VSS eNewsletter 17 July 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2006

      VSS eNewsletter 17 July 2006

      www.vegetarian-society.org

      Singapore Meatout Week 2006 News

      Gala Dinner for Singapore Meatout Week

      Meatout on the Radio – Mon, 17 Jul, 11am-12noon, 938Live

      Call in Radio Show about Veg - Fri, 21 Jul, 12.10-12.27, 938Live

      Exhibition at Central Library Opens

      Discounts Galore at Veg Eateries

      One-Day Local Organic Shopping Trip – Sat, 29 July

      Ask a Non-Veg to Sign the Meatout Pledge

      Other News

      Kampung Senang Family Detox Camp

      New Veg Café with Live Music

      Annalakshmi Restaurant Temporarily Closes

      Indian Veg Near Amara Hotel

      Just Before the Meatout Gala Dinner, A Veg Cooking Class  – 22 Jul

      Fasting Camp at the End of Singapore Meatout Week – 29-30 Jul

      How I Became a Vegetarian

      Singapore Meatout Week 2006 News

      Gala Dinner for Singapore Meatout Week

      Tickets are going fast for the Gala Dinner that kicks off Singapore Meatout Week 2006 on 22 July, 7pm-9.30pm, at Greenland Vegetarian Restaurant. Titled, ‘The Art of Healthful Cuisine’, the dinner will showcase the fine art of vegetarian cuisine. There are only 300 seats total.

      Venue: Greenland Vegetarian Restaurant
      * 789 & 791 Upp Serangoon Rd
      * Bus No. 80, 82, 107, 136, 153 from Kovan MRT
      * After Chinese Temple, next to Hillside Drive

      Tickets: $38 – for VSS members; $45 – general public.

      Booking via yywong4@...

      Enquiries: kee_yew@... or 9362.7493 (Mr Wong)

      Meatout on the Radio (938Live) – Mon, 17 Jul, 11am-12noon

      Tune in to hear VSS members and supporters talking about Singapore Meatout Week. And, if the fancy strikes you, pls do call in to 6691.1938 with a question or a word of support. It’s Mon, 17 Jul, 11am-12noon on radio station 938Live, at 93.8 on the FM dial.

      Call in Radio Show about Veg - Fri, 21 Jul, 12.10-12.27, 938Live

      The topic will be: “Would you consider abandoning meat forever and embracing vegetarianism?” The format is a host and callers, with no guests. The number to call is 6691.1938, and the place to listen is at 93,8 on the FM dial.

      Exhibition at Central Library Opens

      The two-week (15-30 July) Singapore Meatout Week exhibition has opened at the Level 7 Promenade, Lee Kong Chian Reference Library of the National Library on Victoria Street . The exhibition can be viewed every day from 10am-9pm. In addition to colourful, informative posters, you can watch a range of videos.

      Discounts Galore at Veg Eateries

      More than 20 outlets are offering Singapore Meatout Week discounts from 22-30 July. For a complete list and to download vouchers, please visit http://www.singaporemeatout.org/outlets.html.

      One-Day Local Organic Shopping Trip – Sat, 29 July
      This is an educational bus tour for beginners who are learning to adopt a healthy lifestyle. The farm visits in the morning will allow participants a chance to break away from the hectic atmosphere of the city, breath in revitalising rural fresh air, and understand the hardship of the farmers raising organic produce for the general well-being of people in Singapore . The afternoon section of the trip includes practical sessions for beginners to learn where and what to buy for healthy home-made vegetarian food preparation. The trip also features visits to two delicious, healthy vegetarian cafeterias/restaurants which will surely provide a lot of cooking ideas and healthy tips for the beginners.

      Price: $50 (public and VSS members) – Not many tickets left

      Booking via yywong4@...

      Enquiries: kee_yew@... or 9362.7493 (Mr Wong)

      Ask a Non-Veg to Sign the Meatout Pledge

      Meatout Week is designed to be a time when meat-eaters give it a try to go without meat for at least a day. One vehicle for promoting this give-it-a-try attitude is the Meatout Pledge. People can sign online or download the pledge to collect signatures. Either way, pls visit: http://www.singaporemeatout.org/pledge.

      Other News

      Kampung Senang Family Detox Camp

      The objective of Kampung Senang’s family detox camp is to enable people to fast with organic fresh vegetable & fruit juice so as to clean and detox the body and mind.

