VSS eNewsletter 9 July 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2005

      VSS eNewsletter 9 July 2005

      www.vegetarian-society.org

      Please Register Today for Vega Fiesta
      http://www.singaporemeatout.org/vegareg.doc

      In this issue

      Vega Fiesta – Mass Walk Goodie Bag a $25+ Value

      Some Singapore Meatout Week Highlights

      My Favourite Veg Outlet

      How I Try to Convince Others to Eat Less Meat – Moby

      Vega Fiesta – Mass Walk Goodie Bag a $25+ Value

      The first 500 people to register for the Mass Walk (flagged off by Mr Mah Bow Tan) – part of the Vega Fiesta on Sun, 31 July, at Tampines East CC – are eligible for a goodie bag worth more than $25 in products and vouchers.

      Don’t miss out on this meatout special offer! Go to www.singaporemeatout.org/news.html now to find out more.  The registration form is at http://www.singaporemeatout.org/vegareg.doc.

      Plus, there will be valuable prizes given away during the Vegetarian Food Fair after the Mass Walk. That’s not to mention the great food, contests, health screening and health talks.

      Some Singapore Meatout Week Highlights

      Here’s a calendar of some of the highlights of Singapore Meatout Week 2005. We’ll have a more complete calendar in next week’s VSS eNewsletter.

      Date

      Time

      Venue

      Event

      23rd July

      2pm - 4pm

      Buona Vista CC

      Wellness Seminar: “The Choices We Make Today Create Our Reality Tomorrow”

      *presented by the VSS Education Officer

      28th July

      7.30pm – 9.30pm

      Buona Vista CC

      Healthy Cooking Workshop:

      “Flavours of South East Asia ”

      *Learn how to convert your favourite Bak Kut Teh, Cuttle Fish Kangkong etc into animal-friendly dishes (while still preserving the original flavour)!

      30th July

      6.30pm – 9.30pm

      Yogi Hub

      Healthy Social Dinner

      “A Race of Life”

      *Try healthy and brilliantly creative vegetarian dishes that you don’t get out there

      31st July

      8am – 6pm

      Tampines East CC

      Grand Finale Carnival cum Food Fair:“Vega Fiesta”

      *Mr Mah Bow Tan invited as Guest-of-Honour; there will be loads of fun, healthy foods, health screening and informative seminars and forums

      Details for all these events can be found on VSS Event Webpage (http://www.vegetarian-society.org/revamp/html/index.php?module=Postcalendar)

      My Favourite Veg Outlet

      We in Singapore are fortunate to live in a place with so many vegetarian food outlets. Maybe we even have too many, because some of them don’t have enough customers to stay in business.

      Help out your favourite veg outlet. Write a short note (about 100 words) about it to be published here, in this eNewsletter. Tell everyone why you like the place so much. What’s especially tasty, especially health or especially good value for money? Be a VSS food correspondent. Write to info@... and tell us where to find the:

      best laksa

      best salads

      best brown rice set

      most friendly organic store

      most exotic dishes.

      best hawker centre

      best ambience

      hottest buffet deals

      most noble intentions, etc.

      How I Try to Convince Others to Eat Less Meat - Moby

      Moby is a vegetarian and a musician whose records have sold millions and who has performed for billions, including at the closing ceremonies of the 2002 Winter Olympics. To win over the meateaters in his audience, Moby uses his music and other methods: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2005/05/11/gree.DTL. In addition to the words of his songs, he included a booklet on why to go meatless with his CDs, opened a vegetarian tea shop and published a book.

      What about you? Few of us have the clout of someone like Moby, but what do you do and say to influence others to reduce their meat consumption and thereby enter the virtuous circle of kindness to our own health, to our fellow animals, to the environment, and to people without enough to eat? Does what you do to convince others actually seem to work? Please send your ideas and experiences to info@... .