VSS eNewsletter 4 December 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2006

      VSS eNewsletter 4 Dec 2006

      Just 75 More to Reach 2500

      Last Chance for Opera Tickets

      VSS Participates in Labrador Park Event, Sat, 9 Dec

      Yoga @ ECP, Sun, 10 Dec

      Other News

      Brownie Factory at Xmas Fair at OUB Centre

      Prof Colin Campbell on Changing Tastes in Food

      Ark Café No Longer Fully Veg

      UN Report on Global Warming

      The Obvious Becomes More Obvious, and More People Act on the Obvious

      New Year E-Cards from Physicians for Social Responsibility

      Meatrix 2.5 Reloaded

      Cartoon

      VSS News

      Just 75 More to Reach 2500

      There are now 2425 addresses subscribed to the free VSS electronic newsletter. We only need 75 more to reach our goal of 2500 by 1 Jan. Why not encourage your friends, family members or colleagues to sign up as part of a New Year resolution to eat less or no meat? They can sign up by going to the VSS web – www.vegetarian.org – clicking ‘Mailing List’ near the bottom of the left frame, and then typing their address into the box that says ‘Join VSS emailing list’. If that doesn’t work, drop a line to info@..., and we’ll add the person to the list. Thx.

      Last Chance for Opera Tickets

      This Wed is the deadline for buying opera tickets to support VSS and to enjoy a unique cultural experience at a world class venue. Otherwise, we will be returning the unsold tickets. 100% of your purchase goes to VSS, a registered charity.

      Here are the details on the operas:

      Dec 22 – Fri – 8pm – Esplanade Theatre – Dream of the Red Mansions

      Dec 23 – Sat – 8pm – Esplanade Theatre - The Meilong Inn

      For more information about the shows (but not the tix): 6842-7266 or visit the Tang Renaissance web: http://www.tang-renaissance.com

      Ticket prices range from $88-$168, but VSS will be selling its 60 tickets for $68, although donations in excess of $68 are most welcome. VSS keeps 100% of the price you pay for the ticket. For tix, email info@... or call 9389-8360. You may also wish to buy tickets from Kampung Senang.

      Please support VSS’s vital educational efforts.

      VSS Participates in Labrador Park Event, 9 Dec

      NParks is organizing a Xmas Fiesta Bazaar at Labrador Park Nature Reserve (Seafront Promenade near Carpark B), on Sat, 9 Dec, 5.00pm - 9.00pm. VSS will be participating. Below are excerpts from the NParks blurb. More info at http://www.eventshub.sg/Default.aspx?CalID=2&CatL1ID=10&CatL2ID=76

      Looking for some unique gifts? At the mini bazaar you will be able to find unusual items like organic clothes and crafts, handmade jewellery with semi precious stones, ladies accessories, plants, books, homeware, decorations and much more. Join tours to the secret Labrador Tunnels and Fort Batu Berlayar - open to the public for just 1 day (Proceeds from the tour will benefit Club Rainbow). Gain some insights at our gardening/craft workshop or simply unwind at performances by our local buskers.

      Families can also look forward to an interACTive performance (presented by ACT 3 International) titled "How the first letter came to be".  The story is about a young girl who goes on a hunting trip and meets a myriad of characters along the way. Having to send messages back to her village (the alphabet had not been invented yet) she begins to draw. Along the way, the messages get misinterpreted and lost in translation! The story will encourage participation from the audience to help the characters out of their dilemmas. They will also input on how the story can end and the performers will improvise on the spot to perform the story's conclusion.

      Plus, there will be hourly lucky draws. The first 150 visitors with a bus service Parks 408 (from Harbourfront Interchange) ticket stub will be entitled to a goody bag.

      For more info: Eugene Tan § Head - Recreation § National Parks Board § Tel: +65 6465.3370.

