      How I Became a Vegan

      21-Day Healthy Challenge in Mandarin

      VSS is changing the schedule of the e-newsletter you are now reading. To devote time to other activities and because of our use of online tools, such as Facebook and Twitter, the VSS E-Newsletter will appear in your Inbox only once a month or perhaps less often.

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      VSS members enjoy discounts at these fine restaurants and establishments.

      VSS AGM

      The VSS Annual General Meeting will be held on Sat, 3 Mar, 3–6pm, at Kampung Senang Holistic Lifestyle Centre, Blk 106, Aljunied Crescent, #01-205, Singapore 380106, 5 mins walk from Aljunied MRT. All attendees will be given a copy of the Annual Report for 2011 and a special door gift.

      You can also download the Annual Report here.

      •  3pm: Registration
      •  Screening of excerpts from the Forks Over Knives documentary.

      Agenda:
      a. President's welcome
      b. Minutes of the 12th AGM
      c. Annual report for 2011
      d. Financial report for 2011
      e. Elect office bearers
      f. Elect 2 honorary auditors
      g. Any other business

      Complimentary meals from Kampung Senang's organic kitchen will be provided after the AGM. To reserve your meal, please RSVP to events@... by Fri, 26 Feb.

      TopTop

      New Corporate Members

      VSS is happy to welcome two new corporate members. The first, El Toro restaurant on Penang Road , is a restaurant that offers Latin cuisine, both vegetarian and non vegetarian: http://www.eltoro.com.sg

      The second new VSS corporate member is probably already known to readers of this e-newsletter. VeganBurg is a vegetarian fast food restaurant, now with two outlets, one near Eunos MRT and, just opened last month, an outlet near Golden Shoe Food Centre: http://www.veganburg.com

      TopTop

      In the Media

      VSS members have been active in writing to local newspapers about issues relevant to our mission: educating the public about the many benefits of eating less or no meat.

      Here are some of our writings that were published:

      http://www.vegetarian–society.org/
      files/20120107STForum.pdf

      http://www.vegetarian–society.org/files/
      20120110TODAY.pdf

      http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120125-
      0000036/Balance–is–key–in–a–good–vegetarian–diet

      Please note that many publications, including print publications, such as Straits Times, also have online venues for readers' comments. We need the pro-veg public to make our voices heard.

      TopTop

      VSS at Animal Welfare Symposioum

      VSS will be on hand at the Singapore Animal Welfare Symposium and Public Forum on Animal Welfare Policies, Sat, 25 Feb, 8am–5pm, Chong Pang CC, 21 Yishun Ring Road, S. 768677. Details at http://www.acres.org.sg/events/2ndforum.html.

      Organised by our friends at ACRES – www.acres.org.sg. Seats are on a first come, first served basis; registration recommended: http://www.acres.org.sg/events/register.html

      TopTop

      World Water Day

      Every year, the United Nations organises World Water Day to focus attention on how precious water is. This year, the theme is on food, including the hidden water in food, for example, everything we eat needed water. However, as the UN points out, some foods use and pollute more water than do other foods. In particular, the "water footprint" of meat tends to be much larger than the water footprint of plant based foods.

      To raise public awareness of the hidden water in food, Veggie Thursday – www.veggiethursday.sg – a project of 25+ local NGOs (including VSS) is holding a dinner on 22 March, World Water Day. Visit the Veggie Thursday website or FB page for details.

      TopTop

      'So Frail and Weak'

      For the VSS eNewsletter, editing duties are shared by Gangasudhan and George Jacobs. Recently, George received the following forwarded email from Shi'an who has at least two things in common with George: both eat plant based diets and both edit enewsletters. The email was sent to Shi'an by someone who is a former vegetarian.

      I saw George Jacobs today. He looks so frail and weak and I think his Vegan diet is not well-balanced enough. However, I consider the odds. I shall stick to more Vegetables and little meat because it's beyond cost, efforts, ability, etc to go back to a Vegetarian diet again. I need to eat and very balance... not easy, look at Jacobs.

      George replied:

      Thanks for forwarding this. Always nice to know how others see you. Pls tell that person I challenge them to a swimming race, a walking race, or a tennis or badminton match. Cheers.

      After a few minutes reflection, George added:

      Actually, what bothers me more than what the comment says about me is what it says about how people think. Do their thoughts bounce around like a ping pong ball, so that when they see a vegan who, according to their definition, is healthy, they think being vegan makes you healthy, and then 10 minutes later, if they see a vegan who doesn't match their definition of healthy, they change their mind and think, "No, being a vegan will make me unhealthy".

      Every five years, people should be required to do a refresher course in the scientific method. [if u don't mind, pls send this along, too. BTW, I'm perfectly happy to let this person remain anonymous. This discussion isn't personal.]

      Later, George's new friend (as the Chinese saying puts it, "If we never fight, how can we ever come to know each other") replied directly to him:

      I understand that Mr. Shi'an had emailed you my comment about you. First of all, I would like to extend my apologies for being rude.

      Secondly, the reason why I am giving up on Vegetarianism is because I am having weak limbs and body. I also do not know what's the best way to go on a Vegetarian diet.

      Due to the push from you and Mr. Shi'an, I decided to give another try on Vegetarianism, but I would urgently need "sample meals" (Chinese ones preferred) to get started. I would like to be a lacto-ovo for the time being. I think not all people are suitable for a vegetarian diet. Please help me reconsider vegetarianism again. Thanks.

