VSS eNewsletter 28 Feb 06

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2006

      VSS eNewsletter 28 February 2006

      VSS AGM

      Raw Food Seminar

      Meal-in-a-Drink Smoothie

      Interview in I-S Magazine

      Other News

      Mixed Marriages – When Only One Spouse Is Vegetarian

      Strange Listening

      Frozen Airplane Food That Tastes Good

      VSS News

      VSS AGM

      The VSS constitution mandates an AGM each March. This year’s event will be held Sunday, 19 Mar from 2pm at 12 Prince Edward Rd, #06-01 , Podium A, Bestway Bldg, the same place the AGM was held in 2005. Everyone is welcome, but only members can vote. No memberships will be sold at the door. Light snacks will be served, and we hope to screen some videos. Want to propose something for the AGM agenda? Write to info@....

      Directions: Bestway Bldg is few minutes walk from Tanjung Pagar MRT. Take exit D for MAS Bldg and M Hotel. Buses 131, 167, 186, 608, 700, 970, alight at International Plaza, 10 Anson Rd; Buses 10, 70, 75, 97, 100, 107, 130, 162, 196, 400, alight at Apex Tower, 70 Anson Rd.

      Raw Food Seminar

      The first session of the VSS Wellness Seminar Series in 2006 takes place Thur, 9 Mar, 8pm-9.30pm. The topic is Why Raw? with Julia Jus, a raw food chef who lives in Chiang Mai and speaks English well: http://www.juliajus.com/about_julia.html. A VSS member who uses a raw food diet was very impressed by a session Julia did on her last visit to Singapore .

      The venue is Magazine Cafe, 16 Morse Road No. 207 (along Wishart Road ), Tel: 6271.6938. Only 1km from Harbour Front MRT. Bus: SBS 10, 30, 93, 97, 100, 131, 143, 145, 166, SMRT 61, 188, 963, 97A, 100A, 30B. Admission to the seminar is $5. Please email kee_yew@... to reserve your seats early.

      Meal-in-a-Drink Smoothie

      When VSS does food demos as part of a talk, we often demonstrate our Meal-in-a-Drink smoothie found on p. 88 of the VSS cookbook “New Asian Traditions.” For instance, later this week, we are doing that for teachers and parents at secondary school in Sembawang. The smoothie is easy to make, flexible in terms of what ingredients to add, and a hit with the people who come to our talks.

      The smoothie is so popular that we need more people who can demo it. If you’d like to learn and would be willing to do public demos (you do not have to pay for the ingredients), please contact info@....

      Interview in I-S Magazine

      Last Friday’s (24 Feb) issue of I-S Magazine contained an interview about vegetarianism with a VSS member (p. 6). Here are two questions from the interview:

      1. How do you rate Singapore as a place for vegetarians? It’s a great place. There’s lots of variety and people go out of their way to accommodate you.

      1. What’s the best vegetarian eatery in town? Personally, I like my own kitchen.

      Other News

      Mixed Marriages – When Only One Spouse Is Vegetarian

      Vegetarians come from many different religious backgrounds. For example, here’s a thoughtful piece that may be useful to people of any religious background, from the Jewish Veg website: http://jewishveg.com/schwartz/mixmarrg.htm

      Strange Listening

      Brian Conroy is a vegan who put together a one-person comedy show called Vegan Monologues: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/3386. You can listen to two of his pieces at http://69.17.119.150/invasion and http://69.17.119.150/mybeef.

      Frozen Airplane Food That Tastes Good

      A reader who recently returned from a trip to East Asia was impressed by the variety of veg options on the airlines. He requested “no egg, no dairy”, and when the other passengers were given ice cream, he received a thick slice of frozen pineapple. Great idea! Frozen banana is also excellent.