VSS eNewsletter 18 December 2006

  • george jacobs
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2006

      VSS eNewsletter 18 Dec 2006

      Once again, VSS has put together a Season’s Greetings card. This year’s card is a PowerPoint file with a Global Warming theme. The file is about 800KB and can be found at http://www.ivu.org/news/online/newyear07.pps

      Please consider sending the card to those on your Season’s Greetings lists, as a way to send a meaningful message, one that shows your concern for the recipient and for the world we all share with present and future generations.

      There are now 2455 addresses subscribed to the free VSS electronic newsletter, up only 6 from last week’s count. So, we need 45 more to reach our goal of 2500 by 1 Jan. Why not encourage your friends, family members or colleagues to sign up as part of a New Year resolution to eat less or no meat? They can sign up by going to the VSS web – www.vegetarian.org – clicking ‘Mailing List’ near the bottom of the left frame, and then typing their address into the box that says ‘Join VSS emailing list’. If that doesn’t work, drop a line to info@..., and we’ll add the person to the list. Thx.

      See the IQ article below to see why going veg is the smart thing to encourage others to do.

      Chickens are the most-eaten of our fellow land animals, with at least 40 billion eaten by humans every year. Yeow, Education Officer of VSS, helped design the following poster to illustrate their plight. Please have a look at http://www.ivu.org/articles/net/poster.html

      Here is Yeow’s advice on why and how to construct your own version. For help and to share ideas, contact him at yeow@...
      The purpose behind creating the bleeding poster was to add a sense of reality, to give life to the suffering of our fellow animals without coming across as too gory. The poster grabs viewers’ attention to the message... and it works! The "bleeding" works by just a simple siphon. Please see the diagram at http://www.ivu.org/articles/net/poster.html  No electrical pump used.

      Some tips: use red poster colour with a dab of black or brown [food dyes would be too transparent]. 2 little "sakura" bottles of poster colours were mixed with 4 litres of water.  The poster should be mounted on compact styrofoam and laminated to prevent ink from being absorbed by paper. To initiate the siphoning, a syringe was used to fill about ½ a metre of plastic tubing with water from below, after unplugging the needle.

      Any ideas for other visuals to illustrate veg issues?

      Other News
      Vegetarian Nutrition is a group within the American Dietetic Association. They have a website and a monthly newsletter: http://www.vegetariannutrition.net/index.htm
      Some of the information is available only to group members, but quite a bit is available to anyone.

      We’ve mentioned Scott Jurek, the vegan ultramarathon champion, before. Among his accomplishments: Runner's World Hero of 2005; UltraRunning Magazine's Ultrarunner of the Year 2003, 2004, 2005. Here’s an excerpt from Scott’s website: http://www.scottjurek.com/bio.php

      On his own journey towards optimal health, Scott began transitioning to a vegetarian whole foods diet in 1997, while competing in several ultra trail races per year. In 1999, he adopted a vegan diet out of further health and environmental concerns. Scott continues to fuel his body on a completely vegan diet while competing in 10-12 ultramarathons per year in addition to his rigorous training schedule. All seven of his consecutive wins at the Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run were performed on vegan fuel.

      VSS had an email the other day from a young SMU graduate, Stanley Tey, who, after a personal health scare, decided to launch a company to promote healthy food. So, he teamed up with people from S’pore Poly’s Food Science dept to launch a collection of brown rice milks. The flavours include Almond, Bandong, Chocolate and Mocha.

      The rice milk has gained in-principle approval from HPB to be listed as a Healthier Choice. Furthermore, it is prebiotic, meaning it helps to stimulate the growth of good bacteria in the colon and, hence, can create a healthy microflora environment in the colon which may reduce colon problems. The drink is sold at Stanley ’s NatuRiz shop located at Great World City Mall, B1 at Cold Storage, beside the Guardian Pharmacy. Hours: 10am-10pm daily. For more info, call Stanley at 9817.6974.

      That’s right – a vaccine to stop burping! Why? Because, as you’ve read here before, some of our fellow animals whom we raise for food emit large amounts of methane, a greenhouse gas 20+ times more powerful than carbon dioxide.

      Of course, instead of reducing burps, a healthier, faster, tastier, more compassionate solution would be for humans to stop eating foods that come at the expense of our fellow animals.

      Recently, we reported the relocation of a veg outlet at Beauty World Centre. We’re happy to report that a new veg outlet, with a very apt name has just opened there:
      Green On Earth Café. This outlet is supported by the palate-pleasing folks at Yogi Hub. Here are the details.

      Address:        144 Upper Bukit Timah Road, #04-03 , Beauty World Centre
      Tel:              6468.4748
      Email:           greenonearth@...
      Hours:           Mon-Fri, 11am-9pm; Sat-Sun, 8am-9pm

      The finer details would be:

      - catering services
      - no MSG added
      - no onion, garlic (only a few of the cakes have eggs)
      - eggless cakes available.

      A study involving over 8000 people, published in the British Medical Journal, found that children with higher IQs were more likely to become vegetarians later in life, a study says. The study’s lead researcher, Catherine Gale, stated:

      "The finding that children with greater intelligence are more likely to report being vegetarian as adults, together with the evidence on the potential benefits of a vegetarian diet on heart health, may help to explain why higher IQ in childhood or adolescence is linked with a reduced risk of coronary heart disease in adult life."

      In the previous VSS eNewsletter, Prof Colin Campbell, author of The China Study, suggested people try going veg for a month. Here is what he says people will discover over their month on plant food (from p. 245).

      1.                  There are some great foods you can eat in a plant-based diet that you otherwise may never have discovered. You may not be eating everything you want (desire for meat may last longer than a month), but you will be eating lots of great, delicious foods.
      2.                  It’s not all that bad. Some people take to this diet quite quickly and love it. Many take months to fully adjust to it. But almost everyone will find that it’s a lot easier than they thought.
      3.                  You’ll feel better. Even after only a month, most people will feel better and likely lose some weight, too. Try having your blood work done both before and after. Odds are, you’ll see significant improvement in even that period of time.
      4.                  Most importantly, you’ll discover that it’s possible. You may love the diet, or you may not, but at the very least you’ll come away from your one-month trial knowing that it’s possible. You can do it, if you choose to. All the health benefits discussed in this book are not just for Tibetan monks and fanatical Spartans. You can have them too. It’s your choice.

      Next issue, Prof Campbell discusses five challenges of transitioning to veg.