      We hope Valentine's Day was filled with love for those closest to your heart, and ask you to extend that love into compassion for both man and beast across the globe.

      Gangasudhan,
      Operations Coordinator

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      VSS members enjoy discounts at these fine restaurants and establishments.

      VSS AGM Around The Corner

      If you have yet to book your place at the upcoming AGM – which is just a few weeks away, please don't delay and do get involved in building our society. This year, we will be meeting up on 02 Mar 2013 from 3.30pm to 6.00pm at Kampung Senang Holistic Lifestyle Centre again, located at Blk 106 Aljunied Crescent #01-205. Similar to last year's event, our AGM will be followed by a delicious (complimentary) dinner spread from the Kampung Senang Kitchen. We are hoping for many to be present this year so that fresh ideas and eager passion can be added to the stable of dedicated volunteers who do so much for our community and the cause. In addition, this year will likely be a milestone where our long-serving president, Dr George Jacobs, and other VSS Exco members hand over the reins to a new leader. For more information and to register your attendance, please drop us an email events@....

      Antioxidant 7 - Weight Control Naturally

      The incidence of people being overweight or obese has been rising dramatically, prompting many to embark on weight-loss programmes without much success. This seminar looks beyond diet and exercise, and probes into the finer points of nutrition, food cravings, liver health and how the compounding effects of toxins in our bodies contributes to excess weight. The right foods can not only help us to reduce our weight, but also to cleanse our bodies, build our muscles and boost our energy levels for a vibrant life.

      Conducted by the Senior Executive of Education and Outreach at Kampung Senang Charity and Education Foundation, Yeow (Loh Yeow Nguan) has developed talks and educational programmes for schools and has conducted numerous workshops for many institutions and private companies. He is also a former triathelete with a carotenoid antioxidant score of 85,000, which is testimony to how healthy his diet has been.

      Date: 09 Mar 2013, 1:30pm to 3:30pm
      Location: Kampung Senang HLC – Blk 106 Aljunied Crescent #01-205
      Fee: $40 per person (Special Offer of $50 for 2 persons registering together)
      Class size is limited to 40 participants and those interested are advised to register early by making a bank transfer to DBS current account 106-900562-0. Please email finance@... with the transaction reference number or call 6749 8509 to confirm the registration.

      Video on Brownice Visit

      A couple of enterprising and passionate veg-lovers, Kelson and Rain, have produced a nice video chronicling their adventure to Brownice ice-cream parlour at Sin Ming. The footage and interview with the brand's owner, Denise, was taken during the Veg Meetup Group's outing recently. The idea is to create a series of videos showcasing local veg eateries and businesses so that more members of the community can find out about them and be inspired to support. Please click on the following link to watch the very first video of this series: http://youtu.be/vMKe1IcPxDI

      Ami's Veggie Heart – Classes for February

      If you would like to learn how to cook a wholesome vegetarian meal, then Ami's Veggie Heart's Indian Vegetarian Cooking Classes might be just the thing for you this month.

      19 Feb (Tue), 10:30am to 12:30am
      Soy curry/Soy Vegetable
      Salad/Raita
      Rice

      23 Feb (Sat), 10:30am to 12:30am
      Tofu Curry
      Vegetable Pulao
      Raita
      Salad

      To register, please send an email to ami@... or call 91446105. Do sign up at least 3 days ahead to guarantee a seat. Fees of $75 are payable in cash during the session. Custom requirements or special requests can be made to Ami at the above email or phone number.

      Retreat at Tanjung Sutera Resort

      If you're looking to relax in the serenity of nature with some kampung ambience, then Tanjung Sutera's (located along the east coast of Johor) 5D4N package from 17 Mar to 21 Mar might just be the thing for you.

      The package includes a holistic detox elements such as:
      - Specially planned living foods and smoothies for meals
      - Talks and sharing on antioxidants, how to detoxify safely, importance of coconut juice, application of coconut oils, earthing and self massaging
      - Gentle Detox Yoga Session
      - Healing Codes Workshop
      - Complimentary 14-day follow-up detox package consisting of Omvib Probiotics, Vital Complex for lymph cleansing, and Omvib Phyto Complex for colon cleansing (package worth $85 formulated by medical doctor Huang Ding Ying)

      Seats for this package are limited and will be reserved on a first-come-first-served basis. The fee for this retreat package is S$549 but promotional prices are available at S$499 for members and early bird registration (before 18 Feb) and S$485 for students below 16 years of age. (Package price does not include transportation to the resort).

      To register or get more information, please contact Eco-Harmony (Kampung Senang) at 6749 8509 or email event@....

      Don't Be Hard On Flexitarians

      While most of us strive to be free of animal cruelty on our conscience, there are many factors which prevent some of our brethren from following such a disciplined lifestyle. Thus we should strive to encourage others who make the effort to reduce meat consumption instead of judging them for 'falling short of the ideal'. The following article discusses the emerging trend of flexitarianism (or 'vegivore'):

      "A flexitarian ("flexible vegetarian", interchangeable with "vegivore") is defined as: "one whose normally meatless diet occasionally includes meat or fish". The concept is booming in the US. Pat Crocker and Nettie Cronish, authors of Everyday Flexitarian, estimate that 30 to 40 per cent of Americans are flexitarians, while a survey by the Vegetarian Research Group found that 23 million people follow a "vegetarian-inclined diet", compared to 7.3 million full-time veggies.”

      Read the full story at http://www.dnaindia.com/lifestyle/report_can-t-leave-non-veg-be-a-flexitarian-nearly-vegetarians_1792294

      Horsemeat in Beefburger Doesn't Affect Vegetarians

      The recent revelation by Republic of Ireland's food safety authority (FSAI) that the beefburger produced by 3 processing plants contained up to 29% of horsemeat, is certainly cause for concern to the general public. While the gross misrepresentation would bother most of us too since we are animal lovers as well, the (relatively) good news is that vegetarians do not have to worry if their broccoli has 29% cauliflower in them, or if their potato has tapioca DNA in it.

      The full story on the controversy can be read at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21034942

      8D Taiwan Vegetarian Greenery Tour

      Violet Lee is once again organising a holistic tour to Taiwan and this time, the adventure will be to see more greenery sites. As she describes, "The importance of travelling is to retain that happy moment in the memory, taking off your shoes to dance with the nature while enjoying healthy vegetarian meals, and opening your heart to the local culture and be part of their happiness."

      The tour includes DIY farming activities, homestay (twin-sharing), tours to several organic farms, DIY handicraft activities, a lake cruise and a river cruise.

      The price for the tour has been set at S$1,850 per person and includes airfare and accommodation. For more details, please contact Dion at 98712023 or Violet at 90065525 and violet_lyh@....

      Join VSS and enjoy great discounts on all our events,
      plus many other benefits!

      To unsubscribe from this newsletter, click here.

      p.s. - Please share the VSS eNewsletter with family, friends and colleagues.
      That’s how we convince more people to eat less or no meat!

      Disclaimer: The information provided in this Newsletter is solely for the consideration of the subscribers, and does not constitute an endorsement
      by VSS.

      Read back issues at: http://www.vegetarian-society.org/index.php?q=taxonomy/term/3.