VSS eNewsletter 20 November 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2006

      VSS eNewsletter 20 Nov 2006

      Story Behind the Shanghai Yue Opera House Charity Event

      VSS Exhibition and Talk at Southeast Asia Geography Conference

      Volunteer Opportunities

      Other News

      Must Reading for Anyone Planning a Pregnancy

      Other Animals Want Fairness Says Wall Street Journal

      Another Place on the Web for Veg Food Listings

      Vegetarian Movie Star – Joaquin Phoenix

      Free Email Consulting for Chefs and Other Food Professionals

      Coming Attractions – Must See Movies

      Talks by Dr Clarence Ing and Mrs May Ing, Plus Health Screening

      Workshop on Zen Vegetarian Cooking

      VSS News

      Story Behind the Shanghai Yue Opera House Charity Event

      Tang Renaissance Communicators - http://www.tang-renaissance.com - is bringing the world-renowned Shanghai Yue Opera House, which includes 100 master performers, to Singapore for two concerts at the Esplanade Theatre in Dec, and they have generously given tickets to charities such as VSS. Subtitles are provided in Chinese and English. Here are the details on the operas:

      Dec 22 – Fri – 8pm – Esplanade Theatre – Dream of the Red Mansions

      Dec 23 – Sat – 8pm – Esplanade Theatre - The Meilong Inn

      For more information about the shows (but not the tix): 6842-7266 or visit the Tang Renaissance web: http://www.tang-renaissance.com

      Ticket prices range from $88-$168, but VSS will be selling its 60 tickets for $68, although donations in excess of $68 are most welcome. VSS keeps 100% of the price you pay for the ticket. For tix, email info@... or call 9389-8360.

      Please support VSS’s vital educational efforts.

      The person who put all this together is a big fan of Zhejiang Opera and she appears in local performances. Recently, her husband passed away from cancer. Now, she and a group of opera fans are bringing this famous opera troupe to Singapore and have given some tickets to charities related to the fight against cancer. Most of the tickets went to Kampung Senang, which has a cancer support group and promote organic food etc. You may also wish to buy tickets from Kampung Senang.

      VSS Exhibition and Talk at Southeast Asian Geography Conference

      VSS will have an exhibition at the Southeast Asian Geography Association’s 2006 conference to be held at Nanyang Girls’ High School, 27-29 Nov. We will also do a talk on ‘Meat and the Environment’. Details at http://www.hsse.nie.edu.sg/staff/changch/seaga/seaga2006.htm.

      Volunteer Opportunities

      Last issue, we asked for more volunteers. One reader responded by asking what kind of volunteer help is needed. The short answer is: whatever your talents and interests are, there’s almost certainly something for you to do to promote vegetarianism. Below is a longer answer.

      1.      Your own idea. Why wait for someone else to think of an idea? Get things going yourself. Contact our president, George, for feedback on your idea: george@....

      2.      Talks and exhibitions. Look for places where we can give talks and exhibitions where we can participate. Contact our Education Officer, Yeow: yeow@vegetarian-society.org.

      3.      Outings. These are social events for VSS members. They can be outdoors, such as camping, bicycling, hiking or kite-flying, or more relaxed, such as book discussions or visits to art exhibits or movies. Contact our Social Officer, Violet: violet@....

      4.      Fundraising. VSS needs money for its work. Contact our President, George: george@....

      5.      Newsletter. Write for or compile information for our electronic newsletter. Contact our Newsletter Editor, George: george@....

      6.      Newsletter. We need to send highlights from past e-newsletters to people without email. Contact our Honourary Secretary, Nita: nita@....

      7.      VCD distribution and production. Our VCD is a powerful tool. We need to distribute it widely but carefully, to improve it and to produce more. We also have flyers and decals to distribute. Contact our Education Officer, Yeow: yeow@vegetarian-society.org.

      8.      Translation. We need to translate VSS materials into languages other than English. Contact our Education Officer, Yeow. yeow@vegetarian-society.org.

      9.      Design of print materials. We need graphic artists to give our materials a professional, attractive look. Contact our Education Officer, Yeow: yeow@vegetarian-society.org.

      10.  Shopping. Where can people buy certain hard-to-find vegetarian ingredients, such as brewer’s yeast flakes and non-leather shoes? If you’d like to source for them, contact our president, George: george@....

      11.  Photography. Take photos at VSS events. These photos will go in our Annual Report and elsewhere. Contact our Honourary Secretary, Nita: nita@....

      12.  Food outlet liaison. Link VSS with restaurants, hawker stalls, and food stores. This includes not just vegetarian outlets but also non-veg outlets that seek to attract vegetarian customers. Contact our Social Officer, Violet: violet@....

      13.  Membership. Seek regular and corporate members for VSS, and strengthen ties with members. Contact our President, George: george@....

      14.  Listing of Vegetarian Outlets. Our lists of vegetarian outlets – restaurants, stall, stores – always needs updating. Contact our Webmaster, webmaster@... .

