Hidden ingredients

  • connie
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2009
      Some of us are eating foods , that are not even vegetarian (nevermind
      Vegan ) unknowingly .. they have been sneaking the into all types of
      food ..

      I thought I would list a few and ask others to add , discuss , or question

      Some of my favorite hidden foods non veg...

      Confectioners glaze : sounds nice but it is really BUG GUTS (watch for
      this especially in Candy and chocolate covered foods)

      L-cysteine : usually made from Human Hair , Feathers and Pig bristles
      ( these are the cheapest and most frequently used methods of obtaining it

      Mono and Di glycerides : unless they say from 100 percent vegetable.
      they are made from animal fat ( this is usually the case but you can
      contact a company to find out for sure)

      Carmine : a coloring which also comes from BUG GUTS

      so just food for thought ..

      CCShopgirl
    • tofuschmofu
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 14, 2009
        --- In veganview@yahoogroups.com, "connie" <caromiotk@...> wrote:

        > Some of us are eating foods , that are not even vegetarian (nevermind
        > Vegan ) unknowingly .. they have been sneaking the into all types of
        > food ..
        >
        > I thought I would list a few and ask others to add , discuss , or
        question

        > Some of my favorite hidden foods non veg...
        >
        > Confectioners glaze : sounds nice but it is really BUG GUTS (watch for
        > this especially in Candy and chocolate covered foods)

        I personally like the sign in the Whole Foods produce dept. that states
        something like:

        None of our produce uses animal based coatings. We only accept beeswax,
        shellac or resinous glaze to maintain the freshness of our produce.

        Could someone please tell me when bees and beetles became vegetables?

        I can almost forgive them the bees, since they aren't automatically
        killed for the wax, but shellac, lacquer, confectioners glaze, resinous
        glaze ect. are ALL made by smashing bugs and dissolving their remains in
        alcohol or other solvents.

        I get really tired of scrubbing the yuck off the veggies I buy (but it
        beats the alternative!).