegetarian in 2002, as well as many related cartoons, including one with a pig wearing a t-shirt that says, “Meat Kills (Both of Us)”.

      Outlet at Suntec Closes, But

      A reader wrote in to report that the following outlet seems to have closed:

      Kingdom Vegetarian Coffee House, Suntec City Mall T2, #02-544. However, another reader thinks that it may have moved to Blk 139, Tampines St 11.

      The Obvious Becomes More Obvious – Meat and Global Warming

      We apologize for including yet another article on the connection between meat and environmental destruction, but please note the origin of this recent piece, the Business section of the International Herald Tribune, that standby of the international business traveller:  http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/06/06/business/greencol07.php

      Please share the article with some bright person you know who remains rather dim on this still-not-well-known reason to go veg. And, here’s a related piece: http://www.european-vegetarian.org/lang/en/news/news.php?id=22476

      And Even Gourmets Can No Longer Hide from the Truth

      First the International Herald Tribune has an article on the link between meat and Global Warming, and now Gourmet magazine’s June 07 edition - http://www.epicurious.com/gourmet/toc - has an article that goes into illuminating detail about the horrible “life” of chickens on factory farms. Great article – even VSS members might learn something new, such as that in the U.S., in 1955, it took chickens about 17 weeks to reach their slaughter weight of 6 pounds (2.73 kilos), and in 2006, it took only 6 weeks before these innocent, thinking, feeling fellow animals were killed. Here’s the article:

      http://getactive.peta.org/PETA/devarticle.html

      It’s great to see an article like that in a magazine for gourmets, as most people think of gourmets as people who care more for their taste buds than anything else, like people who claim that their food is so important to them they’d rather die than go veg because they’d rather be dead than have to give up their meat, regardless of the consequences for themselves or anyone else.

      And, here’s an article showing changing attitudes (we see similar changes in Singapore ): http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/magazine/chi-mxa0527magpetamay27,1,3581744.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

      Veg Female Boxer

      Maureen Shea first won fame as the sparring partner for Hollywood star Hilary Swank as Swank prepared for her award-winning role in Clint Eastwood’s film "Million Dollar Baby”. Now, she’s a top featherweight boxer and a recent vegetarian. She also enjoys reading and writing poems. Here’s more about this surprising person:

      http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/06/11/141015.php

      We (and our fellow animals) Are Winning, But Much Too Slowly

      Here, courtesy of the eNewsletter of Vegan Outreach - http://www.veganoutreach.org/enewsletter/index.html - is a meat industry perspective on the effort we’re engaged in to convince people to change to healthier, kinder, greener diets.

      Agribusiness journal Feedstuffs editorialized (Apr 2, 2007): "Very recent developments would suggest that producers are now losing. If producers are losing, others are also losing -- everyone who has a stake in dairy, meat and poultry production... [I]t's not about animal welfare. It's not about cages and stalls... It's about raising animals for food, and the activists' agenda is to end the practice. It will take decades, but they are the ones who are winning -- piece by piece by piece."

      Dinner, Talk, Autographed Book – Fri, 6 Jul

      Last month, we reported on Betty L Khoo-Kingsley’s new book Cancer Cured Naturally with its tales of people here and abroad who have successfully taken a natural approach when faced with cancer. On Fri, 6 Jul, you can hear Betty talk about her book, obtain an autographed copy of book and eat a delicious vegetarian meal – all for $30. The event will be held at LivinGreens, 325 Beach Road (opp Concourse) from 6.30pm-8.30pm. To reserve your place: 9663-3236, imeng62@...