VSS eNewsletter 17 Apr 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2006

      VSS eNewsletter 17 April 2006

      Indian Shopping Festival at Expo Includes VSS Presentation

      Otah-otah (veg, of course) on the Menu at 23 Apr VSS Wellness Seminar

      No More Furniture Donations Needed – Thx

      VSS in the Schools

      Other News

      Yong Tau Foo at New Veg Outlet

      Veg Joke (sort of?)

      Mayo Clinic on Vegetarianism

      Recommended Reading

      Cutting Cholesterol by Moving Towards a Plant-Based Diet

      Another One of Lily’s Popular Cooking Classes

      Learn to Prepare Vegetarian Fish

      Medical Doctor, Modern Dancer, Short-Listed Author, and Vegetarian

      How I Became a Vegetarian – Alex Hershaft, a Founder of Meatout

      VSS News

      Indian Shopping Festival at Expo Includes VSS Presentation

      The GOPIO Indian Shopping Festival 2006 is a 10-day celebration of Indian heritage, including 80 on-site vendors from 10 states in India plus a variety of stage performances. The festival is being held at Expo Hall 7 from 14-23 April, 10am-10pm. Admission is free. For details:

      http://www.singapore-expo.com.sg/events_more.asp?EventID_in=441

      On Sat, 22 April, at the Festival at about 12 noon, VSS vice-president Vijay Rai will be speaking and showing videos related to why people should embrace a plant-based diet. http://www.vegetarian-society.org/revamp/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=6

      Otah-otah (veg, of course) on the Menu at 23 Apr VSS Wellness Seminar

      Here's the menu for the 23 Apr VSS buffet dinner at Genesis Health Food Restaurant following the health talk on the goodness of whole grains:

      1. Vietnamese bee hoon
      2. Otah-otah
      3. Vegetable salad
      4. Lettuce wrap
      5. Japanese Rice balls
      6. Stir-fried greens
      7. Dumplings
      8. Tapioca Delight

      Time: Sun, 5pm-7pm

      Place: Genesis Health Food Restaurant, 1 Lorong Telok

      More info: 6438-7118.

      Admission fee = $12 per person with the free wholesome meal. Please email  kee_yew@... to reserve your seats early. Details at http://www.vegetarian-society.org/revamp/html/index.php?module=PostCalendar&func=view&tplview=default&viewtype=month&Date=20060423&pc_username=&pc_category=&pc_topic=&print=

      No More Furniture Donations Needed – Thx

      We now have enough furniture to help our friends at Kampung Senang (http://www.kg-senang.org.sg) who hope to open a new centre near Aljunied MRT. Thx. Stay tuned to this eNewsletter for information on when our small library will be opening there.

      VSS in the Schools

      Last week, VSS did two school presentations: one for students at a school that caters to students with special intellectual challenges and the other for teachers at a JC. Thus, we look forward to communicating with students and teachers at any level in the education system. To book at talk, demo, exhibition, etc., contact info@.... Our sessions are free, although we do hope for reimbursement of costs, such as for the food used in food demos, and honorariums are welcome.

      Other News

      Yong Tau Foo at New Veg Outlet

      Chinn Sheng Vegetarian Restaurant is a new veg outlet featuring yong tau foo with chilli sauce, mixed veg rice and stir-fried items. Location: Blk. 4 Upper Aljunied Lane #01 - 22, Tel: 6289 0728. MRT: Aljunied. Bus: from Aljunied MRT bus-stop, take bus nos. 100 or any bus that goes towards Aljunied or Joo Seng Road or Mount Vernon .

      Open Mon-Fri - 6.30am to 9pm, Sat – 6.30-2pm. Closed Sun, except 1st & 15th of lunar month.

      Veg Joke (sort of?)

      A grizzly bear, a lion and a chicken are bragging about who is the scariest of them all. The grizzly says, “When I growl, the forest shakes.” The lion says, “When I roar, the jungle trembles.” The chicken says, “All that is ‘chicken feed.’ When I sneeze, the whole world panics.”

      Mayo Clinic on Vegetarianism

      The Mayo Clinic is a world-famous medical organization. Here’s their positive take on veg diets: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vegetarian-diet/HQ01596.

      Recommended Reading

      A reader recommends the following Roald Dahl short story, ‘The Boy Who Talked with Animals,’ found in Dahl’s collection, The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar, published by Penguin, 1977. The story is about what happens when a boy intervenes to attempt to save a turtle who has been captured and is going to be killed and eaten. Like many Dahl stories, this one has an imaginative twist. BTW, the title story in the collection is also very good. For more: http://www.roalddahl.com.

      Cutting Cholesterol by Moving Towards a Plant-Based Diet

      According to a Stanford University School of Medicine study, a low-fat diet rich plant foods (although not necessarily 100% veg) has twice the cholesterol-lowering power of a conventional low-fat diet that uses more meat. For more: http://vanderbiltowc.wellsource.com/dh/Content.asp?ID=1809.

      Another One of Lily’s Popular Cooking Classes

      Yogi Hub’s executive chef, Lily Ko, will be offering another one of her popular classes beginning Sat, 22 Apr, 3pm-5pm and continuing each week at the same time for a total of 4 weeks at Yogi Hub’s outlet at 16 Madras St. Total cost is $200. Dishes include vegan egg, cakame salad, and bitter gourd soup. Call Yogi Madras at 62988198 for details or visit www.yogihub.com.sg. Earlier registration is advised.

