      It's the time of festivities - with Deepavali in our midst, and we hope that the 'festival of lights' will illuminate your understanding on the effort that is needed from human civilisation to ensure the survival and well-being of planet Earth.

      Gangasudhan,
      Communications Officer

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      VSS members enjoy discounts at these fine restaurants and establishments.

      Historic Asian Veg Congress in KL

      The 6th Asian Veg Congress was held at the beginning of October at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Members of the VSS ExCo were involved in giving presentations and two Singaporean sports greats - Desmond Koh (3-time Olympic Swimmer) and M Rameshon (Record-holding Marathoner), were on a panel to discuss sport and veg plant-based nutrition at a forum. The heavy involvement of the Malaysian Ministry of Health (which is helmed by a vegetarian) was notable, with the deputy minister revealing that a meatless day was being considered for Malaysia. Over 200 MOH staff were involved in the congress as participants, and the director of the Nutrition Division spoke on nutrition interventions to boost Malaysians' intake of plant foods.

      As a result of the massive response at the congress which saw more than 1,000 people attend the first two days with more than 10,000 at the food fair on the third day, the Malaysia Vegetarian Society (MVS) has now been invited by the MOH to help develop Nutritional Guidelines for Vegetarians in Malaysia.

      The VSS is excited by the developments north of the causeway, and aspires to eventually emulate this level of progress locally in Singapore.

      VSS Welcomes New Corporate Member: Lin's Smoodees

      A popular among the veg community, LINS Smoodees has joined the VSS as a corporate member and we are in discussion to negotiate some good discounts for our ordinary members. We are indeed pleased to have LINS Smoodees onboard and look forward to collaborating with its founder, Adeline, on many more projects to come.

      You can find out more about this smoothie connoisseur at http://www.linssmoodees.com/ or https://www.facebook.com/linssmoodees, or simply drop by their outlet at China Square Central (located at Cross Street) #B1-02.

      Launch of Cook, Eat Love with Sarab

      Sarab Kapoor, author of Om Cooking, a compilation of over 300 vegetarian recipes for Chinmaya Mission, and chef-host of hit vegetarian cooking show Cook Love Eat with Sarab which is shown on ZeeTV, has just published her latest recipe book of the same name, inspired by the show. The official launch was held in October and more information can be found at https://www.facebook.com/CookLoveEat.

      Classes by Nutrihub Culinary Art

      Vinitha Ang of Nutrihub is organizing a special class on raw Christmas patisserie to help you prepare for the year-end festivities. The Raw Vegan Delicacies (listed below) that will be taught are low in calories, gluten free, diary free, nutrient-dense, and infused with high antioxidants.

      1. Vegan Strawberry Cheesecake

      2. "No Bake" Macaroon

      3. Diary free Homemade Chocolate

      The class will be conducted at the Chef Cookery Studio located at Crawford Lane, near Lavender MRT station, on 13 Nov 2013 (from 7pm to 9pm). To register, please contact Raymond at 62993653 or 97514643.

      Help with Research on Veg Pregnancy

      An overseas student reached out the VSS to ask if we could help with a thesis survey she was doing. While not much information was provided, the study on vegetarian pregnancy and the impact to mother and baby definitely seems interesting. If you have some time to spare, do hop over to the following link and share your thoughts - it's a 15-question MCQ type survey which is quite straightforward.

      https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1DIAVF15yMP-Cxb24WDWnCJldYKRQQ7Hrem8YPxYfM6A/viewform

      LivinGreens Returns

      The well-received LivinGreens restaurant which was formerly based at Beach Road for a number of years has now been reopened at a new location, still under the watchful eyes of its founder Barbara. A place worthy of support and patronage, there is no doubt that many of us will look forward to revisiting the wonderful dishes prepared carefully and thoroughly there.

      The new location is at 89 Rangoon Rd, Urban Lofts #01-04, Singapore 218375. You can contact Barbara directly at barbara@... or 98574881, for more information.

      Join VSS and enjoy great discounts on all our events,
      plus many other benefits!

      To unsubscribe from this newsletter, click here.

      p.s. - Please share the VSS eNewsletter with family, friends and colleagues.
      That’s how we convince more people to eat less or no meat!

      Disclaimer: The information provided in this Newsletter is solely for the consideration of the subscribers, and does not constitute an endorsement
      by VSS.

      Read back issues at: http://www.vegetarian-society.org/index.php?q=taxonomy/term/3.