      Finally, George replied:

      No offense taken. Indeed, I like it when people are frank.

      I'm very glad that you have decided to give vegetarianism another try. As Shi'an pointed out, everyone is different, although 100s of millions of people in India seem to have done well on vegetarian diets.

      Attached is a list of health professionals who have a special interest in vegetarianism. For their regular fee, they will be happy to help you assess any special needs you might have.

      As to restaurants, firstly, vegetarian food abounds in SG, even at non-veg eateries. Also, many veg stalls offer egg dishes, and dairy products, while not common in Chinese eateries, are readily available at supermarkets, Italian eateries, Indian eateries and sandwich shops.

      Good luck. Feel free to stay in touch. And my offer regarding tennis, etc. still holds. Cheers --george

      BTW, it's very unlikely that anyone has ever described Ganga , the other editor of the VSS enewsletter, as frail and weak.

      TopTop

      VSS Inbox

      1. Recently, someone wrote to VSS asking what our favourite veg restaurant is. Our answer is that we love all veg eateries. From the point of view of the chickens, pigs, cows and our other friends, every veg restaurant in a healthy, happy place, even better if they don't serve eggs and dairy. And, Mother Earth feels the same way.

      If you were not very happy with the food at a veg place where you ate recently, why not make a gentle suggestion to one of the staff or the manager/owner?

      2. Someone else asked about whether beer and other alcoholic beverages are plant based. The answer to that question, like with most food questions, is tricky. Here's the best information source we are aware of: http://www.barnivore.com/#

      TopTop

      Healthy Lifestyle Classes

      Bliss & Wisdom Society will be conducting a series of vegetarian "Healthy Lifestyle Classes cum Cooking" from Mar-Apr in English. The lessons will focus on eco-friendly and healthy lifestyles.

      Dates: All Sundays in Mar and Apr

      Time: 3.30pm to 5pm

      Location: 55A Lorong 27, Geylang (Yes Natural Bakery – 2nd storey), near Aljunied MRT Station.

      Fee: FOC (Deposit of $40 required – refundable after 7 lessons attended)

      Topics: Body and mind wellness, healthy vegan diet, cooking demo, etc.

      Note: Participants are required to bring their own bowl or container for food tasting.

      To register and make enquiries, please contact irissia66@... and kohleeyong@...

      TopTop

      New Classes from Ami's Veggie Heart

      Ami's Veggie Heart is organizing Western cooking classes (soups, salads, dips, spreads) for those of you interested in learning how to prepare simple and healthy vegetarian meals.

      Fri 17th Feb, 11am-1pm
      •  Hearty Minestrone Soup
      •  Quinoa Salad
      •  Corn Fritters

      Tue 21st Feb, 11am-1pm
      •  Couscous Salad Sauteed: Mushrooms, Bell peppers, Eggplant

      Fri 24th Feb, 11am-1pm
      •  Corn Soup
      •  Dips/Spread: Guacamole, Eggplant, Pesto
      •  Corn Fritters

      Tue 28th Feb, 11am-1pm
      •  Vegetable Soup
      •  Corn Salad
      •  Salsa Sauce

      Email ami@... or call 9144.6105 to register for any of the above sessions. Please sign up at least 3 days before to guarantee a seat. If there is demand for a specific menu, additional classes will be added on. Each class will be at SGD $70, payable on that day by cash. If you have a custom requirement for any specific item or menu or for weekend classes, please feel free to contact Ami at the above email or phone number to discuss.

      TopTop

      The Latest from Halimah

      Here's what you need to know about Halimah's next batch of cooking classes.

      Date

      Time

      Lesson
      Description

      Cost

      18
      Feb
      (Sat)

      10am-
      1pm

      Luscious Classic Cakes
      • American Carrot Cake

      • Classic Blackforest Cake

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn how to make two lovely classic cakes that will impress your family!

      18
      Feb
      (Sat)

      2.30-
      5.30pm

      Cupcakes Galore
      • Chocolate Cupcake with Vanilla Cream and Caramel Drizzle

      • Green Tea Cupcakes with Vanilla Cream

      • Banana Split Cupcakes

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn how to make three delicious cupcakes that will wow your family!

      25
      Feb
      (Sat)

      10am-
      1pm

      Going Fruity
      • Fruit Custard Tartlets

      • Apple Blueberry Crumble

      • Banana Chocolate Tart with Caramelized Walnuts

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn how to make three delicious desserts to impress your guests.

      25
      Feb
      (Sat)

      2.30-
      5.30pm

      Vegan Pizza Making Class
      • Basic handmade pizza crust

      • Homemade Pizza Sauce and Cheeze

      • Hawaiian Pizza

      • Almond Spinach Pizza

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn how to make vegan pizza from scratch.

      3
      Mar
      (Sat)

      10am-
      1pm

      Delightful Desserts
      • Rich Mocha Cake with Espresso Frosting

      • Double Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn how to make two delectable cocoa based cakes that will delight your family!

      3
      Mar
      (Sat)

      2.30-
      5.30pm

      Tea, Coffee or Cake?
      • Blueberry Streusel Cake

      • Chocolate Fruit and Nut Cake

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Does tea time feel boring without the slice of heavenly cake? Learn how to make two yummy and moist cakes that will pair nicely with your favorite hot beverage.

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic