VSS eNewsletter 15 December 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2005

      VSS eNewsletter 15 December 2005

      Seminar on Diet and Brain Development in Children– Sat, 17 December

      VSS Social Luncheon – Sun, 18 December

      One-Day Local Organic Shopping Trip - Full

      Staying Under Water a Week at the Giving Tree @ North East 2005

      World Vegetarian Congress – Goa, India, Sep 2006

      Other News

      New Veg Café Along Northeast Line

      From The Times (London) on the Vegan Society Founder

      High Fibre Helps Heartburn

      Nice Quote

      How My Baby Became a Vegetarian

      VSS News

      Seminar on Diet and Brain Development in Children– Sat, 17 December

      In conjunction with Kampung Senang, VSS’ Wellness Seminar series continues with a Mandarin seminar, “Healthy Diet and Optimal Brain Development in Children” by Mr Lu Zhuo Ming. The Seminar takes place on Sat, 17 Dec, 5pm-7pm at Kampung Senang’s Lear ning to Learn Centre, located at Blk 221 Hougang Street 21, #01-90, S. 530221, near Kovan MRT, opp. NTUC Fairprice.

      The Seminar is free, but registration closes on 15 Dec. To register, submit parents' names and children's ages to Lear ning to Learn Centre (Tel: 64873430, Chee Seng), or email parents' names and children's ages to kee_yew@.... For details: http://www.vegetarian-society.org/revamp/html/index.php?module=Postcalendar.

      VSS Social Luncheon – Sun, 18 December

      Some people ask, “Does VSS have get-togethers?” This luncheon at Biopolis is the closest thing we have to that. Please take this opportunity to meet fellow vegetarians and supporters of vegetarianism. Plus, hear Richard Seah, a macrobiotic guru, give a 20min talk on how to balance the Yin and Yang of vegetarian diets. Location: FoodBank @ Biopolis, 30, Biopolis Street , #01-01 Matrix Block, S. 138671. Price: $15.

      Prior registration highly encouraged. Deadline: 15 Dec. Details at: http://www.vegetarian-society.org/revamp/html/index.php?module=PostCalendar&func=view&tplview=default&viewtype=month&Date=20051201&pc_username=&pc_category=&pc_topic=

      One-Day Local Organic Shopping Trip – 24 Dec – Full

      This trip is already full. If people enjoy the trip, we’ll try to organize another one next year.

      Staying Under Water a Week at the Giving Tree @ North East 2005

      Adventurer Khoo Siew Chiow is attempting to break the world Scuba Diving Record from 16 Dec to 25 Dec at the Giving Tree @ North East. The location of the tank is in between the side of the stage and the Volunteer Fair. He will be on location 24 hours a day till he either breaks the record or he quits halfway. There will also be game stalls located next to his diving tank.

      The Giving Tree @ North East, Singapore’s largest volunteer fair, is being held from 2-31 December next to Tampines MRT. The fair’s goal is to encourage people from around the island to become volunteers or to expand their volunteer efforts. A wide range of organizations, including VSS, are there seeking more volunteers.

      Also, Fri-Sun, 16-18 Dec, there will be a great line-up of films, next to the VSS booth. The schedule is:

      Date

      Film

      16 Dec – Fri

      6pm – March of the Penguins

      8pm – Rush Hour in Antarctica (National Geographic)

      17 Dec – Sat

      4pm – Devour the Earth – Protect the Env by going veg. Plus, special appearances by Spiderman, Bat Girl and Batman (all portrayed by veg actors)

      7.30pm – ToddyCats! Short clips

      18 Dec – Sun

      1pm – State of the Planet (BBC)

      4pm – Devour the Earth – Protect the Env by going veg. Plus, special appearances by Spiderman, Bat Girl and Batman (all portrayed by veg actors)

      5pm – The Humane Solution (On Cats) (Ally Cat Allies)

      7.30pm – ToddyCats! Short clips

      Also at The Giving Tree @ North East is an Adopt-a-Tree programme. Details at http://www.eco-singapore.org.

      World Vegetarian Congress – Goa, India, Sep 2006

      The World Vegetarian Congress is held every two years. In 2004, it was in Brazil ; in 2008, it will be in Germany . Next year, it’s in India : Goa to be exact. Details and online registration are now available at http://www.ivu.org/congress/2006.

      Other News

      New Veg Café Along Northeast Line

      A reader wrote to spread the word about a new veg café located between Serangoon and Kovan MRT stations at No. 37 Teck Chye Terrace SING 545730, along Upp Serangoon Rd / Lim Tua Tow Rd,  Tel: 6286 8028. Open since Sept, the Natural Vegetarian Delight serves a wide variety of dishes from 9am-9pm, every day, except Tuesdays. Dishes include Oriental / Western / Malay & Indian vege food, such as Chinese/ Malay rojak, roti prata with filling, laksa, clay-pot-mee, clay-pot-rice, and Western / Japanese set meals.

      From The Times ( London) on the Vegan Society Founder

      High Fibre Helps Heartburn

      Eating more plant-based foods, such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables, beans, and legumes, puts more fibre into our diet. A recent study links more fibre with less heartburn. For details: http://www.webmd.com/content/article/99/105085.htm.

      Nice Quote

      "For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings, they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the Earth".  Henry Beston, The Outermost House

      How My Baby Became a Vegetarian

      The author has kindly agreed to respond to queries from families who are plan ning to have a baby or who recently had one: helen_prudy@....

      I have been a vegetarian for 8 years. When I became pregnant a year ago, people around me were concerned. They advised against maintai ning a vegetarian diet during my pregnancy. They felt that a vegetarian diet did not contain enough nutrition for my baby.

      However, despite their misconceptions about vegetarianism, I went ahead based on my firm belief. During my first 3 months of pregnancy, I frequently felt nauseous and only ate half a bowl of rice or at times, only a piece of bread for the whole day. As a result, I lost weight, from 45kg to 39kg. This got me worried, but my gynae assured me that my baby was doing fine. Although my appetite was not good, sometimes I forgot to take the multi-vitamins given by my gynae. Curiously, I did not suffer from anaemia. After the 5th month, I started to take a variety of foods, such as fruits, vegetable soups and soya milk. However, after 2 months of eating well, my gynae advised me to restrict my dietary intake, as my baby was over-weight based on my small frame. If I did not heed his advice, I might not be able to have an “all-natural” birth and might have to opt for an assisted birth.

      Sigh!!! I had to give up some of my favourite foods, such as spaghetti and bread … all gone from my menu!

      On 7 June 2005, I gave birth to a healthy baby girl! My husband and I were overjoyed. Her name is Chin YunZhi. Her complexion was pinkish, and she was very curious about her surroundings. After we brought her home, neighbours soon visited. They were curious, as we had not announced her presence. Later, we found out that it was her voice (crying) that made our neighbours realize that there was a “New Kid on the Block.”

      After a month, she was able to lift up her head!!! Ooh… A strong and healthy ‘vege’ baby indeed!

      A proud mother,

      Mdm Goh Saw Lan

      p.s.: She’s now 5 months old and full of vigour and energy!