VSS eNewsletter 18 October 2012

(504)
  • Vegetarian Society (Singapore)
    Oct 17, 2012 Expand Messages

      Get Involved in the National Conversation

      Oil-Free Cooking Party at Zen Xin

      Upcoming Book Launch Events

      VSS Mailbox: Don’t Forget Animal Suffering

      GENERAL NEWS

      Successful Introduction of Veg Meals at Korean School

      The Veg School English Classes

      Bruce Springsteen Still Going Strong on a Vegan Diet

      Nutrihub Culinary Art – October classes

      Classes by Little Green Cafe

      Chef Halimah's Classes for November

      Latest Book by Our Place International

      The VSS is proud to announce the publication of The Heart-Smart Oil-Free Cookbook which is out in bookstores now. If you would like to support the work we do, please consider purchasing directly from us at one of the many book launch events that have been lined up so that most of the proceeds will go to the VSS funds directly.

      Gangasudhan,
      Operations Coordinator

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      VSS members enjoy discounts at these fine restaurants and establishments.

      Get Involved in the National Conversation

      With government adopting a multi-pronged approach to engaging the hearts and minds of the people of Singapore, we must not forget to include animal compassion, environmentalism and other benefits of vegetarianism. If you have strong views about these topics, do consider helping to raise the awareness by getting involved in the National Conversation. There are 3 ways to get involved - which are:

      a) online interaction via the committee's website, www.oursgconversation.sg, & Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/OurSGConversation;

      b) citizens' dialogue sessions where 50 to 150 people gather to share their views with smaller facilitated group dialogue sessions comprising 8 to 10 people per group for a richer and deeper discussion; and,

      c) national survey which is targeted at 3,000 to 4,000 Singaporeans (probably towards the end of the year)

      You can visit the links above to participate or write to voices@... to participate in the dialogue sessions.

      Oil-Free Cooking Party at Zen Xin

      Healthfriend and Zen Xin Organic are organizing a 'cooking party' this Saturday (20 Oct) to share some recipes on oil-free cooking, such as Dragonfruit Delight, Oatmeal Maple, Pineapple Paradise and Quinoa Taboulleh. The cost is $20 per person and the session will last from 12pm to 3pm at the Zen Xin outlet at Pasir Panjang Wholesale Centre. For more information and to register, please email ceri@....

      Upcoming Book Launch Events

      Hot on the heels of the exciting book launch event at DOODLE! Last Saturday (13 Oct 2012), here are some of the other events that have been lined up in conjunction with the VSS's latest publication - The Heart-Smart Oil-Free Cookbook! Do register early to avoid disappointment (there were quite a number of people that we had to turn down for the DOODLE! event!

      4 Oct 2012, 2.00-3.30pm
      WINGS - Women's Initiative for Ageing Successfully

      9 Bishan Place,
      Junction 8 Office Tower #06-05,
      Singapore 579837

      Register with cynthia@... or call 62501012
      for more details.

      6 Oct 2012, 3.00pm
      Select Bookstore

      51 Armenian Street
      Tel: 6337 9319

      *Registration not required

      3 Nov 2012, 2.30-4.00pm
      Brahm Centre, Ren Ci Hospital

      71 Irrawaddy Road #02-06

      Register withcentredirector@...
      or 62580831 for more details

      10 Nov 2012, 2.00-3.00 pm
      Programme Zone, Toa Payoh Public Library

      For more information, please visit
      http://golibrary.nlb.gov.sg/Programmes/
      Wellness/44408/Heart_Tips_and_Healthy_Oil_
      Free_Recipes_.aspx

      *No registration required

      17 Nov 2012, 2.00-3.00pm
      Kinokuniya

      Ngee Ann City, Takashimaya Shopping Centre
      391 Orchard Road #03-09

      *No registration required

      VSS Mailbox: Don’t Forget Animal Suffering

      A reader wrote in to express their heartfelt opinions on animal suffering (in addition to animal killing):

      Dear VSS, I am very happy with your services. However the awareness also needs to focus on cows that have been used as machine in factories to extract milk from them. I also heard that the calves are given tin milk anddon’t have the chance to drink from their mother.

      I know the current world is all about money. And there is no more value for livings things such animals, birds and marine life.

      Even at the bureaucratic level, injustice has been inflicted on these animals as government officers are mostly non-vegetarian and prefer to being keep quiet.

      What we can do? These harsh words are for those eating meat. However, if the world leaders don't bother and most of them even enjoy eating meat with public/ TV recording, then how?

      The perception needs to change and humans should know that animals are livings things also and so have flesh and skin. Not food.

      Thanks and Radhe Krishna
      Devi Mathaji, Radhe Krishna Mission

      While we certainly agree that animal suffering is no less significant than animal slaughter (some may even argue the former is worse), changing perception has always been a slow and painstaking process. Right now, we are heartened to note that awareness of animal suffering (and how our dietary choices impact this) is very high among vegetarians, vegans and non-vegetarians alike.

      We advocate using a step-by-step approach in communicating the message and sharing the knowledge - namely, begin by creating awareness of the plight of animals and ask people to help by reducing their meat consumption. Then, as they appreciate and value their contribution to making the world a little bit better, we can encourage them to build on their success and achieve more.

      In time, we are confident that the majority (if it has not already happened) will be onboard the cause to reduce animal suffering and slaughter and put in their fair share to help heal our planet. Till then, we are privileged to have people like Devi Mathaji - and the countless others who invest their time and energy - to keep pushing this information to the society at large.

      If you would like to get more involved in this noble cause, do feel free to explore possibilities with us by touching base with us at info@....

