VSS eNewsletter 4 October 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2006

      VSS eNewsletter 4 Oct 2006

      Official Opening of Kampung Senang’s Holistic Lifestyle Centre

      Tom Low Does His Show for VSS Oct Wellness Seminar

      An Inconvenient Truth Comes to Singapore

      Online Letter Published in ST Forum

      Other News

      Website on Veg Nutrition

      Happy Belated ‘Hug a Vegetarian Day’

      Open Source Veg Guide

      VSS News

      Official Opening of Kampung Senang’s Holistic Lifestyle Centre

      VSS will be taking part in the official opening of Kampung Senang’s (www.kg-senang.org.sg) Holistic Lifestyle Centre on Sat, 7 Oct, from 10.30am-7.30pm. Guest of Honour will be Mr Matthias Yao, Mayor, South East District and MP for MacPherson SMC. Events include a Food/Fun Fair, tour of a herb farm, Lantern Festival Celebration and organic food tasting. The new KS Centre is located at Blk 106 Aljunied Crescent, just 5 mins from Aljunied MRT. For more info: 6749.8509.

      Tom Low Does His Show for VSS Oct Wellness Seminar

      Tom Low is an inspiring, entertaining, well-informed presenter on health matters. Tom has kindly agreed to lead Oct’s VSS Wellness Seminar, to be held on Sat, 28 Oct, from 1pm, at Kampung Senang Holistic Lifestyle Centre, Block 106, Aljunied Crescent, #01-00 (5mins walk from Aljunied MRT, tel: 67498509).

      Title: “Eat, Drink & Sing Your Age Away” (English and Mandarin)

      Time: 1pm ~ 4pm [Talk 1pm ~ 2.15pm; Food demo 2.30pm ~ 4pm]

      Fee: $12 (with Food Demo) or $5 (without food demo)

      Tom Low, the author of "Your Kitchen Is Your Pharmacy", will share his experience in maintaining good health as he steps into his golden age (late 60s). Tom will also demonstrate Karaoke singing as an exercise that can alleviate stress, improve breathing function and boost the immune system to delay aging and fight disease. Following the food demo, Kampung Senang will also educate participants on healthy food/beverage preparation.

      To register: kee_yew@vegetarian- society.org or Kampung Senang @ 6749.8509

      Book early to reserve your place.

      An Inconvenient Truth Comes to Singapore

      VSS plans to buy a block of 50 tickets for the documentary An Inconvenient Truth. The film, about the dangers of global warming, was a hit at the US box office, and is coming to Singapore near the end of this month. It will be at Golden Village cinemas.

      Stay tuned to find out the time and place that VSS has tickets for, and how to buy tickets. Most likely is will be 7.30pm, Thu, 26 Oct, at GV at Plaza Sing. Tickets will cost $8.

      Online Letter Published in ST Forum

      On 26 Sep, the Online Letters section of the ST Forum published the following letter from a VSS Exco member.

      Denying links with animals allows us to treat them like mere objects

      I REFER to the column, 'Irwin's 'final lesson' was his most valuable' by Ong Soh Chin (ST, Sept 16). A key point of the column seems to be that we humans are very different from our fellow animals.

      Yes, I agree we do differ from other animals, but just as it is wrong to engage in anthropomorphism and overemphasise our similarities to other members of the animal kingdom, so too is it wrong to be in 'anthropodenial', a term used by Professor Frans de Waal, director of the Living Links Center at the Yerkes National Primate Centre of Emory University in Atlanta in the United States.

      Anthropodenial refuses to acknowledge the many similarities between other animals and ourselves. This is despite growing research evidence that other animals have a range of mental abilities, possess distinct personalities and experience an assortment of emotions.

      Denying our links with other animals allows us to treat them like mere objects we can eat, drive to extinction and submit to anything else that suits our fancy.

      Other News

      Website on Veg Nutrition

      Here’s a website on nutrition put together by Prof Winston J Craig, PhD, MPH, RD; Chair, Nutrition and Wellness Department; Andrews University, Berrien Springs, Michigan, USA. Prof Craig has been a speaker for ADA (American Dietetic Association: http://eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg/ada/hs.xsl/index.html) at four of their annual conventions over the past 8-10 years. He has been a vegetarian for five decades and a vegan for 30 years:

      www.vegetarian-nutrition.info.

      Happy Belated ‘Hug a Vegetarian Day’

      Organizations often invent special days to promote their causes. Here’s a nice one - International ‘Hug a Vegetarian Day’, 29 Sep: http://www.peta2.com/feat/hug/index.asp?c=p2m33. We missed it this year, but every day is a good day for a hug. Even meat eaters need them; maybe they need them even more.

      Open Source Veg Guide

      With the open-source VegGuide.org, anyone can help create a guide to veg eating around the world. The more complete and well-known this site becomes, the easier it will be for people interested in eating veg to explore the world, including their own backyard. http://www.vegguide.org. Last time we checked, Singapore had about 90 listing, the most in Asia , but the VSS guide to local veg eating has many more listings, as you can see if you click the link below.