Boca Chick'n products

  • RalphB
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 19, 2010
      Its come to my attention that a large amount of products such as Boca brand foods are not necessarily vegan. I thought about this when looking at their spicy chik'n meatless patties. No where on the box does it say vegan, even though there are no indications to it having meat, eggs, or milk. In this case, sugar is uncertain. What other products and brands are like this?
    • tofuschmofu
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 20, 2010
        Boca is confusing! You've got to check each one of their packages each time you buy. It's because they keep changing recipes, sometimes vegan, sometimes not depending on age. There are red box packages made with egg and milk (the oldest); red box packages with vegan stamped on one end of the box (that are vegan); red box packages without vegan stamped on the end but the green vegan logo near the ingredients (that are vegan); and red box packages that don't have egg, but have milk (the newest). The brown boxes don't indicate vegan, you have to check the ingredients.

        The Kellogg owned brands are the same way now! Morningstar Farms crumbles that were vegan have quietly been changed to include egg again. Under the Worthington brand the Chik logs have ALWAYS been vegan, but now they've got milk and egg in them. Gardenburger had dropped egg from everything, but now some have egg and most have milk.

        It seems with the continuing rise in price, and short supply of some vegan ingredients the companies are cutting costs by using the animal based crud they produce under their own corportate umbrella<SIGH>