Re: TO All New members and Older members

  • connie
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2009
      Hi Peggy,
      Welcome to the group. When did you become a vegetarian? Was it for animals or health or something else? Can you tell us what you mean by back to basic lifestyle? Maybe you will share a bit about your travels with us.

      Shopgirl

      --- In veganview@yahoogroups.com, "millerpeggysue" <millerpeggysue@...> wrote:

      > I live in the midwest. I believe in a back to basic lifestyle approach. I am a vegetarian and don't see myself going vegan. My one luxury is I do travel.
      >
      > Peggy
      >
      > --- In veganview@yahoogroups.com, "connie" <caromiotk@> wrote:
      > >
      > > and Members who may not have introduced themselves. Please take a moment to tell everyone a bit about yourself. Perhaps what country or state you live in. Vegan, vegetarian, or just curious. And anything else you would like to share.
      > > Also what you would like the group to call you. Feel free to Post any Questions , Articles or Rants <lol> you have.
      > >
      > > To our older members... Please take a moment to pop in and tell Everyone what's new and what you are up to.
      > >

      > > Shopgirl

    • millerpeggysue
      Message 2 of 12 , May 3, 2009
        I became vegetarian many years ago. Had to of been in the 70's. It was for common sense reasons. I grow or barteer for much of what I now eat. Simple life as in I don't believe in the wasteful consumership that too much of the now free world falls into.

        Look at many spend on shoes? Clothing? A simple look in the closet will tell much about a person. Add of the cost of what was spent.

        With so many concerned for animals, I find it sad at times the lack of concern shown to our fellow mankind. Not to say that many won't go on a walk-a-thon, or use a party as an excuse and suggest that it is really for some cause of the moment. But does such really personally HELP another in need? where does all that money really go? how much to those in need vs. the running and paying of salaries of a 'charitable' group or event?

        I am more hands on.

        People that I make choice to be around are more agricultural in thinking, addressing the issue that you no longer can get seeds off your crops, keping and growing from the seeds we have and to keep seeds going from what we have. Co-op for organic gardening and food given to those in need.

        Too many believe something because they found it on the internet, as if such makes it true (?) vs. getting out in life and being a productive part and adding to the day to day quality of life of others, seeing life face to face and personally knowing what they are doing is helping another.

        As to travels, I drove to the Austin, Tx vegan cookoff last year. It was ok, but likd the farmers market there much better. My partner and I got to see Austin City Limits live. He would know the band, I don't.

        Peggy

        --- In veganview@yahoogroups.com, "connie" <caromiotk@...> wrote:

        > Hi Peggy,
        > Welcome to the group. When did you become a vegetarian? Was it for animals or health or something else? Can you tell us what you mean by back to basic lifestyle? Maybe you will share a bit about your travels with us.
        >
        > Shopgirl
        >

        > --- In veganview@yahoogroups.com, "millerpeggysue" <millerpeggysue@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I live in the midwest. I believe in a back to basic lifestyle approach. I am a vegetarian and don't see myself going vegan. My one luxury is I do travel.
        > >
        > > Peggy
        > >
        > > --- In veganview@yahoogroups.com, "connie" <caromiotk@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > and Members who may not have introduced themselves. Please take a moment to tell everyone a bit about yourself. Perhaps what country or state you live in. Vegan, vegetarian, or just curious. And anything else you would like to share.
        > > > Also what you would like the group to call you. Feel free to Post any Questions , Articles or Rants <lol> you have.
        > > >
        > > > To our older members... Please take a moment to pop in and tell Everyone what's new and what you are up to.
        > > >

        > > > Shopgirl

      • veggie4life59
        Message 3 of 12 , May 3, 2009
          Hi Peggysue,
          I am very interested to know more about how you live. You barter for most of what you need? That is remarkable! I think that is very cool. I have read stories about towns where everyone helps to build a home for a newly married couple or helps with repairs for families who need it. Is it anything like that? Do you live in a small town? Do you make all your own clothes? Where do you get your Vegan shoes? Do you make everything from scratch? Can you please tell me more about what you do for fun and do you just farm for your work? I am sorry if this sounds dumb, but I really want to know more!!! thanks

          veggie

          --- In veganview@yahoogroups.com, "millerpeggysue" <millerpeggysue@...> wrote:

