International Animal Rights Day (IARD) 10th of December. register your participation ... receive free campaign pack

  • colin sky
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16 7:01 PM
      16th October 2009
      Crossposting for UNCAGED

      Dear fellow animal rights advocate

      Be a part of what is presently the only campaign directly promoting legal rights to protect all animals and join a unique international event being marked in towns and cities all over the UK and countries all over the world. This is an event through which fair-minded, compassionate people come together to say the widespread exploitation of billions of animals must cease.

      By joining in with the International Animal Rights Day (IARD) you will help: http://www.uncaged.co.uk/iard.htm

      . Support a campaign that complements each and every other animal rights campaign by laying out the ethical foundation that our movement rests on and making the moral case for why each and every individual area of exploitation of animals should end: be it vivisection, farming, animal circuses, zoos or any other form of animal abuse.
      . Get across to the public and media that human rights and animal rights are entwined - that the golden, historical landmark that was the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on December 10th 1948 should also logically and compassionately be followed with legislation protecting the similar interests of our fellow animals in liberty and life.

      Forthcoming Legal Rights for Great Apes in Spain?

      Let us remember that only last year a committee of Spain's national legislature became the first to vote for a resolution to extend limited rights to non-human primates. The parliamentary Environment Committee recommended giving chimpanzees, bonobos, gorillas, and orangutans the right not to be used in medical experiments or in circuses, and recommended making it make it illegal to kill apes. This will hopefully signal the beginning of a new shift across the world towards legal rights for animals of other species.

      Be Inspired

      Many local animal protection groups in past years have held candlelit vigils to remember the innocent animal victims of human tyranny. Activists have gathered in town centres before the public and at sites of animal abuse. We can provide you with new improved leaflets advancing the case for animal rights, as well as a sample press release and letter to the editor to help you gain crucial publicity for your event and animal rights.

      At IARD 2008, activities included a demonstration outside the Department of Agriculture in Dublin using a ten foot inflatable elephant to protest animal circuses; in Pakistan a series of educational programs were organised; hundreds of people marched in Santiago, Chile; and there was street theatre in the Brazilian city of Sao Paulo featuring a circus wagon caging activists wearing face paint to represent animals.

      How would you like to mark the 10th of December?

      Let us know your plans to mark this most important of days. If the most you can do is hand out leaflets for an hour or hold a poster next to a candlelit vigil then that's a great opportunity to get other people noticing the movement for animals and questioning the rampant exploitation that animals suffer. We might also be able to put you in contact with other activists.

      Your event to mark this occasion can take place whenever suits you - maybe you wish to hold a candlelit vigil the evening of the tenth or hold an information stall on a Saturday before or after this date.

      Please register your participation in this innovative campaign, so as to receive your free campaign pack, by replying to this email and letting me know:

      1. Your name
      2. Your group's name (if applicable)
      3. Your address (including postcode)
      4. Your phone number
      5. Your email address
      6. Details of your proposed event for the International Animal Rights Day (what, where and when)
      7. Any comments or specific requests for further materials. (Your first 100 leaflets, two A2 posters and pledge/petition forms are free, with each additional 100 leaflets costing £3 and £1 for each extra poster.)

      Materials in various languages can also be downloaded from our website at http://www.uncaged.co.uk/iard/index.php

      Often, our movement forgets to convey the powerful message that underpins all our compassionate work. This is the chance to rectify that omission and declare what we ultimately stand for.

      Yours for animal rights

      Dr Dan Lyons
      Campaigns Director
      Uncaged