VSS e-Newsletter 8 December 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2005

      VSS eNewsletter 8 December 2005

      Seminar on Diet and Brain Development in Children – Sat, 17Dec

      VSS Social Luncheon – Sun, 18Dec

      One-Day Local Organic Shopping Trip – Sat, 24Dec – Almost Full

      Giving Tree @ North East 2005 – All of Dec

      Other News

      From the Late Inventor of the Word “Vegan”

      Health & Fitness Magazine Features Vegetarianism

      Veg-Friendly Poems Translated from Chinese

      B12 and You – Please Read, Especially If You’re Vegan

      Breathing Easier – A Veg Diet May Help Our Lungs

      New Veg Café – The Magazine Café

      Another Brown Rice Sighting

      Vegetarian and Meat Reducer Firefighters

      How I Became a Vegetarian

      VSS News

      Seminar on Diet and Brain Development in Children– Sat, 17 December

      In conjunction with Kampung Senang, VSS’ Wellness Seminar series continues with a Mandarin seminar, “Healthy Diet and Optimal Brain Development in Children” by Mr Lu Zhuo Ming. The Seminar takes place on Sat, 17 Dec, 5pm-7pm at Kampung Senang’s Lear ning to Learn Centre, located at Blk 221 Hougang Street 21, #01-90, S. 530221, near Kovan MRT, opp. NTUC Fairprice.

      The Seminar is free, but registration closes on 15 Dec. To register, submit parents' names and children's ages to Lear ning to Learn Centre (Tel: 64873430, Chee Seng), or email parents' names and children's ages to kee_yew@.... For details: http://www.vegetarian-society.org/revamp/html/index.php?module=Postcalendar.

      VSS Social Luncheon – Sun, 18 Decmber

      Some people ask, “Does VSS have get-togethers?” This luncheon at Biopolis is the closest thing we have to that  Please take this opportunity to meet fellow vegetarians and supporters of vegetarianism. Plus, hear Richard Seah, a macrobiotic guru, give a 20min talk on how to balance the Yin and Yang of vegetarian diets. Location: FoodBank @ Biopolis, 30, Biopolis Street , #01-01 Matrix Block, S. 138671. Price: $15.

      Details at: http://www.vegetarian-society.org/revamp/html/index.php?module=PostCalendar&func=view&tplview=default&viewtype=month&Date=20051201&pc_username=&pc_category=&pc_topic=

      One-Day Local Organic Shopping Trip – 24 Dec - – Almost Full

      This is an educational bus tour for beginners on Sat, 24 Dec. We will visit farms in the mor ning and stores and restaurants in the afternoon. For details, contact yywong4@... or 9362 7493, or visit http://www.vegetarian-society.org/revamp/html/index.php?module=Postcalendar.

      Giving Tree @ North East 2005

      Singapore’s largest volunteer fair is being held from 2-31 December next to Tampines MRT. Entitled ‘Giving Tree @ North East 2005’, the fair’s goal is to encourage people from around the island to become volunteers or to expand their volunteer efforts. A wide range of organizations, including VSS, are there seeking more volunteers.

      Other News

      From the Late Inventor of the Word “Vegan”

      Last month, we reported the news of the death of Donald Watson, inventor of the word “vegan.” Here’s a 2004 interview with him: http://www.veg.ca/living/donald-watson.html.

      Health & Fitness Magazine Features Vegetarianism

      The current issue (Volume 2, #1) of Health & Fitness magazine, available at some bookstores (but not Popular) and magazine kiosks, features articles on vegetarianism. One article is an interview with the Singapore national men’s marathon record holder, M. Rameshon. Carry that article around with you, and use it the next time someone claims that they’ll be weak if they eat less meat.

      Veg-Friendly Poems Translated from Chinese

      Here, from a Buddhist website, are some Chinese poems translated into English. The poems advocate a compassionate view of our fellow animals, and are not explicitly religious: http://www.drba.org/dharma/veggie/kindness.asp. If you want a hard copy, you can buy one at http://www.bttsonline.org/product.aspx?pid=157.

