VSS eNewsletter 25 January 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2007

      Apologies for the fact that the hyperlinks haven’t been working recently. Seems it was caused for a virus scan programme. We hope things work this issue.

      VSS eNewsletter 25 Jan 2007

      Where Next for VSS Exhibition

      Check Out VSS Forum

      AGM in March

      Recipes from the Radio

      For This Year’s Reunion Dinner

      Other News

      Nature’s Organic Diet and Waldorf Education Workshop – This Saturday

      Quick Breakfasts

      Health Talk, Cooking Demo and Dinner – Sun 28 Jan

      Global Warming – Even Worse Than Thought

      Thunder Tea Rice

      Veg Recipes Sought

      Green Sense @ Thomson Under New Management

      Prof Campbell Tells Dr John McDougal’s Story

      VSS News

      Where Next for VSS Exhibition

      The VSS exhibition closed Sun, 21 Jan after two weeks at Woodlands Regional Library. We had a great location on Level 1, allowing many people to see the bilingual exhibition panels, view the hunger sculpture and bleeding chicken poster, watch videos, take flyers, VCDs and stickers, and sign up to receive the free eNewsletter that you are reading now.

      If you have contacts at schools, libraries, workplaces, etc. that might like to be the next venue for this exhibition, pls write to info@...

      Check Out VSS Forum

      This eNewsletter is a bit of an old-fashioned form of communication. For a more modern, interactive form of communication about vegetarianism, pls visit the VSS Forum. Just go to the VSS web – http://www.vegetarian-society.org - and look for VSS Forum in the left frame.

      AGM in March

      VSS holds its AGM every March. We haven’t chosen the date yet, but this year’s AGM includes election of officers who serve for a two-year term. Anyone interested in becoming an officer? The AGM is an excellent opportunity to meet the VSS Exco and other members and to give your input about VSS activities. Pls stay tuned for the date and venue of the AGM.

      Recipes from the Radio

      Recently, a VSS member teamed with Radio 95.8 DJ Wong Lee Jeng to present three exciting raw food veg recipes: Creme of Popeye, Raw Marinara Pasta, Pumpkin Pudding. In case you missed the radio show, you can find those recipes online at http://www.vegetarian-society.org/revamp/html/index.php?module=Static_Docs&func=view&f=Recipes.htm

      For This Year’s Reunion Dinner

      The Health Monthly section of this Monday's (22 Jan), Lian He Wan Bao featured a brown rice recipe (Herbal Brown Rice with Sweet Corn) from VSS. This brown rice dish is easy to make, on top of its unique taste and good nutrition. The dish has an auspicious Chinese name, making it ideal for the Chinese New Year Reunion Dinner!

      Other News

      Nature’s Organic Diet and Waldorf Education Workshop – This Saturday

      Kampung Senang is offering at 1.5 day workshop that will be of special interest to people with young children. It begins this Sat morning, 27 Jan, 9.15am, with a workshop on raising healthy organic children. After a delicious organic veg lunch, you’ll learn about the Waldorf Education method, famous the world over. Btw: Kampung Senang has a Waldorf preschool, serving organic veg food. The Waldorf Workshop concludes with lunch on Sunday.

      Contact Kampung Senang for details: KS Holistic Lifestyle Centre, Blk 106, Aljunied Crescent , #01-205, 6742.6627, email@...

      Quick Breakfasts

      In the last VSS eNewsletter, our ‘no recipe’ member referred to slow, take-your-time food preparation when he makes up his nasi goreng. However, there are times when a quick meal is necessary, especially at breakfast. Here is his formula for a warm

      bowl of instant goodness (ingredients available at supermarkets or health food shops):

      Oatmeal (Quaker Instant is fine)                        2 tablespoons

      Wheatgerm                                                    ½ spoon

      Soya Milk Powder (Biogreen)                              ½ spoon

      Brown Rice Powder (Zenxin)                              ½ spoon

      Flaxseed Meal (you can also grind your own)        ½ spoon

      Mix the powder, add hot water and stir. Then, add molasses to taste. He enjoys this formula so much that he pre-mixes it for when he travels. Feel free to create your own variations, such as by adding fruit, nuts or seeds.