          > I became vegetarian many years ago. Had to of been in the 70's. It was for common sense reasons. I grow or barteer for much of what I now eat. Simple life as in I don't believe in the wasteful consumership that too much of the now free world falls into.
          >
          > Look at many spend on shoes? Clothing? A simple look in the closet will tell much about a person. Add of the cost of what was spent.
          >
          > With so many concerned for animals, I find it sad at times the lack of concern shown to our fellow mankind. Not to say that many won't go on a walk-a-thon, or use a party as an excuse and suggest that it is really for some cause of the moment. But does such really personally HELP another in need? where does all that money really go? how much to those in need vs. the running and paying of salaries of a 'charitable' group or event?
          >
          > I am more hands on.
          >
          > People that I make choice to be around are more agricultural in thinking, addressing the issue that you no longer can get seeds off your crops, keping and growing from the seeds we have and to keep seeds going from what we have. Co-op for organic gardening and food given to those in need.
          >
          > Too many believe something because they found it on the internet, as if such makes it true (?) vs. getting out in life and being a productive part and adding to the day to day quality of life of others, seeing life face to face and personally knowing what they are doing is helping another.
          >
          > As to travels, I drove to the Austin, Tx vegan cookoff last year. It was ok, but likd the farmers market there much better. My partner and I got to see Austin City Limits live. He would know the band, I don't.
          >
          > Peggy
          >
          > --- In veganview@yahoogroups.com, "connie" <caromiotk@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Peggy,
          > > Welcome to the group. When did you become a vegetarian? Was it for animals or health or something else? Can you tell us what you mean by back to basic lifestyle? Maybe you will share a bit about your travels with us.
          > >
          > > Shopgirl
          > >

          > > --- In veganview@yahoogroups.com, "millerpeggysue" <millerpeggysue@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I live in the midwest. I believe in a back to basic lifestyle approach. I am a vegetarian and don't see myself going vegan. My one luxury is I do travel.
          > > >
          > > > Peggy

        • veggie4life59
          Message 4 of 12 , May 3, 2009
            Hi Tofu or do you prefer Brivari?,
            What is a Zathras? Was it hard to be a vegetarian in the Ozarks? You will be happy to know I have no problems with anything going wrong in the group!!!

            veggie

            --- In veganview@yahoogroups.com, "tofuschmofu" <brivarib5@...> wrote:

            > Gee Oh Great One, Revered Creator of VeganView, you didn't tell us about yourself<ROFL>.
            >
            > As for me...I'm Brivari aka tofuschmofu, the moderator (and backup owner)of the group, if you ever get a message rejection notice I'm the schuck that did it<g>. All the technical things that run in the background to work the group are handled by me which means I'm the fool that has to deal with Yahoo(dis)service everytime something's going wrong with the group. I'm also the person to email when you've got a problem with the group or have ideas for links, polls etc.
            >

            > I live outside NYC, not too far from Connecticut, but grew up in the Ozarks which makes me a yankee hillbilly<LOL>. Been veg since the '60s and vegan this millennium. Nothing much new is going on, and I think I'm up to about 5'11"?
            >

            > "Everyone always coming to Zathras with problems. Great responsibilities. But Zathras does not mind. Zathras trained in crisis management."
            >

            > --- In veganview@yahoogroups.com, "connie" <caromiotk@> wrote:
            > >
            > > and Members who may not have introduced themselves. Please take a moment to tell everyone a bit about yourself. Perhaps what country or state you live in. Vegan, vegetarian, or just curious. And anything else you would like to share.
            > > Also what you would like the group to call you. Feel free to Post any Questions , Articles or Rants <lol> you have.
            > >
            > > To our older members... Please take a moment to pop in and tell Everyone what's new and what you are up to.
            > >

            > > Shopgirl

          • millerpeggysue
            Message 5 of 12 , May 3, 2009
              I still haven't gotten rid of everything that I am thinking of selling. But still have some. Still trying to sift through till I figure out just what it is that I am wanting to do.

