VSS eNewsletter 19 May 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2006

      VSS eNewsletter 19 May 2006

      Family Day to Raise Funds for SBFC – 21 May – Eunos MRT

      Wellness Weekend - 27-28 May, Fort Canning

      Metta Charity Walk cum Family Carnival – 28 May – Simei

      VSS Wellness Seminar: Vinegars and Enzymes, in Mandarin

      Foie Gras Is a Faux Pas

      Other News

      Eight-Week Vegetarian Cooking Class

      Da Veggie Code

      Learn to Make Banana Cream Pie

      Vegetarian Confinement Nanny Sought for Punggol

      Szechuan Court Goes Veg for May

      Interview with Peter Singer about His New Book

      VSS News

      Family Day to Raise Funds for SBFC – 21 May – Eunos MRT

      Going veg can prevent or delay certain illnesses, and, as the saying goes, “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”. But when people do fall ill, free clinics, such as the Singapore Buddhist Free Clinics (SBFC), provide an important line of defence: http://www.sbfc.org.sg/en/events.htm. This Sun, 21 May, 9.30am-5.30pm, SBFC is holding a Family Day in the open field outside Eunos MRT to raise funds for its operations and to promote vegetarian food. VSS will have a booth there.

      Wellness Weekend - 27-28 May, Fort Canning

      VSS will once again be participating in the Holistic Living Festival (now known as the Wellness Weekend), Sat-Sun, 27-28 May, 10am-8pm, $3 for adults, kids free, and some booths will refund the admission charge if you purchase from them: http://www.holisticliving.com.sg/festivedetails.php. Back in the beautiful surroundings of Fort Canning Centre, the Weekend offers its familiar eclectic mix of offerings for the open-minded. For more info: neil@....

      Metta Charity Walk cum Family Carnival – 28 May

      Metta Welfare Association helps the community in many ways, including providing education for special needs children. Last year, we mentioned the vegetarian café run by students from their school in Simei. Sun, 28 May, they will be holding a charity walk cum family carnival from 10am-6pm at their compound at 32 Simei Street 1 (free shuttle from Simei MRT). Contact: 6580.4688, mwa@..., www.metta.org.sg.

      The event features lot of veg food, trade stalls, a kids’ zone, a school open house, stage performances, and a fun walk which sets off at 9am. Registration for the walk is $10 and includes a goodie bag and t-shirt. For details: http://www.metta.org.sg/mt_event.asp. VSS will be there.

      VSS Wellness Seminar: Vinegars and Enzymes, in Mandarin

      VSS’s Wellness Seminar series continues with a Mandarin talk and demo on Vinegars and Enzymes to be held Monday, 29 May, 8pm-10pm, at Chyuan Shiang E.L.Tech, 92, Lorong 27, off Geylang Road, S. 388196 (near Aljunied MRT), Tel: 674.674.63.

      The speaker is Wang Song Ji. Mr Wang has been fermenting vinegars and enzymes for several decades. In addition to a talk, he will also demonstrate how to ferment fruit vinegar. Participants are welcome to bring their own fruits. The first 9 to register can receive hands-on experience under Mr Wang’s guidance. Admission fee = $5 per person. Please email kee_yew@... to reserve your seats early.

      Foie Gras Is a Faux Pas

      In the last week, foie gras has been mentioned at least twice in local papers. To find out more about why this food is an especially bad example of the cruelty of the meat industry: http://www.stopforcefeeding.com/page.php?module=home and http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/1213/p01s04-ussc.html.

      Here’s a letter that a VSS Exco member sent to the Straits Times Forum page:

      Recently, foie gras, the French delicacy made from the fattened livers of ducks and geese, has been receiving publicity in Singapore .  Perhaps readers are not aware that foie gras (pronounced fwah-grah - French for ‘fatty liver’) has been restricted in at least 10 countries and the state of California . Why? Because during the artificial fattening process used to produce foie gras, the birds are force-fed by pushing metal tubes down their throats. After two to four weeks of this, when their livers have grown to about five times the normal size, the ducks and geese are slaughtered. Indeed, modern factory farming has reduced our fellow animals to mere objects, and foie gras production represents a particularly clear example of this.

      Yes, we humans have the brains to do just about anything we want to our fellow animals, whether it is ramming rods down ducks’ throats or fattening chickens so that they are ready for slaughter at only 6 weeks of age, but can’t we put our brains to better use? Can’t we develop food that is to-die-for without making our fellow animals have to die for the titillation of our taste buds? In fact, we already have such food, from the great taste of fresh fruits and vegetables to vegetarian versions of local treats, such as laksa and redang. Plus, this food is much healthier than fattened meat.

      Thanks to recent advances in research, even more evidence is available showing what people with pets already know; our fellow animals, including birds, are thinking, feeling beings. Given this knowledge, plus what we know about the health dangers of meat, let us enjoy food in a true way by saying goodbye to foie gras and saying hello to tasty vegetarian dishes.

      Other News

      Eight-Week Vegetarian Cooking Class

      Bright Hill Temple, 88 Bright Hill Road (MRT = Bishan) is offering a third 8-week course on vegetarian cooking. This time the course will be led by Oh Chong Fah, who has done many classes and demos for VSS. The course meets every Sunday from 4pm-6pm at the 2nd floor Ven Hong Choon Memorial Hall, beginning Sun, 25 June. Cost is $50/pax per course. For more information: 6849.5332. The class is taught mainly in Mandarin, but with enough English so that in the past English speakers have happily taken part.

      Da Veggie Code

      Leonardo da Vinci was a vegetarian for humanitarian reasons. He apparently equated the murder of any of our fellow animals with the murder of humans: http://painting.about.com/od/famouspainters/a/LeonardoTrivia.htm.

      The following quote is attributed to him: “[T]he time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men” http://www.goveg.com/f-davincicode.asp.

      Learn to Make Banana Cream Pie

      Banana cream pie is one of the dishes to be taught and sampled at the 4th vegetarian cooking class at Genesis Health Food Restaurant, 1 Lorong Telok (Raffles Place MRT), Tel: 6438-7118, genesishf@....

      Learn how to do Assam TVP, pie crust/crackers and banana cream pie. Date & Time: Sun, 28 May, 4pm to 6pm. Class includes a health talk about snacking, the cooking demonstration and dinner. Fee: $40 per person. Pre-registration and pre-payment is required to ensure a place.

      Vegetarian Confinement Nanny Sought for Punggol

      A couple in Punggol is looking for a vegetarian confinement nanny. If you know someone who can help, pls contact sltan2@... or 9112.8721.

      Szechuan Court Goes Veg for May
      Szechuan Court Restaurant
      , in the world-famous Raffles Hotel, is offering vegetarian specials from 1 to 31 May. For reservations: 6431.6156; dining.plaza@....

      Lunch: Mon to Fri - 12:00 noon to 2:30 pm
      Sat, Sun and public holidays - 12:00 noon to 3:00 pm
      Dinner: Daily - 6:30 pm to 10:30 pm

      Interview with Peter Singer about His New Book

      For more than 30 years, Peter Singer has been telling us that the unanalysed meal is not worth eating. Here’s a recent interview with him about his new book: The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter: http://www.motherjones.com/interview/2006/04/peter_singer.html.