      Learn to Prepare Vegetarian Fish

      Genesis Health Food Restaurant is offering another cooking class to be conducted by two of its in-house chefs and a dietitian.  The program includes a talk on meal planning followed by cooking demo on how to make vegetarian fish from scratch, cashew mayonnaise and queenly quinoa.  The fee is only $40.00.  Date and time: Sunday, 30 Apr, from 3:30pm to 5:30pm. Place: Genesis Health Food Restaurant, 1 Lorong Telok. More info: 6438-7118.

      Medical Doctor, Modern Dancer, Short-Listed Author, and Vegetarian

      The past two weekends, The Sunday Times has brought news of high-flying vegetarians. First, it was prominent legal expert K.S. Rajah, who became vegetarian after hearing about cows shedding tears during their slaughter. This past weekend, we learned that Vyvyane Loh, whose debut novel is short-listed for the International Impac Dublin literary award, is a vegetarian in addition to being a doctor and a dancer. Her novel, available in bookshops, is titled ‘Breaking the Tongue’ and takes place in Singapore during the Japanese Occupation.

      We have asked Mr Rajah for an interview to learn more about how he became a vegetarian. If anyone knows Dr Loh, a Malaysian who went to school at St Joseph ’s Convent and RJC and now lives in the U.S. , maybe you could arrange for an email interview with her for this eNewsletter: info@.... Thx.

      How I Became a Vegetarian – Alex Hershaft, a Founder of Meatout

      Last year’s Singapore Meatout Week was a success and we are planning for this year Meatout Week, to be held in late July. If you’d like to help, contact info@.... Meatout began in the US . Here are excerpts from the story of one of the founders. VIP stands for Vegetarians in Paradise (http://www.vegparadise.com), and AH is Alex Hershaft, the interviewee:

      VIP: What events in your life led you to vegetarianism?

      AH: As far back as I can remember, it never made sense to me to hit a beautiful, innocent, sentient animal over the head, cut his body into small pieces, and then shove the pieces into my mouth. I suppose it was initially an aesthetic conviction - not too different from that of the ladies in Queen Victoria 's England that led to the early anti-cruelty statutes. In 1962, during my two-year stay in Israel , I stumbled across the ritual sacrifice of a baby goat to celebrate the birth of a Druze baby. The bitter irony of that act was the last straw I needed to change my diet. I remained a closet vegetarian until attending the 1975 World Vegetarian Congress in Orono , Maine ( USA ), when I decided to spend the rest of my life promoting a vegetarian diet.

      VIP: When did you become vegan? What led to that transition?

      AH: I didn't become a vegan till 1981, when I helped found the animal rights movement at a conference I arranged in Allentown, PA, and learned the bitter truth behind production of milk and eggs. From today's perspective, the more appropriate question would be "what took you so long." The fact is that, in those days, veganism was a very novel concept. There was a widespread notion that animal products were a necessary component of a healthy diet, and it was rather difficult to get vegan foods consistent with Western tastes. Many animal protection leaders were not vegetarian, served animals at their conventions, and did not even provide a vegan option.

      VIP: We understand you are a child of the Holocaust. How did the Holocaust affect you and your family?

      AH: The Holocaust affected my family by killing them all, except for my mother who died of natural causes in Israel in 1996. I became convinced that my debt for my survival was to dedicate my life to the pursuit of justice, in general, and justice for the most oppressed - farmed animals - in particular. The Holocaust experience, including the hiding, crowding, caging, cattle cars, brutality, and routine of mass extermination has promoted my empathy for what farmed animals go through every day.

      VIP: How do your family and friends react to your vegetarianism?

      AH: My mother and daughter both embraced it, initially out of respect for me and eventually out of conviction.

      VIP: Could you tell us about your education?

      AH: I wasted the best years of my life, from age 18 to 27, getting a Ph.D. in chemistry as a misguided memorial to my martyred father. Since then, having paid my 'debt,' I have been pursuing my quest for justice.

      VIP: How are you using your education in your present career?

      AH: I am not. The experience that has done most to provide me the 'can do' attitude, and thus, to prepare me for my current responsibilities came during my employment with several Washington consulting firms in the 70s. These days, I invariably advise potential young activists who ask for schooling advice to come to work for us or one of the other activist animal rights organizations. Indeed, a number of FARM 'graduates' hold leadership positions in our movement.

      VIP: One of FARM's programs, the Great American Meatout, has become an annual tradition. How did it begin? What influence has this event achieved?

      AH: The Great American Meatout was launched in January of 1985 in reaction to National Meat Week, now defunct. Last year, there were more than a thousand events in all 50 states and two dozen other countries, supporting proclamations by 30 governors and mayors, and extensive media coverage. Nearly everyone outside the movement that I've ever talked to has at least heard of it. It provides information on the benefits of plant-based eating for those who don't have it and an excuse to change their diet for those who do. Several mainstream health advocacy organizations have since started similar campaigns, most notably the '5 a day' program of the National Cancer Institute. More information is available on the web site http://meatout.org

      VIP: Could you tell us about CHOICE, one of your programs directed toward children?

      AH: CHOICE (Consumers for Healthy Options In Children's Education) introduces plant-based meals and nutrition education in our nation's schools, with the assistance of local activists. The program lay dormant for several years, but we have just hired a very capable new director, who is reactivating it. For information on CHOICE see http://choiceusa.net

      VIP: Can you tell us about the activities of the Global Hunger Alliance?

      AH: We launched the Global Hunger Alliance last year to promote plant-based solutions to world hunger at the World Food Summit in Rome . We were fortunate in recruiting a director who has formed a world-wide coalition of 90 supportive organizations, which is now pretty much independent from FARM. For more information on the Global Hunger Alliance, see http://globalhunger.net