      Successful Introduction of Veg Meals at Korean School

      A project started by Daegu Metropolitan Office of Education in Korea, supported by many experts like neurosurgeon Hwang Seong-su (also known as the 'Vegetarian evangelist'), saw students from one school being served brown rice with side dishes made up of a variety of vegetables and tofu. 22 teachers also participated in the project and shared a separate 'vegetarian cafeteria' with strong support from the school's principal who has been a vegetarian for 10 years. The school - Young-jin High School - had already been providing students with vegetarian meals once a week before this 'experiment'. In all, 34 volunteers succeeded in sticking to exclusively vegetarian diets for 103 days and the school awarded them with certificates.

      The school opened an essay contest on the participating students' experiences with vegetarianism and had the students' experiences reflected on their grade reports. Many of the participants reported both physical and mental benefits from the experience as well as a change in perception regarding the vegetarian diet.

      Certainly something for schools in Singapore to explore and the VSS is only happy to facilitate such an endeavour. Please contact info@... if you would like to explore replicating this initiative in your school.

      The Veg School English Classes

      The Veg School aims to teach how to adopt a healthier and more balanced plant based diet, and offers 4 levels of awareness and knowledge. The second series of English classes will be commencing on 20 Oct and the following is the line-up:

      20th Oct 2012 @ Fruit Room, Hort Park
      Level 1 - The Basics of Healthy Diet ($60)

      17th Nov 2012 @ Fruit Room, Hort Park
      Level 2 - Organic Living ($75)

      9th March 2013 @ Imagination Room, NLB
      Level 3 - Detoxification and Biogenic Living ($90)

      April (date & venue TBA)
      Level 4 - Vegetarian Healing ($100)

      If all level classes are taken as package, there is a promotional price of $250 only. For more information and registration details, please visit http://thevegschool.net/courses-schedule.

      Bruce Springsteen Still Going Strong on a Vegan Diet

      An icon of the music industry, Bruce Springsteen credits his fitness at age 63 - and still doing live shows - to his mostly-vegetarian diet and a regular fitness routine. Read more about yet another celebrity who has turned towards vegetarianism as a means to stay fit and healthy at
      http://www.examiner.com/article/bruce-springsteen-
      turns-63-his-age-defying-diet-and-workout-secrets

      Nutrihub Culinary Art – October classes

      Here's the latest class list from Vinitha, formerly of Nutrihub Fusion Café.

      Sat 20 Oct from 3pm to 6pm
      "Healthy Living - NutriDessert & Dim Sum" class

      Sat 3 Nov from 1.30pm to 5pm
      "Healthy Living - NutriMeal" - Homecooked 1-dish-meal cooking class

      Sat 10 Nov from 1.30pm to 5pm
      "Healthy Living - NutriMeal" - Japanese vegan cuisine class

      More details are available at http://www.nutrihub.blogspot.com/, including customized private classes dedicated for individual / group / corporate. Please contact Vinitha Ang at 92368402 for enquiry and registration.

      Classes by Little Green Cafe

      Chef Shalu has an exciting line-up of cooking classes for October and November, including festive cooking and Indian cuisine. Currently, she is offering a special discount for VSS members at $50 (instead of the usual rate of $75) - classes marked with an asterisk (*) qualify.

      25 Oct, 7-10pm: Tasty Tapas
      Entertain in style by learning some tasty tapas. Mouth-watering but simple to prepare, these hors d'oeuvres will surely impress your guests and add some fun to pre-dinner cocktails!

      Menu: Wasabi pea fritters, Sesame sweet potato wedges w/curried peanut sauce, Spinach & potato croquettes w/roasted tomato salsa

      28 Oct, 10am-1pm: Brunch at home
      Love going out for Sunday brunch? How about doing at home for a change? Chef Shalu will teach you how to re-create sweet and savoury brunch favourites that will make you the perfect weekend host!

      Menu: Scrummy crumpets w/ roasted beetroot and goat's cheese, Sweet potato & basil cakes w/tzatiki, Orange-ricotta pancakes w/toasted almonds

      *29 Oct, 2-5pm: Indian vegetarian
      Everybody loves Indian food but its often daunting to re-create at home because of the sheer number of spices involved. Let Chef Shalu break it down for you and explain the use of ingredients, spices and techniques. Master the skills of cooking an authentic Indian meal from scratch.

      Menu: Vegetable butter masala (Garden vegetables in a spiced, creamy tomato curry), Classic channa masala (Chick pea curry), Spiced potato cutlets w/coriander chutney

      1 Nov, 7-10pm: Arabian nights
      Join Chef Shalu for a journey to the Middle East where you will learn exotic dishes that will jazz up any meal. Rich, spicy and inviting, these dishes will surely be enjoyed by all and are great centrepieces for a dinner party.

      Menu: Homemade dukkah (Egyptian spice blend used as a dip with olive oil), Baked aubergine mechoui w/spicy mint & chickpea stew, Shakshouka (rich, spicy tomato sauce) with feta

      *6th Nov, 11am-1pm: Southeast Asian cuisine
      Regional cuisine at its best. You will use fresh local ingredients to make 3 different and explosively flavourful Southeast Asian dishes - Singaporean, Thai, Malaysian, Indonesian, or any combination of these. Add some variety to your life!

      Menu: Sambal eggplant (Grilled eggplant in slow-cooked, spicy tomato sauce), Sayur lodeh (Indonesian mild coconut curry with garden vegetables & tofu), Mee goreng (Singapore-style spicy noodles)

      *8th Nov, 2-5pm: Mastering Tofu
      Tofu is often overlooked as most people don’t know how to cook it in a flavourful way. Let Chef Shalu teach you basic techniques on using

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)