VSS e-Newsletter 24 November 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2005

      VSS eNewsletter 24 November 2005

      Seminar on Diet and Brain Development

      Kind Words about the VSS Cookbook

      VSS Social Luncheon – Sunday, 18 December

      Other News

      Inventor of the Word ‘Vegan’ Passes Away

      Why Some Buddhists Aren’t Vegetarian

      Beta Carotene and Longevity

      Talk on Enzyme Drinks

      How I Became a Vegetarian

      VSS News

      Seminar on Diet and Brain Development

      In conjunction with Kampung Senang (http://www.kg-senang.org.sg), VSS’ Wellness Seminar series continues with a Mandarin seminar, “Healthy Diet and Optimal Brain Development in Children” by Mr Lu Zhuo Ming. The Seminar takes place on Sat, 17 Dec, 5pm-7pm, at Kampung Senang’s Lear ning to Learn Centre, located at Blk 221 Hougang Street 21, #01-90, S. 530221, near Kovan MRT, opp. NTUC Fairprice.

      The Seminar is free, but registration closes on 15 Dec. To register, submit parents' names and children's ages to Lear ning to Learn Centre (Tel: 64873430, Chee Seng), or email parents' names and children's ages to kee_yew@... .

      Kind Words about the VSS Cookbook

      After buying two copies of the VSS cookbook, New Asian Traditions, one reader wrote to say:

      I would like to congratulate Vegetarian Society (S'pore) for putting out

      an excellent vegetarian cookbook. The recipes are easy to follow and, more

      important, are nutrition based. For some time, my family and I have been trying to go on a vegetarian diet but have found it quite difficult due to a lack of knowledge on vegetarian food and its nutrition. We find this cookbook to be useful in providing the kind of info that will help us in our endeavour to eat vegetarian.

      Most major bookshops carry the cookbook, but it does go out of stock; so, please call the store first to avoid disappointment. One place that had the book recently is Awareness Place Bookshop in Bras Basah Complex: 6337.7582 – 11.30am-7.30pm.

      VSS Social Luncheon – Sunday, 18 December

      Please take this opportunity to meet fellow vegetarians and supporters of vegetarianism. Plus, hear Richard Seah, a macrobiotic guru, give a 20min talk on how to balance the Yin and Yang of vegetarian diets.

      Details at: http://www.vegetarian-society.org/revamp/html/index.php?module=PostCalendar&func=view&tplview=default&viewtype=month&Date=20051201&pc_username=&pc_category=&pc_topic=

      Other News

      Inventor of the Word ‘Vegan’ Passes Away

      In 1944, Donald Watson (1910-2005) helped found the Vegan Society in London and coined the word ‘vegan.’ This month, he passed away: http://www.vegansociety.com/html.

      Why Some Buddhists Aren’t Vegetarian

      The stereotype is that if you’re Buddhist, you must be a vegetarian. But many Buddhists do eat meat, at least some of the time. Here are some web locations where this issue is explored: http://www.moonpointer.com/index.php?itemid=166&catid=4, http://www.moonpointer.com/index.php?catid=4&blogid=1, http://www.kmspks.org/articles/vege.htm.

      [Reminders: (1) VSS is a steadfastly non-religious organization. (2) Vegetarians can be found among members of all the world’s major religions.]

      Beta Carotene and Longevity

      A study recently published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition suggests that beta carotene consumption can help maintain good health among the older part of the population. The 10-year study analyzed data pertai ning to lifestyle and dietary influence on health from over 1,100 European women and men between the ages of 70 and 75. Read the article’s abstract at http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/82/4/879?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=2005+plasma+levels+of+alpha+and+beta-carotene+&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1132274417012_22241&stored_search=&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=1&journalcode=ajcn.

      Beta carotene is a nutrient found in plants that the body uses to make vitamin A. It occurs mainly in deeply colored fruits and vegetables, such as spinach, collard or mustard greens, broccoli, carrots, squash, peaches, apricots, and sweet potatoes.

      Also on the topic of longevity, the November issue of National Geographic looks at longevity and features the Seventh-Day Adventists in California , many of whom are vegetarians or meat reducers: http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0511/feature1/index.html. Unfortunately, only a taste of the article is available for free on-line.

      Talk on Enzyme Drinks

      Saturday, 3 Dec, 3pm to 4:15pm, True Health is sponsoring at talk (English and Mandarin) on Enzyme Drinks at Church of St. Peter & Paul (225A Queen St), Room 8. The talk covers:

      • What are enzymes?
      • Functions of enzymes in your body
      • Sources of enzymes
      • Homemade enzyme drinks with demo
      • Enzyme drink tasting

      The speaker, Mr Ann Wee Kuang, was owner and chef of a healthy vegetarian restaurant in Malaysia . He frequently acts as chef for various health and detox retreats. The talk is free (donations appreciated). All are welcome. To register, email truehealth_spp@... with your name, contact and number of seats.

      How I Became a Vegetarian

      Please send your story, with or without your name, to info@... .

      For the first 37 years of my life, chicken and pork were must haves on my lunch and dinner table. Plenty of fish was also a must have.

      That all changed in April of this year when I decided to go vegetarian. Switching to vegetarianism was the second drastic decision that I’ve made in my life. The first drastic decision was to marry my wife. If my decision to go vegetarian works out as well as my decision to marry my wife, I’ll be a very happy chap.

      What made me decide to make the big move to veg? It started when I read a lot about healing via macrobiotic food. This started me thinking that eating animals is no good. Nevertheless, I continued to eat meat, but on a smaller scale.

      What finally led me to go 100% vegetarian was that in April 2005, I decided to study more about Buddhism which, like other religions, teaches mercy and compassion. Within days, I made a strong vow to become vegetarian for the sake of a healthier life style and to show compassion towards all sentient beings.

      It is now about seven months since I became vegetarian, and I never regretted my second drastic decision. I hope that more and more humans realise that we no longer need to depend on food from animals to survive.

      Let us give our fellow animals a chance to live, just as we humans deserve a chance to live. Can we do that, please?

      --Lim Koon Yuen, accounts manager