      Date (tentative): 7pm, Fri, 13Oct to 1pm, Tues, 17Oct

      Venue: Civil Service Aloha Loyang Resort, Jalan Loyang Besar

      Fee: $430 for Kampung Senang members /Active Volunteers / Sponsors / Staff / GNFS Members; $480 for others (includes accommodation, basic organic ingredients and supplements used in the detox camp - financial assistance is available for needy cancer patients).

      Closing Date:  20Sep

      The previous detox camp held in Mar 2006 was met with overwhelming response. Please call 6785.2568 for registration and enquiry.

      New Veg Café with Live Music

      The Ark Café offers an exciting new experience for vegetarians, with live music to accompany the wide variety of Local and Western dishes. Unlike other places with live music, cigarette smoke and alcoholic drinks are not part of the ambiance.

      Here are the details:

      Ark Café, 29 Carpenter St, SAFRA Town Club #02-00, near Clarke Quay MRT.
      Tel: 6538 0366; Email: thearkclub@...; Web: http://www.theark.com.sg

      Open: Mon-Sat: 12.30pm-Midnite; Music: Mon-Thu, 7.30pm-10.30pm; Fri, Sat, Holiday Eves 8pm-11pm.

      Annalakshmi Restaurant Temporarily Closes

      Annalakshmi Restaurant at Excelsior Hotel, one of Singapore ’s best-known veg restaurants, has temporarily closed, as their lease expired. They are looking for a new location: http://www.annalakshmi.com.sg. In the meantime, you can experience their food and their “pay as much as you wish” policy at their food court outlets at Biopolis, PUB Building and Lau Pa Sat.

      Indian Veg Near Amara Hotel

      A new Indian veg outlet has opened at the food court in the same building as Amara Hotel. The outlet has the tempting name ‘Veggie Delights.’ Here are the details.

      Address: 165 Tanjong Pagar Road, #04-01, Tanjong Pagar Food Court , next to Amara Hotel, 3 mins walk from Tanjong Pagar MRT

      PIC: Ms Anita, 9781 1393

      Hours: Mon-Fri: 11am-3.30pm

      Just Before the Meatout Gala Dinner, A Veg Cooking Class – 22 Jul

      Sat, 22 Jul, Ananda Marga will be doing a vegetarian cooking, 4pm-6.15pm, just in time to leave for the Singapore Meatout Week’s Gala Dinner. Ananda Marga also participated in Singapore Meatout Week 2005.

      Here are the details on the cooking class.

      Teachers: Dada Udvelananda and Prema

      Place: 21 Jln. Pokok Serunai (off Upper East Coast Rd. , near Bayshore Condos)

      Date: Sat, 22 Jul, 16:00 – 18:15

      Fee: S$ 20.

      Registration: 6344-6519 or 6444-4576

      Highlights: sprouting and natural ice cream

      Fasting Camp at the End of Singapore Meatout Week – 29-30 Jul

      With all the special discounts that outlets are offering during Singapore Meatout Week, a fasting camp might be just what people need. Fortunately, Ananda Marga is organizing one. Here are the details:

      Teachers: Dada Udvelananda and friends

      Place: 21 Jln. Pokok Serunai (off Upper East Coast Rd. , near Bayshore Condos)

      Date: Sat, 29 Jul, 8am – Sun, 30 Jul, 10am

      Fee: $60

      Registration: 6344-6519 or 6444-4576

      Highlights: Workshop on the beach and personal consultation

      How I Became a Vegetarian

      Danny Choo is founder of Enso Kitchen (www.ensokitchen.com), mentioned in an earlier issue of this newsletter. For more on Danny and his Japanese veg catering, see this article from Business Times: http://www.ensokitchen.com/media.htm

      Many years ago, I was sitting next to an American [F1] lady on a flight. After seeing the VGML sticker on her meal, I asked her what had made her become a vegetarian.

      She talked about the bad energy and chemicals produced when animals are slaughtered and how these harm us. I didn’t switch right away to the veggie option, but she got me thinking.

      The message was reinforced when I met a client in my last job who manufactured machines that produce chicken feed. He told me how the chickens were given chemicals and inhumanely treated in order to produce the maximum output to meet the growing demand within the shortest possible time. This got me thinking a bit more.

      Then, three years ago, I met the Dalai Lama, a great advocate of vegetarianism. I listened to him speak about compassion and the Buddhist principle of no killing, and I will always remember him saying that compassion ends the moment we touch meat. Compassion is respect for every being’s right to be happy.

      That was it. I decided to become vegetarian - a lifestyle and an attitude towards life that accords with my values.

       [F1]Put in what nationality she was. Caucasian sounds too scientific.