VSS eNewsletter 1 May 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2007

      VSS eNewsletter, 1 May 2007

      Back to Suntec with LianHe WanBao

      Other Meatout Events

      Meatout Dinner at Doc Cheng’s Restaurant at Raffles Hotel

      Other News

      Inter-Religious Vegetarian Food Fair

      Veg Outlet Listings

      Endangered Species TCM Labelling Scheme

      Graceful Living with Autoimmune Disorders – Mandarin Workshop

      Can Vegetarians ‘Meat’ Friends?

      Plant Foods Boost Men’s Health

      VSS News

      Back to Suntec with LianHe WanBao

      In April, VSS was given a free booth at the Qualities of Life Exhibition at Suntec, and now we have accepted LianHe WanBao’s kind offer to have a booth at their Beauty & Healthcare Fair 2007, 5-6 May (Sat & Sun), at Exhbition Hall 404, Level 4, 11am-10pm. We also hope to have a speaker at some time during the fair. 1.15pm - 2pm on Sunday

      Our theme will be ‘Prevention Is the Best Cure’. If you speak Mandarin and would like to help staff our booth, please email volunteer@...

      Other Meatout Events

      In addition to the dinner at Doc Cheng’s restaurant in Raffles Hotel, three other Singapore Meatout Week (21-29 Jul) events being planned are:

      1.                  Exhibition at Tampines Regional Library - 14-29 Jul – This will be similar to the exhibition we had at the Central Library for Singapore Meatout Week 2006 and at Woodlands Regional Library this past Jan. What’s new is that there will be more talks and food demos this year.

      2.                  Rojak Promotion – The entire week – The idea here is to promote healthy, tasty versions of rojak and make rojak a Singapore signature dish, in place of chili crab.

      3.                  Organic Tour – 22 July – The plan is to visit organic farms and at least one organic restaurant. This is a new version of something we did last Singapore Meatout Week.

      More details as they become available.

      Meatout Dinner at Doc Cheng’s Restaurant at Raffles Hotel

      Here are a couple matters we’re working on in regard to the Singapore Meatout Week dinner on Fri, 20 Jul, 7pm at Doc Cheng’s restaurant.

      1.                  The restaurant seats 80 people. We will be taking up all the seats. We are paying a total of $80 per person inclusive of all the +s. How much should we charge for tickets? Please take into account that we will probably be giving away at least a couple tickets to whoever agrees to be our Guest of Honour.

      2.                  Here are some suggestions we have received for the dinner theme:

      a.                  For Health & Compassion

      b.                  Green Aspiration

      c.                  Exciting New Era of Vegetarianism

      d.                  Meat's Out, Veg's In!

      e.                  Go Veg, It's the Cool Way to Live!

      f.                   Healthy, Tasty and Wise

      g.                  Meatout … Meetup 2007

      h.                  Go Green: Love the Animals, Love the Earth

      i.                    Modern Asian Delights   An exciting new era of vegetarianism

      j.                    Prevention Can Be Tasty

      k.                  Doc Cheng Prescribes Tasty Vegetarian Food

      l.                    Prevention the Tasty Way

      m.                Planting the Seeds of Prevention the Delicious Way

      Other News

      Inter-Religious Vegetarian Food Fair
      Ngee Ann City Civic Plaza will be the venue for an inter-religious vegetarian food fair, Sat 26 May, 10am to 8pm and Sun 27 May, 10am to 5pm. On offer will be vegetarian delicacies featuring Chinese, Malay, Indian, Western cuisine and more! Plus, there will be stage performances from different races and religions, a cultural exhibition and exciting games.

      Veg Outlet Listings

      Here are two new additions to our list of veg outlets. We appreciate all the people who’ve been writing in with updates. Pls keep it up.

      1. Name: Hwa Jin Vegetarian Food

      Address: Blk 347 Bukit Batok St. 24, #01-252, S. 650347

      MRT: Bukit Gombak

      Bus: 345

      Open: 7 days, 6am-2.30pm, 5pm-9pm (closed Sun evening)

      Special dishes: Hokkien mee, fried rice

      Onion/garlic: No

      Eggs: Yes

      MSG: Yes

      Brown Rice: No

      Delivery/Catering: No

      2. Name: Nature Vegetarian Corporation

      Address: Blk 409, Sin Ming Ave , #02-01

      Postal code: 5570409

      Nearby landmark: Bright Hill Temple

      MRT: Bishan

      Buses: 162, 410 & 52

      Open: Daily

      Hours: 7am–10pm

      Specialty dishes: Roti prata, economy rice

      Brown rice: Yes

      Organic: No

      MSG (Ajinomoto): Yes

      Onion/Garlic: No

      Eggs: Yes

      Dairy: Yes

      Phone: 6553 4719 Fax: 65534720

      Do they deliver? No

      Do they cater? Yes

      Date you collected this information: April 2007

      Endangered Species TCM Labelling Scheme

      Most TCM products are probably vegetarian. However, some TCM products come in non-vegetarian gelatine capsules: http://www.ivu.org/faq/gelatine.html  Other TCM products contain ingredients made from our fellow animals, not just in the capsule but as an ingredient in the medicine. Fortunately, steps are being taken to lessen this.

      Our friends at Acres (http://www.acres.org.sg) have teamed up with the Singapore TCM Organisations Committee to launch an Endangered Species Friendly TCM Labelling Scheme. For details: http://www.acres.org.sg/campaigns_labelscheme.htm

      Graceful Living with Autoimmune Disorders – Mandarin Workshop

      Event:          Graceful Living with Autoimmune Disorders (Mandarin)

      Style:           Hands-on experiential health workshops

      Date:            Sun 17 Jun

      Time:            10am – 1pm & 2:30 – 5:30pm

      Venue:          Toa Payoh Central CC (TPYCC), 93 Toa Payoh Central, S. 319194

      Info:             T 6741 9293 / http://www.shanyou.org.sg

      Can Vegetarians ‘Meat’ Friends

      This article, from the Australian newspaper The Daily Telegraph, discusses the social problems that vegetarians and other people with special diets (such as halal diets) sometimes encounter Down Under. Are things better in Singapore ?

      http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,,21638032-5006009,00.html

      Plant Foods Boost Men’s Health

      A study recently published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition followed more than 32,000 male health care workers between the ages of 46 and 70 since 1986. The men completed diet surveys that asked how often they ate 131 foods, including various fruits and vegetables. Results indicated that the men who consumed the most vegetables had better health and were less likely to have prostate surgery. http://www.webmd.com/content/article/131/118195.htm