VSS eNewsletter 27 November 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2006

      VSS eNewsletter 27 Nov 2006

      Another Volunteer Opportunity

      Bringing in a Noted Speaker

      Even If You’re Not an Opera Fan, …

      Veggiedemic Starts at IVU World Vegetarian Congress in Goa

      What To Do If You Stop Receiving This Newsletter

      Other News

      Cakes and Cookies for Everyone

      Meatrix 2.5

      New Address for Bodhi Vegetarian Restaurant

      Veg Trip to East Malaysia

      VSS News

      Another Volunteer Opportunity

      Help is need with transport. VSS often does road shows. For example, on 18-19 Nov, we were at Fort Canning , this week we’re at the Southeast Asia Geography conference, in early December we’re at a school, and we have a month-long exhibition running at a yoga centre.

      We have a full set of exhibition panels, a sculpture, a tv, a projector system, and our flyers, VCDs and stickers. That’s a lot to carry, but it can fit in a large car or a van. If you’ve got a vehicle that size or bigger, please contact the VSS Education Officer, Yeow: yeow@.... And, even if your only vehicle key is your EZ Link card, you can still help with setting up the exhibitions, as the display panels especially are a bit of a challenge.

      Bringing in a Noted Speaker

      Have you heard of or read the book "The China Study": http://www.thechinastudy.com? It is based partly on a huge study done in China of the link between diet and health. The study was a collaboration between China ’s Ministry of Health, Oxford University and Cornell University . The book also brings in a wide variety of other research to support the adoption of veg diets. The book is on sale in Singapore , and the Chinese version is due out soon.

      The book’s main author, Professor Colin Campbell, has expressed interest in speaking in Singapore . Prof Campbell has a distinguished career as a researcher in cancer and other areas. His fee for two 1.5 hour talks is US$6000, not including transport from the U.S. and accommodation. That leads us to the next item in this newsletter.

      Even If You’re Not an Opera Fan, …

      Not everyone likes hip-hop, not everyone likes opera, but all the readers of this newsletter like vegetarianism. So, please support VSS by buying a ticket to one of the two opera performances in the next-to-last week of Dec. What some people have done is to purchase tickets but not taken the tickets, allowing an opera fan to go in their place.

      Here are the details on the operas:

      Dec 22 – Fri – 8pm – Esplanade Theatre – Dream of the Red Mansions

      Dec 23 – Sat – 8pm – Esplanade Theatre - The Meilong Inn

      For more information about the shows (but not the tix): 6842-7266 or visit the Tang Renaissance web: http://www.tang-renaissance.com

      Ticket prices via Sistec range from $88-$168, but VSS will be selling its 60 tickets for $68, although donations in excess of $68 are most welcome. VSS keeps 100% of the price you pay for the ticket. For tix, email info@... or call 9389-8360. You may also wish to buy tickets from Kampung Senang.

      Please support VSS’s vital educational efforts.

      Veggiedemic Starts at IVU World Vegetarian Congress in Goa

      One person from Hong Kong who attended the IVU World Vegetarian Congress this past Sep in Goa , India was so switched on by the experience that he decided to start his own blog, with the great name of Veggiedemic: http://veggiedemic.blogspot.com

      Here’s how he explains it:

      Where previously I kept a low profile about my food choice, I have now become more open in discussing vegetarianism with my family and friends. Another thing I have done, in consultation with two other conference participants (we didn’t know each other before the Congress but traveled together afterwards and have become good friends) is to create a blog which I hope will get people to share ideas and experiences about promoting vegetarianism.

      What To Do If You Stop Receiving This Newsletter

      Point being: if more than two weeks pass without you receiving your regular dose of the VSS eNewsletter, just write to info@... and we’ll try to fix things. Also, please keep us updated if you change your email address or seldom open mail for a particular address. As a last resort, you can read back issues of the newsletter by going to the VSS homepage – www.vegetarian-society.org – and scrolling down the left frame until you see ‘Newsletter’. Sorry for the bother.

      Other News

      Cakes and Cookies for Everyone

      The Conscious Choice offers a wide variety of cakes and cookies for people whose tastes are a bit outside the mainstream (hopefully, the main stream will soon flow in a different direction). They bake gluten-free, wheat-free, and vegan cakes and cookies. But, The Conscious Choice is not a shop. Instead, their products can be purchased at Whatever Café, 20, 29A & 31 Keong Saik Road, see http://www.whatever.com.sg/cafe.php?q=1 for a list of desserts) or in the bake shop in the basement of Tanglin Mall. You can special order or arrange for delivery (an extra $10) by contacting Sabreena at 6735.4880, 98167974, or info@....

      Meatrix 2.5

      The Meatrix is an animated satire of the meat industry based on the Matrix films. The latest version, Meatrix 2.5 is just out: http://moremeatrix.com.

      New Address for Bodhi Vegetarian Restaurant
      Bodhi Vegetarian Restaurant has moved from Beauty World Center . They want all their customers to know that they are now at 530 Upper Serangoon Road , 6283.9673.

      Veg Trip to East Malaysia

      Dec 12-14 (3D/2N) are the dates for a trip to the Borneo Highlands Resort – www.borneohighlands.com.my - at Kuching, Sarawak , organized by Home Health Education Service. The trip includes organic veg meals, health talks, a massage, and nature hikes. The cost is RM740 twin sharing, excluding airfare on Air Asia. For details, contact Mark Chan at markchan@..., sheewai@..., or 9743.8362.