VSS eNewsletter 15 March 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2006

      VSS eNewsletter 15 March 2006

      Reminder: VSS AGM – Sat., 25 March

      Take a Meat Eater for a Meal

      Three Spaces Left for Desaru Trip in April

      Other News

      Sign of the Times – Local

      Going to Great Heights to Support Vegetarianism

      Want To Take Over a Veg Stall?

      Ask and You Shall Receive – Vegetarian Food

      Birds with Memories like Elephants

      A Calm Animal and a Fast Knife

      VSS News

      Reminder: VSS AGM – Sat., 25 March

      The VSS AGM will be held Sat, 25 Mar, 10am-12noon. The venue is Bestway Building , 12 Prince Edward Rd, #06-01 , Podium A. Everyone is welcome, but only members can vote. No memberships will be sold at the door. Light snacks will be served, and we hope to screen some videos.

      Directions: Bestway Bldg is few minutes walk from Tanjung Pagar MRT. Take Exit D for MAS Bldg and M Hotel. Buses 131, 167, 186, 608, 700, 970, alight at International Plaza, 10 Anson Rd; Buses 10, 70, 75, 97, 100, 107, 130, 162, 196, 400, alight at Apex Tower, 70 Anson Rd.

      Take a Meat Eater for a Meal

      Mon, 20 Mar is the first day of Spring in the northern hemisphere and the day the people in many countries are celebrating Meatout Day (www.meatout.org). In Singapore , we’re going to have our Singapore Meatout Week later in the year, probably July.

      However, we do want to do something on 20 Mar to connect with people in other countries. So, we’re going to have a “Take a Meat Eater for a Meal” day. In other words, on that day (or some day near then), vegetarians take a meat eating friend, family member or colleague for a veg meal. This could be eating out or a home-cooked meal. Give it a try, and let us know how it goes: info@....

      Three Spaces Left for Desaru Trip in April

      Only three places remain for VSS’s 2-day, 1-night trip to Desaru for 14-15 Apr. Enjoy a scenic get-away, including kite-flying, with four vegan meals, all at a reasonable price. For details, please go to the VSS Events calendar and change the month to Apr: http://www.vegetarian-society.org/revamp/html/index.php?module=PostCalendar&func=view

      Other News

      Sign of the Times – Local

      As an old song says, “The times they are a-changing.” This is certainly true in regard to human’s attitudes towards our fellow animals. Most of these signs come from the West, such as laws regulating better imprisonment conditions for pigs and hens who will later be killed for meat.

      But, there are signs here in Singapore too. For example, have you ever wondered why at circuses here, we don’t see lions, tiger, etc.? The answer comes from our friends at ACRES (www.acres.org.sg):

      As of January 2002, the Agri-food and Veterinary Authority no longer allows the import and exhibition of performing wild animals in travelling circuses. This is enforced under Part II (Importation, Transhipment & Exportation of Animals & Birds) & Part IV (Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) of the Animals & Birds Act. The statutes are available online at http://statutes.agc.gov.sg.

      The ban covers all wild animals. Domesticated animals, such as dogs and cats, are still allowed to be used for circus shows.

      Going to Great Heights to Support Vegetarianism

      Bala, a yoga teacher and VSS supporter, participated in the Singapore Vertical Marathon 2006 on 12 Mar. As he did in 2005, Bala climbed Suntec Tower 4 backwards, wearing a chicken head costume and a t-shirt saying, "H51N, Love animals, eat plants" on the front and back. Not surprisingly, Bala drew a lot attention from fellow runners, onlookers and the media. For example, a journalist from LianHe ZaoBao interviewed him on the issue. To support Bala, VSS set up a small booth to distribute free apples (contributed by Bala), as well as our VCDs and flyers. Chris Turner, another VSS supporter, turned up at the booth in a Spiderman suit, speeding up the VCD and flyers distribution, and attracting lots of youngsters. Spiderman briefed them on how a balanced vegetarian diet can boost athletic performance.

      Want To Take Over a Veg Stall?

      Someone contacted VSS with news that the stallholder of a veg outlet at Kallang Bahru, Blk 16 is planning to retire and wants someone to continue to provide veg food via the stall. If you are interested, contact Kim Eng at 6741.6418. You may need to call multiple times to get through and be able to speak Mandarin to talk with Kim Eng.

      Ask and You Shall Receive – Vegetarian Food

      Some people worry that they can only find veg food at veg outlets, but actually, most food outlets can cook up something tasty for us. All we have to do is ask. Here’s an example from Dawn Kua.

      I'm writing about Restaurant Ember at Hotel 1929 (50 Keong Saik Road in Chinatown). They are a lovely restaurant but do not have many vegetarian options on the menu. However, every time I've gone, I've had no problem asking them to whip up something vegetarian for me, and invariably it's delicious.

      Recently, they added a vegetarian entree to the menu, and when I last went a few weeks ago, the manager, Sabrina, mentioned that she felt bad that I always ate the same thing (though I could eat the pumpkin risotto and the tofu with enoki mushroom in a miso sauce every day, not to mention the desserts!); so, she said that they would be adding more vegetarian dishes to the menu!

      I've found that many restaurants will cook something vegetarian for you if there is nothing on the menu, but Ember has gone a step further. They really do take what their guests like to heart and they have the most genuine and warm service too!

      Birds with Memories like Elephants

      The stereotype says that birds have tiny brains, so they must not be able to think much at all. On the other hand, elephants are, according to legend, supposed to have powerful memories. It turns out that birds’ memories aren’t so bad. Here’s a quote from an article on research that found that a hummingbird, “with a brain no bigger than a grain of rice and which feeds on hundreds of flowers each day, could pinpoint the location of flowers it had visited and when the bit of nectar in each would be replenished. Such episodic memory was previously thought to be exclusive to humans.” You can read the entire article at

       http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060307/sc_afp/canadaukresearch_060307222448

      A Calm Animal and a Fast Knife

      The following article contains alleged excerpts from a conference of the American Meat Institute Foundation. Specifically, the article focuses on the advice researchers gave about slaughtering, such as achieving vocalization rates of 5% or less. Vocalization is when the nonhuman animals cry out while being killed:

      http://www.pitch.com/Issues/2006-03-02/news/stline_1.html