VSS eNewsletter 7 April 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2007

      VSS eNewsletter, 7 April 2007

      Shark’s Fin Panel at Library@Orchard

      More Recipes on VSS Web

      Women's Health & Immunity Seminar

      Vegetarian Way to Healthy Weight

      Health Seminars in Jun, Sep, Nov

      Other News

      Time Magazine Lists Going Veg as Way to Hold Back Global Warming

      Global Warming Linked to Illnesses from Eating Marine Animals

      Study: Male Vegetarians Smell Better to Females

      Programmes and Offer by Adventist Community Services

      VSS News

      Shark’s Fin Panel at Library@Orchard

      VSS is participating on a panel titled ‘Shark’s Fin Soup: Can We Truly Eat Without Guilt?’  to be held Sat, 7 Apr, 3-4pm at Library@Orchard. The other panellists are Louis Ng (ACRES) and Grant Pereira (Sea Shepherd Conservation Society). Admission is free.

      The Library@Orchard is located at 391 Orchard Road, #05-22/26 Ngee Ann City , Podium Block, Tower B.

      More Recipes on VSS Web

      We’ve just added 15 recipes to the Recipes page on the VSS web: http://www.vegetarian-society.org/revamp/html/index.php?module=Static_Docs&func=view&f=Recipes.htm

      The recipes include veg versions of such local favourites as Assam Laksa and Nasi Briyani. The recipes were all contributed by Crystal who describes herself thusly:

      For the past 14 years, I have been a vegetarian after reading a book on animals farming. Switching to vegetarian diet was a direct cut-over for me, and I have had no unpleasant side effects at all. Two years ago, I started writing down a few quick and easy vegetarian recipes for my vegetarian son. Following that, just to share, I started posting some recipes in my blog.  Next, I am going to experiment and try to create vegetarian version recipes from non-vegetarian dishes.

      Crystal’s blog is at http://crystalbyblog.blogspot.com/

      Women's Health & Immunity Seminar

      VSS will have a display at the Women’s Health & Immunity Seminar, 21 Apr, Sat, 2.30pm-5.30pm, at the LTA Clubhouse (near Little India MRT Station, Exit B on Bukit Timah Road ). LTA Clubhouse is in the previous KK Hospital. Driving - entrance is via Kg Jaya Rd.

      The seminar will be led by Philip Bridgeman, a naturopath, herbalist and nutritionist with more than 20 years' experience. Based in Perth , Philip hosts a radio program and has been featured in many women's magazines. His book “Daniel's Diet” is a best-seller book in Australia . His Daniel’s Diet is vegetarian, but his total programme is not strictly vegetarian.

      Philip will also be available for 1-to-1 consultations on Mon 23 Apr, 9.30am to 5pm. For more info and to register: http://www.happyhomeshoppers.com, info@...; 8145.1618 or 9069.3399.

      Vegetarian Way to Healthy Weight

      Along with other organisations, such as Health Promotion Board, the Tsao Foundation and Adventist Community Services, VSS will be participating in Qualities of Life 2007, a free event at Suntec International Convention & Exhibition Centre Hall 401, 20-22 Apr.

      Incorporating principles of health, medicine and beauty, Qualities of Life 2007 aims to enhance and add value to your life. Admission is free. The event features a number of free seminars, including one by VSS on The Vegetarian Way to a Healthy Weight, on Sun, 22 Apr, 6pm. Registration for the seminars is now open. Go to http://www.qualitiesoflife.com.sg/Seminars/Topics.pdf to view the seminar topics available.

