VSS eNewsletter 28 July 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2006

      VSS eNewsletter 28 July 2006

      Last Days for Discounts during Singapore Meatout Week

      Feedback on the VSS Exhibition at National Library

      More Food Demos at National Library

      JC Essay Contest Winners

      VSS Wellness Seminar for July

      Other News

      Citrus May Fight Arthritis

      New Veg Outlet on Jalan Bukit Merah

      Another Brown Rice Sighting

      Killer Chick Ad

      CSI Star Finds Evidence against Meat

      Veg Cooking Class in Mandarin

      Why We Don’t Need to Eat Fish to Get Omega 3

      All Vegetarian Punjabi Mondays

      Italian Veg in AMK

      Classic Lao Di Fang’s New Outlet

      Not Veg – But Worth a Look

      VSS News

      Last Days for Discounts during Singapore Meatout Week

      More than 20 food outlets are offering discounts during Singapore Meatout Week (22-30 July). For a complete list, visit http://www.singaporemeatout.org/outlets.html. On the same page, be sure to also download and print the Meatout voucher. You will need it to claim your discount at Original Sin, Livalife, Just Green, Yogi Hub, Classic Laodifang, and participating Sakae Sushi outlets. These discounts give us a great excuse to Take a Meat-Eater for a Meal.

      Feedback on the VSS Exhibition at National Library

      The VSS exhibition has been on at the Level 7 Promenade, Lee Kong Chian Reference Library of the National Library on Victoria Street since 15 July, and the final day is this Sun, 30 July. See the next news item for more on this.

      Here’s a bit of feedback from viewers of the exhibition:

      Wow! What you’re doing is cool. This could be an art exhibition! Well, I’ve just pledged for a day. It couldn’t hurt to try, right? Lol!

      Well researched and an eye opener, as to the horrible world of battery chickens. Librarian, Singapore/Australia

      I must admit I was lucky to bump into this exhibition and videos at National Library. Somehow I feel in my soul that we should eat less meat and more plant foods. Human greed for meat all around the world is actually destroying our bodies. I am very sad at the way we KILL all these innocent animals and eat them greedily – this might be the reason why we get so many kinds of diseases. I hope your videos will circulate to schools.

      More Food Demos at National Library

      For Singapore Meatout Week, VSS has organized an exhibition at the Level 7 Promenade, Lee Kong Chian Reference Library of the National Library on Victoria Street . The exhibition’s last day is this Sunday, 30 July. This weekend, 2 food demos will be held there at Level 7:

      Saturday, 29 July, 4pm, Choc Fudge in the Raw
      Chris Turner is back by popular demand. Below are the ingredients.  Come along to enjoy a taste of this treat.

      Raw carob powder
      Almonds, chopped & soaked
      Coconut Oil (raw extra virgin)
      Vanilla bean, powdered
      Sun-dried apricots, soaked

      Sunday, 30 July, 3pm, Super Salad
      Watch as Lily Ko, the brains behind the delicious treats at Yogi Hub restaurant on Madras St , whips up a great tasting salad. BTW, Lily did the salads, etc. for last weekend’s Gala Dinner.

      JC Essay Contest Winners

      The winners of the Singapore Meatout Week 2006 JC Essay Contest will receive their prizes this Sunday after the food demo that is part of the Meatout exhibition at Level 7 Promenade, Lee Kong Chian Reference Library of the National Library on Victoria Street . The essay topic was “Love Us, Not Eat Us: All Lives Are Precious”. Winning essays will be displayed soon at www.singaporemeatout.org.

      VSS Wellness Seminar for July

      The VSS Wellness Seminar for July focuses on chiropractic health treatments. On Sun, 30 Jul, 3pm-4.30pm, Dr Serene Ng (MChiro, UK) will be speaking at the Living Space, 17 Hong Kong St (near Clarke Quay MRT), Tel: 65 340 340.

      Chiropractic is a treatment modality believed to be effective in resolving musculoskeletal complaints. Apart from treating structural and muscular complaints and reducing pain levels, people receiving chiropractic care have reported better sleep, better appetite, and better management of stress levels.

      About Speaker:

      Dr Serene Ng achieved her second degree in chiropractic studies (MChiro) at the Anglo-European College of Chiropractic, Bournemouth . In the past, she provided consultations to numerous nurseries and schools in Bournemouth . As Dr Ng is also a believer in improving one's health through healthy living and natural therapy, she currently provides nutritional support and exercise therapy in conjunction with spinal manipulative therapy to keep her patients in optimum health.

      # Admission fee = $5 per person. Please email kee_yew@... to reserve your seats early.

      Other News

      Citrus May Fight Arthritis

      UK researchers report that Increasing intake of the carotenoid beta-cryptoxanthin, found in citrus fruits, may reduce the risk of developing inflammatory disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis: http://www.labtechnologist.com/news/ng.asp?n=61799-citrus-carotenoid-may.

      New Veg Outlet on Jalan Bukit Merah

      Vegetarian Pureland (Xiang Xiang Xiao Chi) is the name of a new veg restaurant and provisions shop located at Blk 11 Jalan Bukit Merah #03-4460. Nearest MRT: Red Hill. Open 6am-8pm, but closed Sundays. No telephone.

      Among the outlet’s offerings are organic vegetables, natural health products, porridge, soup, organic vegetable tofu salad, chee cheong fun, brown rice set, vegetable and fruit juices, and cut fruits.

