VSS eNewsletter 10 April 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2006

      VSS eNewsletter 10 April 2006

      Important Notice for Desaru Trip Participants

      Tickets Still Available for VSS Wellness Seminar for April

      Thx for Furniture Donations – More Still Needed for VSS Library

      Metta Charity Walk cum Family Carnival

      Other News

      Learn Indian Veg Cooking from a Master

      Research Suggests Going Veg Helps Control Weight

      New Age Veg Outlet on MacPherson

      How I Became a Vegetarian: The President of Slovenia

      VSS News

      Important Notice for Desaru Trip Participants

      This is for people going on VSS’ trip to Desaru.

      Change of Gathering Venue on 14th April: To provide a better service for the participants of the Desaru Trip, VSS is chartering a 44-seater bus to shuttle participants between Tanah Merah MRT and Changi Ferry Terminal. The service schedule is as follow:

      14 April (Fri), 8.40am from Tanah Merah MRT Exit B [near taxi stand, bus leaves at 8.40am sharp] to Changi Ferry Terminal.

      15 April (Sat), 4.30pm, from Changi Ferry Terminal, to Tanah Merah MRT

      The new gathering venue is at Tanah Merah MRT Exit B taxi stand @ 8.40am.

      Should there be participants who would like to meet at Changi Ferry Terminal @ 9am, kindly email kee_yew@... or call Kee Yew @ 9362 7493 before 12th April (Tues).

      Tickets Still Available for VSS Wellness Seminar for April

      The April session of VSS’ Wellness Seminar series focuses on whole grains. Diana David, a registered dietician who holds a Master’s degree in Public Health will explain and demonstrate on Sun, 23 April, 5pm-7pm at Genesis Health Food Restaurant, 1 Lorong Telok, Tel: 6438-7118.

      Admission fee = $12 per person with a free wholesome meal. Please email kee_yew@... to reserve your seats early. Details at http://www.vegetarian-society.org/revamp/html/index.php?module=PostCalendar&func=view&tplview=default&viewtype=month&Date=20060423&pc_username=&pc_category=&pc_topic=&print=

      Thx for Furniture Donations – More Still Needed for VSS Library

      Our friends at Kampung Senang (http://www.kg-senang.org.sg) are opening a new centre in the next couple months near Aljunied MRT. Stay tuned to this eNewsletter for details. And, they’ve kindly offered VSS space in their new centre for our library. In return, we are happy to help with furnishing the centre. We’ve had some donations, but we still lack some items. If you can donate new or used furniture that matches the descriptions below, please contact VSS Exco member, Wong Kew Yew (9362.7493, kee_yew@...):

      1. 6 wooden chairs and a wooden table that fits 6 chairs
      2. wooden cabinet
      3. wooden notice board
      4. wooden pigeon holes rack

      Metta Charity Walk cum Family Carnival

      Metta Welfare Association helps the community in many ways, including providing education for special needs children. Last year, we mentioned the vegetarian café run by students from their school in Simei. Sun, 28 May, they will be holding a charity walk cum family carnival from 10am-6pm at their compound at 32 Simei Street 1 (free shuttle from Simei MRT). Contact: 6580.4688, mwa@..., www.metta.org.sg.

      The event features lot of veg food, trade stalls, a kids’ zone, a school open house, stage performances, and a fun walk which sets off at 9am. Registration for the walk is $10 and includes a goodie bag and t-shirt. For details: http://www.metta.org.sg/mt_event.asp. VSS will be there.

      Other News

      Learn Indian Veg Cooking from a Master

      Devagi Sanmugam, well-known as a master of Indian cuisine, is offering two different veg cooking classes: Tues, 11 Apr, 7pm-9.30pm and Thur, 13 Apr, 7pm-9.30pm. The price of each separate course is $50 with a discount if you sign up for both. For details, Tel:  6458.0572, devagi@..., www.devagi.com.

      Research Suggests Going Veg Helps Control Weight

      A study involving 22,000 people suggests that although as we become older, we are likely to gain weight, but a veg diet, plus exercise, can restrict that gain: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4801570.stm. At the same time, vegetarianism needs to be part of an overall approach to good health. The BBC article quotes Ursula Arens, spokeswoman for the British Dietetic Association, as stating, "A diet of chips and chocolate is 'vegetarian' but not healthy or likely to help slimming."

      New Age Veg Outlet on MacPherson

      Yang Sheng is a New Age vegetarian restaurant that recently opened at 532 MacPherson Road , 6748.8900, MRT – Aljunied, Buses – 8, 62, 90, 151. Open daily, 7.30am-10pm, except the 2nd and 16th days of the lunar calendar.

      Among the dishes on offer are steamed fresh mushrooms with special sauce, brown rice with mushrooms, and an innovative yam ring filled with a colourful variety of fruit and veg.

      How I Became a Vegetarian: The President of Slovenia

      In this article, the president of Slovenia (http://www.slovenia.si), which was formerly part of Yugoslavia , explains why he became a vegetarian and his views on related issues: http://www.evana.org/index.php?id=8653&lang=en.