VSS e-Newsletter 20 Jan 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2006

      VSS eNewsletter 20 January 2006

      Organic Farm Special Event

      VSS Team for Singapore Biathlon

      Other News

      One Veg Outlet Replaces Another

      Veg Porridge Outlet Opens

      Workshop on the Art and Science of Biogenic Foods

      Help Save the Planet: Go Vegetarian

      Seismic Shift in European Attitudes

      New Branch of Veg Restaurant

      When the Shoe Was on the Other Foot

      VSS News

      Organic Farm Special Event

      This weekend, 21-22 Jan, Sat (9am-9pm) & Sun (9am-7pm), two local organic farms, Fireflies and Bollywood, are participating in a special event in Kranji, titled Spring Special 2006. VSS will have a display at Fireflies. We visited Fireflies last month as part of VSS’ organic tour.

      Details at http://www.gardenasia.com/springspecial/index.htm. Fireflies’ contact is 62, Lot 75 Lim Chu Kang Lane 2 S. 719842, Tel: 6793.7875, www.fireflies.sg. A shuttle will be available from Kranji MRT.

      VSS Team for Singapore Biathlon

      Two people have agreed to take part in the VSS team for the Singapore Biathlon, Sun, 26 Mar, at East Coast Park (http://www.safra.sg/singaporebiathlon). If you’d like to be part of a VSS team, contact info@.... Teammates need not run/swim together.

      Other News

      One Veg Outlet Replaces Another

      It’s sad when a veg outlet closes, but sometimes another veg outlet opens in its place. That’s what happened recently at Fortune Centre, a must-visit veg oasis. A reader reports that Tanaka Vegetarian moved out and Xin Yuan Vegetarian Food has taken its place. The reader recommends the new outlet for its large variety of good food. The address is 190 Middle Road, #02 - 13, S. 188979.

      Specialty dishes include pineapple rice, claypot noodle, and noodle soups. Open every day, except Sunday, from 9am-8pm. Tel: 9295.6881 or 9693.0216.

      Veg Porridge Outlet Opens

      Mei Nu Dessert Porridge recently opened, offering a wide variety of vegetarian porridge. Here’s what they say about themselves:

      Our sweet porridges and soups are cooked over low heat over a period of time to break down the grain, making it easy to digest and assimilate in order to provide your body with the nutrients it needs. As we cook the porridges and soups with top grade nutritious ingredients and Chinese herbs with no added preservative or artificial flavorings, the results are delicious low fat porridges and soups that have beautifying and slimming effects.

      Stall 6, 5 Fingers Food Street at 2 New Bugis Street (U-Block), Opposite Bugis Junction.

      Operating Hours: 12pm to 11pm Daily

      Contact Person: Ada Wong - bleurose13@...

      Workshop on the Art and Science of Biogenic Foods

      Date: Saturday – 18 February 2006

      Time: 3.00 pm to 5.00 pm

      Organizer: Synbiotics Health Optimum

      & Venue: 15 Stanley Street, S. 068734

      Contact: Tel: 6226 2621 for registration

      Investment: $50.00 (includes sampling of organic juice and snacks).

      Ask about possible discount for VSS members.

      Help Save the Planet: Go Vegetarian
      In a paper delivered at the 2005 American Geophysical conference, researchers reported that the usual American diet (of which 28% is derived from animal sources) creates the equivalent of nearly 1.5 tonnes more carbon dioxide per person per year than a vegan diet with the same number of calories. To read the full paper, go to http://geosci.uchicago.edu/~gidon/papers/nutri/nutri.html.

      Seismic Shift in European Attitudes

      Human recognition of and concern about the terrible things we do to our fellow animals is growing. Note the term “seismic shift” in this Reuters article about proposed European product labels related to animal welfare standards: http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticleSearch.aspx?storyID=168992%2B11-Jan-2006%2BRTRS&srch=animal%2Bwelfare.

      Of course, treating chickens nicer before killing them still seems somewhat inadequate, especially when there’s so much healthy, tasty veg food.

      New Branch of Veg Restaurant

      Roma’s Deli, in Shaw Tower , has opened a new branch: Roma's Cuisine, 505 Beach Road , Golden Mile Food Centre, #01-85, S. 199583.
      * Open: (Mon - Sat) 11:00am to 8:00pm

      * Tel: 6245 1897
      * Menu: Western and Oriental Style Food
      * Bus: 961 from Lavender MRT along Lavender St

      When the Shoe Was on the Other Foot

      Vegetarianism is about humans not eating our fellow animals, but there was a time when our fellow animals were eating our prehuman ancestors. Here are two articles about that:

      http://news-info.wustl.edu/news/page/normal/5443.html

      http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10819471