VSS e-newsletter 7 February 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2007

      VSS eNewsletter 7 Feb 2007

      Veg Yu Sheng

      Fun with Kites

      Meeting with Indonesia and Malaysia Societies

      A More Reasonable Tone

      Other News

      Recipe for a Quick Salad

      Talk on Food-Borne Diseases & Cancer

      Juicers, Blenders and Dehydrators

      Bak Kwa

      In the Neighbourhood – The Philippines and Brunei

      Prof Campbell Tells Dr John McDougal’s Story (Instalment 3)

      VSS News

      Veg Yusheng

      VSS helped The Straits Times with today’s article on vegetarian Yusheng, which appears on p. 12 of the regular Wednesday ‘Mind Your Body’ supplement. For a list of where to buy veg Yusheng, pls visit: http://www.vegetarian-society.org/vegyusheng.htm

      Fun with Kites

      Thx to the Singapore Kite Association for allowing VSS to come along on their kite-flying day at East Coast Park . A full range of age groups, from small kids to 80+, had a good time making, flying, and admiring a wide assortment of kites. The Kite Association’s website is http://ska.askwing.com in case you’d like to join some of their future activities.

      Meeting with Indonesia and Malaysian Societies

      Photos from last month’s meeting in Batam with veg societies from Indonesia and Malaysia can be viewed at: http://www.ivu.org/east/ims2007.html

      A More Reasonable Tone

      Last issue, we reprinted excerpts from someone with a negative view of VSS’s efforts. We responded and received a friendlier reply, excerpted below.

      Your kindly response has revealed to me that you are a rational, good natured and kind person - from the tone of your email, i can feel that you were indeed more interested to further educate and enlighten me about vegetarianism, as opposed to other vegans whom i know, who were (just like the tone of my initial email to you) more interested to condemn my belief's, as opposed to creating greater awareness and understanding. For this, though we have different ideals, you have my deepest and heartfelt respect, and i owe you a big apology (I'm Sorry!) for my initial, rather tactless rantings. Do forgive me!

      I used to be a strict vegan for about one and a half years, so i do share certain understandings and belief systems from a vegetarian's standpoint. Nevertheless, I have since given up vegetarianism.

      Other News

      Recipe for a Quick Salad

      Here’s a cooking suggestion from a kind reader.

      Sometimes the less effort we put into food preparation, the better it is for our health, because sometimes cooking decreases nutritional levels. Plus, cooking uses up fossil fuels. Here’s the quick salad I made up today:

      Ingredients

      apple (1/2), winged bean (1), celery (half of one stick), persimmon (1 small one), tomatoes (3 small ones), bell pepper (half), red chilli (1).

      Method

      Chop all the ingredients into very small pieces and throw them into a bowl. If you want to make a sharp-tasting dressing, try adding one or more teaspoons of apple cider vinegar, half teaspoon of flaxseed oil, a few drops of maple syrup, a squirt of mustard, a sprinkling of black pepper and some mint.

      Note: Winged beans (kacang botor) are those four-angle, ragged-edged beans. If you want to contrast the sharpness of the vinegar, use genuine maple syrup, not the maple-flavoured syrup stuff. Before you buy ready-made mustard, look at the

      ingredients and satisfy yourself about the contents. If fresh mint is not available, use dried mint flakes.

      Talk on Food-Borne Diseases & Cancer

      Dr Clarence Ing, from the Weimar Institute in the U.S. , will be speaking on “Food-Borne Diseases & Cancer” on Mon, 12 Feb, at the LTA Clubhouse, Blk 7, 1 Hampshire Rd (opposite KK Hospital). Registration begins at 7pm and the event is from 7.30-9.30pm.

      Dr Ing used to work here in Singapore , and he and his wife May, a nutritionist, frequently return to share their expertise. They advocate vegan diets and brought up their children that way. For more information and to purchase tickets: sms 9424.4500 or email gileadhealthhub@...

      Juicers, Blenders and Dehydrators

      Confused about what machines to buy to make veg food preparation easier? A VSS member has kindly compiled some advice for those who want to upgrade their kitchens and are not sure what to buy. You can read the advice on the Recipes page on the VSS web: http://www.vegetarian-society.org

      Bak Kwa

      Readers recommend the veg Bak Kwa at the following outlets:

      1. Suxiangzhi: contact Susan/Mei Lan – 6281.3133.

      2. Ming Xin Trading

      No. 4 Jalan Gelenggang , Singapore 578188

      Tel:    6552.5955

      Fax:    6759 6707

      Emai: mingxin@...

      http://www.mingxintrading.com

      In the Neighbourhood – The Philippines and Brunei

      This is an occasional feature about veg outlets elsewhere in SE Asia .

      1. Bliss Café is a lacto-vegetarian cafe in Baguio City , Philippines :   www.blissnbaguio.com

      2. A Singaporean living in Brunei sent the following information:

      "Metoo Vegetarian" is located at No.1 Block A Kompleks Mubhibbah, Kg Menglait, Jalan Gadong. BE3919, Negara Brunei Darussalam. Tel/Fax: 673-2451.3864. They serve favourite Singapore foods using vegetable and bean based ingredients. No mock "animal" dish is listed on their menu. They do not use egg, the 5 pungent roots or MSG in their cooking. The favourite Singapore foods include: laksa, lohmee, mushroom tea (mrt), hokkien mee, mee mama, tahu goreng, rojak, fried tanghoon, lohan meehoon, kolomee, homemade curry puffs, carrot cake, mixed vegetable or mushroom  dumplings and pao.

      Metoo Vegetarian also offers: a)  $2.50 lunch/dinner "Econ meal" consists of rice, soup & 3 dishes; b) Daily Set Meal for 3 pax from as low as $12.00 per set; and (3) on every 1st and 15th of lunar month, a comprehensive  "eat & pay as you wish"  buffet spread is available to encourage more people to take vegetarian. The "eat & pay as you wish" day attracts more than 600 people to the outlet.

      Prof Campbell Tells Dr John McDougal’s Story (Instalment 3)

      One of the best-known advocates of whole-food plant-based diets is Dr John McDougall. Here, from pages 329-338 of the book “The China Study”, is Prof Campbell’s telling how Dr McDougall made the switch: Instalment 3). In this instalment, we learn that most Western-trained health professionals reacted negatively to Dr McDougall’s discoveries about the benefits of plant-based diets.

      In this environment [the hospital where McDougall was doing his residency] diet was considered quackery. John would ask, “Doesn’t diet have something to do with heart disease?” and his colleagues would tell him that the science was controversial. John continued to read the scientific research and to talk to his colleagues and only became even more baffled. “When I looked at the literature, I couldn’t find the controversy. I was absolutely clear what the literature said.”

      Through those years, John came to understand why so many physicians claimed diet was controversial: “The scientist is sitting down at the breakfast table and in the one hand he has a paper that says that cholesterol will rot your arteries and kill you, and in the other hand he has a fork shovelling bacon and eggs into his mouth, and he says, ‘There’s something confusing here. I’m confused.’ And that’s the controversy. That’s all it is.”

      Tune in next issue to find out what happened when Dr McDougall advised a 38-year-old patient to prevent a third heart attack by changing his diet.