      For info: enquiries@... and http://www.qualitiesoflife.com.sg

      Health Seminars in Jun, Sep, Nov

      Shan You Counselling Centre has kindly invited VSS to exhibit at the following 2007 health seminars.

      a. 16 & 17 June (Sat & Sun) 2pm--5pm

      Conquering Autoimmune Diseases (2 Mandarin workshops)

      b. 15 & 16 Sept (Sat & Sun) 2pm--5.30pm

      Diabetes Management Mandarin Seminar (supported by Yakult)

      c. 3 & 4 Nov (Sat & Sun) 2pm--5pm

      English Seminar on Heart Disease Management using Mind Body Medicine techniques

      For more information, contact Shan You at Block 5 Upper Boon Keng Road #02-15, Singapore 380005 (Near Kallang MRT Station), Tel: 6741 9293 Fax: 6741 9352
      Email: shanyou@...

      Other News

      Time Magazine Lists Going Veg as Way to Hold Back Global Warming

      This coming week’s Time magazine features ways to slow global warming. It’s good to see that the mainstream media is realizing the meat-environment destruction link:  http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/environment/article/0,28804,1602354_1603074_1603171,00.html

      Global Warming Linked to Illnesses from Eating Marine Animals

      Among the many consequences of global warming may be an increase in diseases. Here’s an article of disease linked to the eating of our marine friends: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070401/ap_on_he_me/asia_toxic_fish

      Study: Male Vegetarians Smell Better to Females

      This study, published in the journal Chemical Senses, probably confirms what females lucky/smart enough to have vegetarian male companions have long known: we smell better. (‘axillary’ means of or relating to the armpit and ‘hedonicity’ means of or related to pleasure.)

      The article is entitled, ‘The effect of meat consumption on body odor attractiveness’ and can be purchased at: http://chemse.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/bjl017v1

      Here’s the abstract:

      Axillary body odor is individually specific and potentially a rich source of information about its producer. Odor individuality partly results from genetic individuality, but the influence of ecological factors such as eating habits are another main source of odor variability. However, we know very little about how particular dietary components shape our body odor. Here we tested the effect of red meat consumption on body odor attractiveness. We used a balanced within-subject experimental design. Seventeen male odor donors were on "meat" or "nonmeat" diet for 2 weeks wearing axillary pads to collect body odour during the final 24 hrs of the diet. Fresh odor samples were assessed for their pleasantness, attractiveness, masculinity, and intensity by 30 women not using hormonal contraceptives. We repeated the same procedure a month later with the same odor donors, each on the opposite diet than before. Results of repeated measures analysis of variance showed that the odour of donors when on the nonmeat diet was judged as significantly more attractive, more pleasant, and less intense. This suggests that red meat consumption has a negative impact on perceived body odor hedonicity.

      Programmes and Offer by Adventist Community Services

      Here are three opportunities offered by our friends at Adventist Community Services.

      1. 5-course Fine-Dining Meal (for the incredible price of $10)

      Purpose: To promote healthy plant-based diet through Fine-Dining

      Plus: Free Health Talk by Mark Chan on 7 Habits of Highly Healthy People

      Date: Apr 15 (Sun)

      Time: 6:00pm to 9:00pm

      Place: 120 Balestier Rd, S. 329680

      Fee: $10 per person ( Normal cost:$40.00)

      Contact: Mark Chan markchan@... or 97438362

      2.    Health Retreat at Farm Chokchai , Thailand

      Dates: August 8-10 (3Days/2Nights) Health Retreat at 150km from Bangkok .

      Purpose: To educate participants on health qualities of a plant-based diet.

      Fee: *$280.00 (Normal $380.00) includes all 6 vegetarian meals, accommodation, transportation, tour and 5 health lecture materials

      * Fee does not include airfare. Participants are to buy their own tickets online either with Tiger Airways or Jetstar.

      Contact person: Mark Chan markchan@... or 97438362

      3.    956-page Natural Remedies Encyclopedia by Harvesttimes Press.

      This manual features 500 diseases that could be treated, cured or prevented through using simple plant-based and herbal home remedies. Original price: US$35.00.

      Now in pdf format: S$10.00 only for VSS enewsletter subscribers.

      Contact: Mark Chan markchan@... or 97438362