VSS eNewsletter 17 April 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17, 2005

      VSS eNewsletter 17 April 2005

      www.vegetarian-society.org

      In this issue

      How to Subscribe to This e-Newsletter
      Shan You Counselling Centre
      The New Paper Big Walk
      Detox Seminar Adds Follow-up Workshop
      Reminders
      Why I Stopped Being a Vegetarian

      How to Subscribe to This e-Newsletter
      We now have almost 2200 subscribers to this e-Newsletter. Let's see if we can reach 3000 by year's end. The newsletter serves two main purposes: a) shares activities, information, news, ideas and inspiration with those who are already vegetarians or meat-reducers; b) offers a taste of the possible future to those who haven't yet stepped out on the path.

      With VSS' new website, the steps for subscribing are:

      1. Go to the VSS website: www.vegetarian-society.org
      2. In the left frame, near the bottom, click on Mailing List
      3. Enter your email address in the yellow box
      4. You will receive an email from Yahoo asking you to confirm that you indeed want to be part of this email group
      5. Reply affirmatively to the email from Yahoo

      Or, just use the link at the bottom of this e-Newsletter. There's also a link there if someone wishes to unsubscribe.

      Shan You Counselling Centre
      VSS is working with Shan You Counselling Centre to encourage people to adopt healthy, compassionate lifestyles, including reducing or stopping the eating of animals. Shan You's contact is: Blk 9, Upper Boon Keng Road , #01-960 S. 380009, Tel: 6741 9293; Email: shanyou@...; Website: www.shanyou.org.sg.

      Shan You's 10th anniversary charity dinner (veg, of course) will be Thur, 16 July: http://www.shanyou.org.sg/Charity%20Dinner.pdf.

      Shan You also offers a range of courses, including a 6-session course, Manage Your Mind: http://www.shanyou.org.sg/courses/Chronic_illness_6_wksp.pdf.

      The New Paper Big Walk
      In 2003, VSS had a contingent of about 25 people in The New Paper Big Walk. Our contingent carried a sign saying Vegetarian Society ( Singapore ), a few us of wore costumes as fruits and vegetables and we all wore hats with fruits and vegetable on top. We attracted a lot of attention from fellow walkers and the media. In all, our contingent helped charity, was fun, gave us some exercise and showed vegetarianism in a positive light.

      We want to take part in this year's Big Walk, 22 May. Stay tuned for details. If you'd like to help organise this year's VSS contingent, pls contact info@....

      Detox Seminar Adds Follow-up Workshop
      Detox seeks to help our bodies heal themselves. On Sat, 23 Apr, 2pm-4.30pm , Ms Sim Nget Seer will offer a free talk on this topic. Ms Sim is a holistic health consultant and therapist. Her qualifications include more than 20 years experience and UK Dip. in Acupressure, Dip. in Aromatherapy and Sport Massage, Dip. in Anatomy, Physiology and Massage.

      The venue is Buona Vista CC, 399, Holland Drive . Organised by VSS and Buona Vista CC Y.E.C. Tel: 67785163, 67774169. Online at http://pa-online.pa.gov.sg/NASApp/maps/online/ccms/common/OCK_Intermediate_A01.jsp?strCCCode=4330&strTransactionCode=CLA.

      The follow-up workshop will be Sat, 7 May at Synbiotics Health Optimum, 15, Stanley St. , 6226-2621 to register. For details, see the calendar on the VSS website and switch from Apr to May: http://www.vegetarian-society.org/revamp/html/index.php?module=PostCalendar&func=view.

      Reminders

      Meatout Planning Meeting
      In Singapore , we're holding Meatout 23-31 July to coincide with the Singapore Food Festival. Want to help? Lots to do! Come to a planning meeting Tues, 19 Apr, 7pm , at 12 Prince Edward Rd, #06-01 , Podium A, Bestway Bldg.

      Directions: A few minutes walk from Tanjung Pagar MRT - take exit D for MAS Bldg and M Hotel. Buses 131, 167, 186, 608, 700, 970, alight at International Plaza, 10 Anson Rd; Buses 10, 70, 75, 97, 100, 107, 130, 162, 196, 400, alight at Apex Tower, 70 Anson Rd.

      'Activate Your Youth Power' Workshop
      Tom Low will be doing one of his popular workshops on Sat, 23 Apr at RELC International Hotel Level 5, Room 503 & 504, 30 Orange Grove Road . See and experience Tom's methods for staying young via vegetarianism.

      Special discount for VSS members: http://www.tomskitchenpharmacy.com/actyouthpower.html or   antiageing@...

      Why I Stopped Being a Vegetarian

      Often, the last item in this e-Newsletter features a story in which someone recounts how they became a vegetarian. However, the sad truth is that the door swings both ways; many people are ex-vegetarians. Madonna is perhaps the best-known example, but there are Singapore examples also.

      We need to understand why people stop being vegetarian so that we can help more people stick with this noble venture. Thus, if you or someone you know is or (better) was an ex-vegetarian (in other words, they came back to being veg again), please send us your/their story: info@.... Thx.