      Yoga @ ECP, Sun, 10 Dec

      In honour of World Animal Rights Day, one of VSS’ favourite yoga teachers, Bala, will be leading anyone interested in yoga from 8am-12noon at East Coast Beach near Big Splash (take the underpass behind Parkway Parade). For doing yoga, you might like to bring a poncho or a straw mat. Either way, be sure to bring your smile J. For details: smilingyogi@... or 9046-4179.

      Other News

      Brownie Factory at Xmas Fair at OUB Centre

      From 1-23 Dec, the Brownie Factory will set up at the Xmas Fair at OUB Centre, Raffles Place . The Brownie Factory has cooperated with VSS on many events including this year’s WOMAD Festival. Their shop in the basement food court of Takashimaya includes a variety of brownies for chocoholics of various tastes.

      Prof Colin Campbell on Changing Tastes in Food

      The VSS eNewsletter is running excerpts from the book ‘The China Study’ by Professor Colin Campbell. Prof Campbell was born in the U.S. in 1934.

      Personally, since coming upon these findings [the findings on the diet-disease link, as described in The China Study], my family and I have managed to change our diets substantially. I know what it's like to eat meat. I was raised on a dairy farm and I milked cows from the time I was 5 until I was 21. When I went away to school, I eventually got my Ph.D. in animal nutrition at Cornell [ Cornell University is one of the Ivy League universities], where I worked on a project to produce animal protein more efficiently. So both my personal life and my professional life were entirely on the other end of the research findings that we've been getting.

      We started changing our diet when our children came along, and we have been changing ever since. In the short run, people who are accustomed to a high-salt, high-fat diet are not going to like healthier foods at first. But if you have a little patience, you will find that after two or three months, perhaps longer, you will pick up new tastes. Tastes do change. You will then discover that you are happier and more fit than ever before.

      Ark Café No Longer Fully Veg

      A reader wrote that The Ark Café in the SAFRA Town Club at 29 Carpenter St is no longer fully veg.

      UN Report on Global Warming

      Just (29 Nov) out is a UN report linking cattle to global warming and other env damage: http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=20772&Cr=global&Cr1=environ. For instance, the report states that 33% of global arable land is devoted to growing plant food for livestock. However, it seems that when it comes to remedies, the reports authors don’t mention eating less or no meat.

      The Obvious Becomes More Obvious, and More People Act on the Obvious

      For years, humans have attempted to differentiate ourselves from our fellow animals, but as the Miami Herald (USA) newspaper reports, http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/opinion/15975425.htm, one by one, these bases for human superiority, such as tool use, have crumbled in the face of evidence. Indeed, anyone who has had the good fortune to spend time around our fellow animals, knows that they are intelligent, feeling beings.

      Now, more people are insisting that our fellow animals be protected. The most recent example comes from the Netherlands , where the Party for Animals won two seats in the Nov 06 parliamentary elections: http://asia.fullcoverage.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061123/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_dutch_election_animals. For a bit of background on the party: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/11/19/europe/EU_POL_Netherlands_Animals_Party.php.

      New Year E-Cards from Physicians for Social Responsibility

      Physicians for Social Responsibility, an organization that promotes vegetarianism, is offering 7 free e-cards to send to friends ahead of 2007: http://support.pcrm.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pcrm_holiday_ecards&autologin=true&AddInterest=1981&JServSessionIdr011=d3sc1185t2.app6b

      Meatrix 2.5 Reloaded

      One reader reported having trouble opening The Meatrix 2.5 until he went to the following address: http://www.moremeatrix.com The Meatrix is a series of animated satires of the meat industry based on The Matrix films.

      Cartoon

      Dan Piraro is the U.S.-based author of the Bizarro cartoons, which sometimes have pro-veg themes. Here’s a recent example, which refers to the U.S. Thanksgiving Day holiday (the 4th Thu of Nov), in which people traditionally eat turkeys: http://www.veganoutreach.org/enewsletter/images/Bizarro.gif.