VSS eNewsletter 27 October 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2005

      VSS eNewsletter 27 October 2005

      www.vegetarian-society.org

      Happy Deepavali and Hari Raya Puasa!!

      VSS News

      Workshop: Organic Recipes for Inside Out Beauty

      Have a Look at the Decal

      Vegetarian Society at Great World City Fri & Sat

      VSS Exco Member Joins IVU Council

      Writing to the Newspapers

      Letter to Straits Times

      Other News

      Talk and Video on Vegetarianism and the Environment

      The Vegetarian Advantage: Talk and Health Screening

      “Animals in a horror world of our making”

      Thanksgiving from the Turkey’s Point of View

      Cheap and Good: Cabbage

      From Yale University Press

      VSS News

      Workshop: Organic Recipes for Inside Out Beauty

      Awareness Place bookshop is sponsoring a workshop featuring recipes from the VSS cookbook, “New Asian Traditions”: http://www.awarenessplace.com/activities/whaton.htm#.

      The workshop, led by VSS cookbook author Sue Amy, is on Sunday, 30 Oct, 3.30-5.30, at Awareness Place in the Bras Basah Complex, #03-39, 6337.7582. Price is $18 for Awareness Place members and $28 for non-members. Meet cookbook author Susan Amy!

      Have a Look at the Decal

      In our last issue, you heard about the eye-appealing, heart-revealing decal with pictures of various of our fellow animals – cat, chicken, cow, etc. – and the slogans “Love Us, Not Eat Us” and “All Lives Are Precious.” The decal is suitable for cars, motorcycles, walls, doors, windows, or wherever else you may be inspired to place them. Produced in Singapore as a gift by a vegetarian, the decal is being distributed in at least 4 other countries.

      Now you can see and read about the decal at http://www.loveusnoteatus.com.

      In Singapore , you can obtain a free decal (donations welcome, but not required) at the VSS events listed in this eNewsletter. The decal is only applicable to very smooth surfaces such as glass, wall tiles, fine finish plastic and etc. If the surface is too rough for the decal to hold, you may try using Blu tack or double-sided tape. One way to put the decal on a wall like a picture is to stick it to the back of a piece of clear Perspex and then mount the perspex.

      Vegetarian Society at Great World City Fri & Sat

      This Fri and Sat, 28-29 Oct, from 10am-8pm, VSS with have a table at the Mums and Kids Fair in the Atrium of Great World City. Please stop by. Maybe you’d like to help with distributing flyers, VCDs, decals, and the overall veg message. The VSS cookbook will also be on sale for less than the bookshop price.

      VSS Exco Member Joins IVU Council

      VSS Education Officer, Loh Yeow Nguan, has been selected to join the International Council of IVU (International Vegetarian Union): http://www.ivu.org/members/council/contacts.html.

      Writing to the Newspapers

      We need to make our voices heard. One way is to write to the forum pages of the various newspapers. You can send your letters by email. Here are email addresses for some of the papers:

      Berita Harian:        aadeska@...

      Lianhe Zaobao:      zblocal@...

      Straits Times:        stforum@...

      Tamil Murasu:        blatha@...

      The New Paper:     tnp@...

      Today:                  news@...

      You may want to supply your full name, IC, address, and phone number. Women need to identify themselves as Ms, Mdm, Mrs, or Dr. Also, on some newspapers’ websites you can find places to discuss the news online.

      Letter to Straits Times

      Here is one letter sent to The Straits Times, but not yet published.

      Dear Editor

      The Pandemic: A Long-Term and Tasty Solution

       In the past, when epidemics broke out at animal farms, millions of animals were culled, and imports from affected countries were banned, threate ning Singapore ’s food supply. Our dependence on meat as a source of food was already proving to be unreliable.

      Now, with 150 million human lives at risk, the looming bird flu pandemic threatens to be worse than SARS, the tsunami, the hurricanes, World War II: even worse than all of them put together. And, what about its effect on the world economy?