      B12 and You – Please Read, Especially If You’re Vegan

      If you are a vegetarian who does not take eggs or dairy, in order to have enough Vitamin B12, you may want to consider using fortified foods, such as some soy milks (please read the label), or taking supplements (available at GNC and elsewhere).

      For a full explanation, see:

      http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/b12 or

      http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/nutrition/b12.

      In choosing to use fortified foods or B12 supplements, vegans are taking their B12 from the same source as every other animal on the planet - micro-organisms - without causing suffering to other sentient beings or causing excessive environmental damage.

      Breathing Easier – A Veg Diet May Help Our Lungs

      A new study, based on data from Chinese adults in Singapore , finds that eating mostly meat, refined starches, and sodium may increase the likelihood of developing chronic respiratory symptoms, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Researchers found that individuals whose diets are rich in meat, refined starches and sodium are 1.43 times more likely to report new onset of persistent coughs with phlegm than those who consume a diet high in fruit and soy. Details at http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/nov2005/niehs-15.htm.

      New Veg Café – The Magazine Café

      The Magazine Café opens 8 Dec: Tel: 6271.6938, Email: gabrielle@.... The café will carry 160 local and overseas magazines (for browsing and buying), plus chilled and hot beverages and vegetarian snacks. The cafe is located at Wishart Road , behind Singapore Soka Association, Grace Methodist Church , and Telok Ayer Chinese Methodist Church . Harbourfront is the nearest MRT, 15 mins away on foot. Buses 10, 30, 97, 100, 143, and 166 go along nearby Telok Blangah Road . Ope ning hours are 9am-8pm daily.

      Another Brown Rice Sighting

      The veg stall in the Kopitiam at Block 6 of SGH offers brown rice. Why not encourage the veg, and non-veg, places where you eat to offer brown rice? One way for them to start is to mix white and brown rice together. That eases the transition for those who are fond of white rice. After a while, many people come to feel that brown rice is tastier; everyone knows that it’s healthier.

      Vegetarian and Meat Reducer Firefighters

      The stereotype of firefighters in the U.S. depicts them as muscular males who prepare meat-heavy meals in their fire house while awaiting the call to put out a fire. A recent story from Texas is starting to change this stereotype. Read about what one small group of firefighters has done and its positive effects on their health: http://engine2.org/statesmanArticle.asp.

      How I Became a Vegetarian

      Please send your own story and urge others to send theirs to info@.... Some readers say that “How I Became a Vegetarian” is their favourite part of the Newsletter.

      I used to enjoy eating a few servings of meat each day, despite knowing that meat is animal flesh. This knowledge never bothered me at all until one day, a friend passed me VSS’ Seeds VCD. I thought, “No harm watching.”

      By watching the VCD, I finally made the connection between food and animal carcasses, but I was not ready to give up eating seafood yet, as I didn’t see much blood in seafood when compared to farm animals. A few days later, I decided to watch the same VCD again. After watching it the second time, I was determined to give up all flesh foods, including seafood, and products derived from animals, including cheese, eggs, and milk.

      It has been almost two years since I switched to a vegan diet. One significant improvement in my health has been in my cholesterol level. Before switching to a vegan diet, my cholesterol reading was above normal level at 207 (normal 200 & below). After a year on my vegan diet, my cholesterol reading dropped to only 166 (very healthy level). I am convinced that you are what you eat, and a healthy diet can reverse dangerous medical conditions.

      A few months ago, I met someone who suggested that in addition to my vegan diet, I should also take part in a detox program and increase my consumption of raw foods. Nowadays, I try to eat not more than one cooked meal each day. I also try to abstain from fried food, confectionaries, fizzy drinks, salt, sugar, and MSG. Although I have yet to obtain vibrant health, I know I am on the road to it, at the same time that I help our fellow animals and the planet.

      30yr-old Chinese female