      We know there are many good recipes for quick breakfast meals, so let’s have them and share them around. Join us for breakfast!

      Health Talk, Cooking Demo and Dinner – Sun 28 Jan

      Genesis Health Food Restaurant presents another of its great sessions, combining a health talk, a cooking demo and, last but not least, a tasty dinner. Here are the details:

      1. Health Talk: What’s Fishy About Fish?

      by Diana David, R.D., M.P.H. (dietician with Masters in Public Health Nutrition)

      2. Cooking Demonstration:

      a. Yu Shang

      b. Ngoh Hiang

      c. Jade Rice

      3. Dinner

      Date/Time:    Sun, 28 Jan (4pm-6pm)

      Place:           Genesis Health Food Restaurant (1 Lorong Telok). 6438.7118

      Fee:             $40 (pre-registration & payment required)

      Genesis also has on offer cookies without any eggs, milk, butter or other animal products and without margarine or vegetable shortening.

      Global Warming – Even Worse Than Thought

      Here’s an article from The Guardian about a soon-to-released report suggesting that Global Warming may be happening faster with even worse effects that previously thought:

      http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1995348,00.html

      Thunder Tea Rice

      A reader wrote in about last issue’s mention of Thunder Tea Rice (Lui Char Fan). A pure vegetarian version is available at Sophia Teh’s restaurant, New Green Pasture, on the 4th floor, Fortune Centre. Other than Vivo City , Thunder Tea Rice can also be found at Amoy Street Food Centre and China Square . Vegetarians should note -- the ingredients normally include crushed ikan bilis and dried shrimp.

      Veg Recipes Sought

      VSS received the following request. We pass it on for your consideration.

      My name is Brian. I have a group of recipe sites viz., http://www.MexicanRecipeBook.com, http://www.IndianRecipeBook.com,

      http://www.AllVegRecipes.com and http://www.VegRecipeBook.com

      Currently I am looking for quality recipes for my sites from groups/individuals with interest in cooking and recipes. I would like to invite you and your group members to submit recipes on my sites (especially the AllVegRecipes.com and the VegRecipeBook.com sites).

      Please note that all my recipe sites are free for everyone. Submitting recipes is very simple. Simply click on the submit recipe link and the form is very simple. No need for any registration.

      Sincerely, Brian

      http://www.VegRecipeBook.com

      Green Sense @ Thomson Under New Management

      Some people may have heard that Green Sense @ Thomson closed recently. Fortunately, it is now open with new management, and in a Japanese style.

      Prof Campbell Tells Dr John McDougal’s Story

      One of the best-known advocates of whole-food, plant-based diets is Dr John McDougall. Here, from pages 329-338 of the book “The China Study”, is Prof Campbell’s telling of how Dr McDougall made the switch.

      [John McDougall’s] nutrition and health knowledge is phenomenal, greater than any other doctor I’ve met and greater than any of my nutrition colleagues in academia. … Growing up, John ate a rich, Western diet. … It caught up to him, and at the age of eighteen, a few months into college, John had a stroke. After recovering with a new appreciation for life, he became a straight A student as an undergraduate and then completed medical school. ...

                It was there [ Hawai’i , USA ] that John became an unhappy doctor. Many of his patients’ health problems were a result of chronic illnesses, such as obesity, diabetes, cancer, heart disease and arthritis. John would treat them as he was taught with the standard sets of pills and procedures, but very few of them became healthy. Their chronic diseases didn’t go away, and John quickly realized that he had severe limitations as a doctor.

      He also started to learn something else from his patients: the first and second generation Americans [recently arrived] from Asia, the ones who ate more traditional Asian staple diets of rice and vegetables, were trim, fit and not afflicted with the chronic diseases that plagued John’s other patients. The third and fourth generation Asian Americans, however, had fully adopted America ’s eating habits and suffered from obesity, diabetes and the whole host of other chronic diseases. It was from these people that John began to notice how important diet was for health.

      Tune in next issue to see what action Dr McDougall took based on his new-found understanding of the importance of diet.