      15.  Website. Suggest ways to improve the VSS website. Contact our Webmaster, webmaster@... .

      Other News

      Must Reading for Anyone Planning a Pregnancy

      The November issue of Motherhood magazine, available at newsstands, is important reading for anyone planning a pregnancy. The cover story is titled, “Vegetarian & Expecting: Four mums lead the way to healthy pregnancy.” VSS contributed to the story by helping the author find mums to talk to. The article shows how all the necessary nutrients are readily available on a veg diet.

      The article also recounts the differing stories of four veg mums and how they dealt with well-meaning family and friends who tried to dissuade them from a veg pregnancy and from raising their children on veg diets. For example, one of the mums, Eileen Tan, remembers that:

      Naturally all around me were concerned when I was pregnant. The older generation, in particular, found it hard to accept. Many would tell me that I should eat some meat for the good of the baby. But now that they see my baby is doing fine, they do not comment when I tell them that she will remain a vegetarian.

      November’s Motherhood is at a special price of only $2.50. Our only slight quibble with the excellent article is that in addition to the sufficiency of a well-planned veg diet, actually there are health benefits for baby and mum.

      Other Animals Want Fairness Says Wall Street Journal

      Here’s an article from the Wall Street Journal that describes research with some of our fellow primates. The research suggests that they have a sense of justice and fairness. Let’s try to convince our fellow humans to develop our own species’ sense of justice and fairness towards other animals. http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116311525774919204-s9j6S8FIvDewxKJQOwfD1Z8etEE_20071109.html?mod=rss_free

      Another Place on the Web for Veg Food Listings

      VSS Forum member Winson Seow (wingls@...) has started a site that lists veg food outlets: http://sg.vegetarian-food.net. There’s also the VSS listings under ‘Food Outlets’ on the home page of the VSS web: www.vegetarian-society.org. Help is always needed to keep the listings updated; so, we are grateful to the people who write to info@... to let us know when places open, move or close. Other places on the web for veg food listing are: http://sgvegedaily.eq-network .com/TopPick.html
      http://www.happycow.net/asia /singapore/index.html .

      Finally, if you’d like to take part in VSS’ free online forum, please go to: http://www.vegetarian-society.org/forums. Some people tell us that it’s the best thing about our web.

      Vegetarian Movie Star – Joaquin Phoenix

      Known for his roles in Gladiator and Walk the Line (for a list of his movies: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001618), Joaquin Phoenix is also known as an activist for animals. For example, he narrated the sombre DVD Earthlings. The theme of the DVD is that we and are fellow animals are all inhabitants of the same planet and that maybe we should treat our fellow animals better. VSS has a copy of the DVD. Contact us at info@... to arrange for public showings.

      To learn how a fishing trip at age 3 influenced Joaquin’s move to go veg and to learn why he finds it easier to be veg than it used to be, visit http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1064075.

      Free Email Consulting for Chefs and Other Food Professionals

      The Veg Advantage is a new U.S.-based web that you’ll want to recommend to people you know who prepare food for a living: http://www.vegadvantage.com.

      Here’s part of their blurb, edited slightly.

      Our chefs have helped dozens of restaurants, universities, primary and secondary schools, and businesses incorporate vegetarian selections into their menus and cafeterias—and our consulting services are available to you free of charge. Whether you need menu suggestions, or tips on working with new vegetarian foods, just contact us at Info@...

      Coming Attractions – Must See Movies

      Two movies that all vegetarians will want to see are coming out soon (at least in Hollywood – don’t know yet about S’pore). Charlotte ’s web is a classic tale, an absolute must-read about a spider and a girl who save the life of a pig. This film is a new version with lots of celeb voices, including Julia Roberts, Oprah Winfrey and Robert Redford. The film’s web (pun intended) has games for kids: http://www.charlotteswebmovie.com/site/index.php.

      The other film is Fast Food Nation (http://www.foxsearchlight.com/fastfoodnation), inspired by the book by the same name by Eric Schlosser. The best-selling book traces the history of fast food and its effects not just on diet but also on economics and culture. The film, on the other hand, uses fictional narrative to get across the non-fiction book’s revelations. It released this month in the U.S. to somewhat mixed reviews: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809423122/info.

      Talks by Dr Clarence Ing and Mrs May Ing, Plus Health Screening

      Dr Clarence Ing of the Weimar Institute, California , USA , and Mrs May Ing are long-time vegetarian health professionals who used to work in Singapore and return here regularly to offer their advice. This year, Dr Ing will be giving a free talk on Fri, 24 Nov, 7pm-9.30pm at Bethel Hall @ St Hilda’s Centre, Level 2, 41 Ceylon Road , 6449.3233, eleverage@.... At 5pm the same day, Dr Ing will be available for health screenings on a first-come-first-served basis. For info, contact Irene at 9658.3133.

      Workshop on Zen Vegetarian Cooking

      Danny Chu will be conducting workshops on Japanese Shojin Ryori Zen Vegetarian food on Thu, 23 Nov and Sun, 25 Nov, 11am-2pm (both days) at Palate Sensations Cooking School, 1 Whitchurch Road, #03-05. Contact: 6479.9025, info@....