VSS eNewsletter 27 February 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2007

      VSS eNewsletter 28 February 2007

      www.vegetarian-society.org

      Contents

      VSS News

      More School Talks

      Our Cookbook

      Hongbao for VSS

      Cute Carvings

      Other News

      Book about Our Fellow Animals

      Brunei Correction

      Organic Athlete

      Wouldn’t It Be Nice – Veg Sections on Airplanes

      Prof Campbell Tells Dr John McDougal’s Story (Instalment 5)

      VSS News

      More School Talks

      Over the next couple weeks, VSS has a series of talks planned at a JC. Topics include ‘Why some people are vegetarians, and other people aren’t’, ‘The connection between meat eating and global warming’, and ‘Making your own veg food’. If you know of other schools that would like talks or food demos, please contact VSS at info@...

      Our Cookbook

      In 2005, VSS authored a richly illustrated cookbook, published by SNP. Some of the dishes we demonstrate at schools and elsewhere are from that cookbook. The cookbook’s title is New Asian Traditions Vegetarian Cookbook. We hear that it is still available at Popular and other bookshops. The price at the bookshops is $28 +GST.

      Hongbao for VSS

      In the Year of the Pig, please consider doing something for all the pigs and little piglets who suffer terribly on factory farms and whose lives are cut very short to please people’s fickle taste buds. Please consider donating to VSS to aid education in support of vegetarianism. One way to donate is to become a life member at $300 or to join our Giro scheme. One-time donations are also welcome. For more information, please write to info@...

      Cute Carvings

      Visit the Downloads page of the VSS website – http://www.vegetarian-society.org – and click on ‘Carving Animal Shapes from Vegetables and Fruitsto view the clever things that people have done with fruits and vegetables. They were sent in by a reader.

      Other News

      Book about Our Fellow Animals

      Here’s information on yet another book that documents the many ways that our fellow animals are not mindless objects but intelligent beings with feelings and personalities.

      The Emotional Lives of Animals: A Leading Scientist Explores Animal Joy, Sorrow, and Empathy - and Why They Matter by Marc Bekoff with foreword by Jane Goodall.

      Bekoff's latest book, complements other recent efforts, such as Balcombe's Pleasurable Kingdom and Masson and McCarthy's When Elephants Weep, that have gone a long way toward establishing in the popular mind  the robustness of the emotional lives of animals other than humans. Based on Marc Bekoff's years of experience studying the social communication patterns of a wide range of animals, this important book shows that animals have rich emotional lives. Not only can animal emotions teach us about love, empathy, and compassion, argues Bekoff — they require us to radically rethink our current relationship of domination and abuse of animals. Award-winning scientist Bekoff skilfully blends extraordinary stories and anecdotes of animal grief, joy, embarrassment, anger, and love with the latest scientific research confirming the existence of emotions that commonsense experience has long implied. The author also explores the evolutionary purposes of emotions in a wide range of different species, showing how science is discovering brain structures that produce emotions, how we can track an evolutionary continuum based on shared brain structures among species, and how new information is being revealed by non-invasive neurological research techniques. Filled with Bekoff's light humour and touching stories, The Emotional Lives of Animals is a clarion call for reassessing both how we view animals and how we treat them.

      Brunei Correction

      Apparently, we gave an incorrect phone number for MeToo Vegetarian restaurant in Brunei . Here is the correct one: 673-245-3864.

      Organic Athlete

      The following website, with its own newsletter, promotes an organic, plant-based diet combined with lots of exercise: http://organicathlete.org

      Wouldn’t It Be Nice – Veg Sections on Airplanes

      An organization in India is advocating separate vegetarian sections in aircraft on

      the lines of non-smoking sections that airplanes used to have in the days before smoking was completely banned on flights. The reason for the separate veg sections: some vegetarians may suffer from nausea and loss of appetite when they have to watch other passengers eat non-veg food. http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/004200702181715.htm

      Prof Campbell Tells Dr John McDougal’s Story (Instalment 5)

      One of the best-known advocates of whole-food plant-based diets is Dr John McDougall. Here, from pages 329-338 of the book “The China Study”, is Prof Campbell’s telling of how Dr McDougall made the switch and what happened afterwards. In this instalment, we learn that Dr McDougall’s superiors weren’t happy when he started recommending plant-based diets to patients at the U.S. hospital where he was working as a resident.

      That [Dr McDougall’s happiness with having convinced the heart attack victim to switch to veg] lasted for about two hours. He was called into the Chief of Medicine’s office. The Chief of Medicine wields absolute authority over the residents. If he fires a resident, not only is that person out of his or her job, that person is out of his or her career. The excited couple had told their primary physician what they had just learned. The doctor replied that what they had been told wasn’t true, and promptly reported John to the Chief of Medicine.

                The Chief of Medicine had a serious conversation with John, who remembers being told that, “I was stepping far beyond my duties as a resident. I should get serious about medicine and give up all this nonsense about food having anything to do with disease.” The Chief of Medicine made it clear that on this point, John’s job, and his subsequent career, was on the line. So John bit his tongue for the rest of his education.

      Tune in next issue to find out about Dr McDougall’s graduation day conversation with the Chief of Medicine.