      Even if the current pandemic threat fades away this time round, such threats will arise time and again as long as a high demand for meat exists and necessitates intensive animal farming. This is because intensive farming conditions are ideal for viruses to flourish and evolve. The necessary widespread use of antibiotics eliminates weaker viruses, leaving the strongest to evolve, possibly into deadly strains. The mechanics of such epidemics and pandemics show that meat has become a dangerous source of food for the world. Do we want to continue living with such threats for the rest of our lives? Clearly, we need to move away from dependence on meat as a source of food.

      The root of this humongous problem is not in any virus and certainly not in the chickens and other birds, who are the innocent, helpless, voiceless victims. The root lies in our misconception: the long-held, widespread, deeply ingrained misconception that meat is “necessary and desirable”, a misconception that I discovered 18 years ago when I too was a meat lover, a misconception that now threatens the world.

      Singapore has what it takes to move away from dependence on meat as a food source. We have the talent to make more healthy meatless food taste good. Devagi Sanmugam, a local food consultant and cookbook author, is one such talent who will be glad to show how this can be done. We have the multicultural diversity and vibrant people to continue making Singapore a food hub. Our small, closely-knit population, excellent infrastructure, and open communication lines enable rapid changes. Our leaders have a vision of a city of excellence. We have what it takes; Singapore can be an example to the world of how a country addresses an urgent global problem with a long-term solution. But we all need to understand and act together. Both consumers and suppliers of healthy, tasty food need to move the demand and supply up together.

      We can enjoy food and life without meat. In fact we will be enjoying the pleasures of food in a true way, with respect for life.

      Other News and Events

      Talk and Video on Vegetarianism and the Environment

      All are welcome on Sat, 5 Nov, when True Health, a Catholic organization that promotes a healthy, responsible lifestyle, including vegetarianism, is sponsoring a talk and video scree ning on how eating less meat decreases the burden we place on the environment. The video, Devour the Earth, is narrated by Paul McCartney. Unfortunately, Sir Paul won’t be giving the talk; a VSS member will.

      The venue is the Church of St. Peter and Paul, 3rd floor chapel. The talk and video begin at 3pm, and at 2pm, there is a separate meditation session in the Adoration Room. To register, please E-mail truehealth_spp@... indicates your name, contact and number of seats. All are most welcome, regardless of religion.

      The Vegetarian Advantage: Talk and Health Screening

      On Sun, 30 Oct, Adventist Community Services and Youngberg Wellness Centre (YWC) are organizing a full mor ning of events, featuring Dr Clarence Ing, MD, from the NEWSTART programme in California : http://www.newstart.com. The mor ning starts at 8am with a chargeable health scree ning and healthy breakfast. These are followed at 9.30 by a free cooking demo and at 10.45 by Dr Ing’s free talk “The Vegetarian Advantage.”

      Dr Ing will also be conducting an all-day cholesterol reduction programme on Thur, 3 November. The venue for both days is YWC, 798 Thomson Road . For details and to register, contact John Cheang: 9674.2512, johncheang@....

      “Animals in a horror world of our making”

      So reads the headline on an opinion piece in the Sydney Mor ning Herald of 24 October, 2005. Here’s the entire piece:

      http://www.smh.com.au/news/paul-sheehan/animals-in-a-horror-world-of-our-making/2005/10/23/1130006000217.html

      Thanksgiving from the Turkey’s Point of View

      The last Thur in November, in the US , is the Thanksgiving holiday, during which turkey flesh is typically eaten. The animated cartoon below, via one of the online greeting card companies, is a musical, disco version of what turkeys might say about the event: http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/view.pd?i=382219626&m=1652&rr=y&sou.

      Cheap and Good: Cabbage

      Sometimes the vegetable selection at veggie hawker stalls isn’t all that great, but they do often have cabbage. Here’s an article about the health advantages of cabbage and other brassica vegetables: http://www.naturalfoodsmerchandiser.com/ASP/articleDisplay.asp?strArticleId=1575&strSite=NFMSite. Cauliflower and broccoli are also in the brassica family.

      From Yale University Press

      Based on the author’s own experiences inside a poultry processing plant, the new book Chicken: The Dangerous Transformation of America ’s Favorite Food, by Steven Striffler, offers a powerful indictment of our industrial food system, showing how the process of bringing chicken to the dinner table is unhealthy for all concerned, from chicken to farmer to factory worker to consumer.

      Read an excerpt.