              I make quilts. A simple quilt can sell upwards to over $200 easy. If I make the more dramatic designs, I have sold them for higher over the internet.

              As to barter. I have something that another wants, they have something that I want. Let's say that farmer John up the road wants eggs. I have hens on my place and they do indeed lay eggs which are found all over the place. Farmer John has greenbeans that I really would like to have so that I can can them. He gets the eggs, I get the beans. Or say he has a need for some special sewing to be done, whatever it is that I can do. We switch products. Before my husband died recently (Jan. of this year), he would barter his time and knowledge as in helping another with farm chores or doing home repairs and the like.

              Most around where I live now have lived on that land since they were born as their parents and grandparents lived there before. So not really building a new home for newly weds, but there is help to keep things in repair.

              Small town in the midwest, seriously considering an offer to sell to my neighbor and start totally fresh because, well, just time to make a change. I don't want to be known as the 'weird widowed cat lady' in town.

              As to where to get shoes? Payless has shoes that have no animal products within them at all. So does Walmart, which I refuse to shop at. There is no need to be dropping serious money on something like shoes. Second hand stores work well too.

              I normally make much that I use and consume from scratch. Not that I don't buy from stores at times, but I feel the need to be accountable for what and how I spend what I do have in ways that are not self-serving or for personal pleasure. Not that I don't have such in my life. My view and value as a person could never be considered to be tied in with what I have in my closet, on my feet, what I have bought or worn. I have found life is a happier place when one lives a life of giving to others more than trying to gather up things for themselves. There is just something about giving to others over heaping for yourself that makes a change not just in your life but all those around you for the better

              As to an easy life? Easy in that you have few burdens because you are not weighted down with the baggage of things and the worry of keeping what one thinks that they own but that really owns them.

              Being a farmers wife takes, not sure how to word it. But it is up late at night at times and up early in the morning. Right now, just trying to get someone else to take over the running of the co-op for the organic farmers in the area so that I can free up time to think on what direction I should be considering now.

              Peggy

              --- In veganview@yahoogroups.com, "veggie4life59" <knitngirl@...> wrote:

              > Hi Peggysue,
              > I am very interested to know more about how you live. You barter for most of what you need? That is remarkable! I think that is very cool. I have read stories about towns where everyone helps to build a home for a newly married couple or helps with repairs for families who need it. Is it anything like that? Do you live in a small town? Do you make all your own clothes? Where do you get your Vegan shoes? Do you make everything from scratch? Can you please tell me more about what you do for fun and do you just farm for your work? I am sorry if this sounds dumb, but I really want to know more!!! thanks
              >
              > veggie
            • tofuschmofu
              Message 6 of 12 , May 5, 2009
                Tofu, Brivari, Sucker, whatever, just no chromedome or baldie<LOL>!

                When I got conned<g> into helping get this group started yahoo kept rejecting profile names until(frustrated)I typed "tofuschmofu". ROFL

                You mean you didn't websearch Zathras (yahoo rejected that too!)? He is(was?) a character (literally and figuratively) on an old scifi tv show called "Babylon5" that a friend got me hooked on. B5 was done by a guy that did a bunch of great "Murder she wrote" episodes and Zathras got some of the best lines in this show<GRIN>! Here's another sample followed by a few links:

                "Zathras not of this time. You take, Zathras die. You leave, Zathras die. Either way, it is bad for Zathras."
                or
                "Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life... probably have very sad death, but at least there is symmetry."
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zathras
                http://www.loyd.net/osz/wisdom.html

                And yes, it was pretty hard going veg anywhere back then, but it was extra hard doing it in hillbilly land. My folks thought I gone nuts and wanted to get the city family to find a shrink for me.

                Also keep in mind that everything back then had animal fat in it! You always had two coffee cans on the back of your stove (or nearby), one can kept most of your fat drippings from cooking, the other kept only bacon or chicken grease depending on whether you were Jewish or not. When I got my mom to buy me some Crisco she was embarrassed, the checker wanted to know what happened to our grease cans and 'no need to buy that stuff, I'll loan ya some of mine'. My mom told her that 'it's not for me, it's for the boy. He thinks it'll work better to grease some of the traps and stuff'.