      Another Brown Rice Sighting

      A reader who visited MOE HQ, next to Buona Vista MRT happily reports finding a veg stall in the canteen, and even more happily reports that the stall serves brown rice at lunch time. The canteen is at Level 2 of the podium and is open M-F 7am-6pm.

      Killer Chick Ad

      In MRT stations and elsewhere, you have may have seen the Readers Digest ad featuring a big picture of a baby chick with the word “Killer” written across the chick. The ad goes on to discuss the bird flu danger, blaming chickens for the threat of a pandemic. To see the ad and one netizen’s response, visit http://www.moonpointer.com/index.php?itemid=717.

      CSI Star Finds Evidence against Meat

      Jorja Fox, who plays Sara Sidle on the hit TV show CSI is a strong advocate of vegetarianism. Here’s a quote: “[I]f you just cut down [on meat] or tried [vegetarianism], you might find that you love it. And the list of things that you’d be doing positively to affect the planet and the next seven generations that come after you is humongous.”

      Read more at http://www.goveg.com/f-jorjafox.asp.

      Veg Cooking Class in Mandarin

      New Green Pastures Restaurant, 190 Middle Road, #04-22, Fortune Centre, is sponsoring a 4-session veg cooking class in Mandarin beginning 20 Aug for 4 Sundays, from 3-6pm. Learn from cooking guru Mdm Sophia Teh. Here are the details:

      Investment: SGD200 (4 classes, includes dinners)

      To register:  Call 6336 8755 or 9451 2799

      Menu

      20 Aug

      Fragrance Rice in Lotus Leaf

      Sprouty Sushi

      Wakame Delight

      27 Aug

      Slurpy Hor-fun

      Butter Pumpkin

      Bitterguord-in-Black

      3 Sep

      Cabbage Roll con Mushroom

      Vegetarian Chicken Rice

      Cloud-9 Hand-made Noodle

      Prosperous Nori Soup

      10 Sep

      5-Spice Pumpkin Rice

      Beancurd Pillow

      Mr Bean Returns

      Why We Don’t Need to Eat Fish to Get Omega 3

      Here, courtesy of our friends at Meatout in the U.S. , is an article on the benefits of flax, followed by a couple URLs with details. You can buy flax at health food stores and even at supermarkets, such as FairPrice. If you’d like a free subscription to the Meatout Monday eNewsletter, visit: http://www.meatoutmondays.org/signup.php.

      Flax, a grain that has been used for thousands of years in food and linen, is finding new popularity for its numerous health benefits. Studies have suggested its usefulness for a number of ailments, including heart disease, clogged arteries, certain cancers, constipation and Alzheimer’s.

      Flax seeds and oil contain essential Omega-3 fatty acids, which are potent antioxidants that play a vital role in active brain tissues. Since the body does not produce these essential fatty acids on its own, they must be consumed as part of a healthy diet. As a whole grain, flax contains high levels of both soluble and insoluble fibre, which has been recognized by the National Cancer Institute (US) as an essential part of a balanced diet for the prevention of some forms of cancer.

      Some researchers recommend adding a daily dose of flax to your meals. Be sure to eat it milled or ground to allow for proper absorption of nutrients. A spoonful of ground flax can be added to a smoothie or sprinkled on porridge, cereal, salad, or many other dishes.

      Learn more at http://www.clevelandclinic.org/heartcenter/pub/guide/prevention/nutrition/flax1_02.htm, or http://depts.washington.edu/nutrpeds/faq/general/flax.htm.

      All Vegetarian Punjabi Mondays

      Mustard Restaurant (6297.8422) at 32 Race Course Road is starting All Vegetarian Punjabi Mondays. On other days, they offer veg and non-veg.

      Italian Veg in AMK

      Just in time to celebrate Italy ’s World Cup victory, Roma’s Cuisine is now in Ang Mo Kio, offering a range of Italian food: http://www.romascuisine.com. The address is Blk 163 Ave 4 Ang Mo Kio #01-428. Nearest MRT = Ang Mo Kio. Buses = 268, 76, 266; Alight after you see Kebun Bahru CC. Contact: 6554 3403; grace_tan@...; supping@...

      Classic Lao Di Fang’s New Outlet

      Classic Lao Di Fang already has a restaurant at 2 Havelock Road, Apollo Centre, #01-38, open 7 days a week from 10am-10pm and offering a daily buffet, as well as being available for wedding dinners and other special occasions. The nearest MRT is Clarke Quay.

      That’s not news. What’s news is that they now have a food court stall at Fung Lik Food Street at Shaw Towers , 100 Beach Road #01-26/38 Shaw Leisure Gallery. Open every day from 11am-9pm. Nearest MRT is City Hall. The phone numbers for either outlet are 6533.8959 or 6535 2513.

      Not Veg – But Worth a Look

      In countries like the U.S. , non-veg places, such as steak houses, sometimes have excellent salad bars for vegetarians who can put up with the smell of grilled cow. Such places have also been seen in Singapore . A new place, Juiced Rawbars at #B1-08 Republic Plaza, now offers raw salads, without the meat smell. It’s not 100% veg, but the soups are veg. One of the founders used to work at Original Sin and, thus, is sensitive to the needs of vegetarians. Tel: 6535.3230. Hours: M-F 8am-8pm, Sat 10am-2pm.