Re: What nutrients are missing from my diet and what foods will help me get them?

  • connie
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 31, 2009
      Brendon ,

      I think it looks good , except where are the carbs , I see a little but ?
      Potatoes, rice, grains , cereals , etc ? All diets need some healthy Carbs to be balanced . Make sure to add them somewhere .. I love that you are eating such fresh healthy veggies and fruit ! If you want to lose weight this is fine ( add carbs) but once you are a perfect weight you need to add a bit more good fat as well ..avocado ,extra virgin Olive oil, extra virgin coconut oil unless you added but did not mention ..

      Good Job ..I am impressed

      Shopgirl

      --- In veganview@yahoogroups.com, "Brendon" <bclarkepepper@...> wrote:

      > Snack: A celery stick and a handful of parsley
      > Breakfast: A smoothie which was made off 1 bunch of spinach and the freshly squeezed juice of 2 apples, an orange and a kiwifruit. Also I had an apple.
      > Snack: Raw almonds, wheatgrass shot and a juice of 2 carrots, 2 oranges, 1 beetroot, 1 apple and a handful of blueberries.
      > Lunch: Salad (capsicum, carrot, zucchini, raw Brazil nuts, soaked lentils and butter lettuce) also spinach and orange smoothie.
      > Snack: Raw almonds and a banana.
      > Dinner: Smoothie: Fresh coconut milk, a punnet of blueberries, half a punnet of strawberries, ground flaxseed and a banana.
      > Supplements: 6 spirulina supplement pills with breakfast, 4 cholera/barley grass/spirulina supplement pills with dinner, a vitamin B12 supplement with lunch, an organic mineral supplement (sourced from plants) with second snack.
      >
      > Is there anything that I"m missing from my diet today??
      > Tomorrow I plan on eating some more greens, like broccoli in between meals.

    • Brendon
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2009
        Headaches, nausea, feeling of walking dreaming, and tingling in the feet and hands as well as cold hands and feet although it's not cold.

        Is that bad or normal symptoms?
      • tofuschmofu
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2009
          I changed the header so that maybe Erin will notice the thread since he's an expert in raw foods<g>.

          Those things are certainly NOT good, but from my past experiences are far too common amongst young people who quickly go raw. Have you or anyone else noticed your skin showing a tinge of blue?

          --- In veganview@yahoogroups.com, "Brendon" <bclarkepepper@...> wrote:

          > Headaches, nausea, feeling of walking dreaming, and tingling in the feet and hands as well as cold hands and feet although it's not cold.
          >
          > Is that bad or normal symptoms?

        • Erin
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2009
            I guess it worked! :) Actually, I was about ready
            to respond, "How can that be NORMAL?" Then decided
            it's April 1st, so maybe we should wait for to see
            whether we're the butt of a joke. LOL!

            Regarding the blue skin, has Brendon indicated he's
            using colloidal silver or something? Where are you
            going with this line of questioning, TS?

            -Erin
            http://www.zenpawn.com/vegblog
            http://www.ShopVeganRaw.com

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 1, 2009

              I'd not even paid attention to it being the fool's day! Been too busy seeing what kind of tricks the banksters, G20, PPPIS, SPP, etc are planning for us.

              He's not indicated silver usage, IMO he appears to be trying to go to a totally raw diet after less than a year as vegan and without a strong background of nutritional knowledge. Umm, go back to message #561 to see what I think was the first thread about his diet. (aside to Brendon, not trying to talk behind your back so to speak, but I'm sure it's after midnight your time)

              You want me to reveal what my 'symptom' list is about<sneaky grin>? Maybe you should know the original group of symptoms I asked about was "Have you experienced any dizziness, headaches, nausea, twitchy/droopy eyelids or confusion on your raw diet?" and that the sample diet he posted seems heavy IMHO on sugary fruits, raw spinach and nuts (maybe soaked also?), his reply is still quoted below. What would my line of inquiry suggest to you?

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 1, 2009
                Brendon ,

                Hi I think part of the problem is going too Raw at your age . At my age it would not be to much of an issue( but I do Love my hot Foods as well) Nutritionally I think I would be fine .

                You however need "at least" Twice( maybe 3 times) the calories I need plus you Need Carbs and Fats . Very Important for good health .

                How about starting say 1/2 raw ? Maybe your smoothies with Soy (or Rice Milk) in the morning with some type of cereal or Oatmeal is really healthy for you or even a few crackers or toast/peanut butter ?....... Balance some fruit , some veggie , some type carb , and some additonal protein ?

                At each meal I kind of try to Balance or if one meal is only leafy veggies , then the next I make sure to add extra protein or extra carbs .. You need to find a happy medium and balance . Most people going raw and staying healthy are for one thing Older where their intake requirements are much less or two , they have dehydrator getting breads /grains from as well as there are other needs .

                I know you want to be healthy , I think you have come a long way quickly and you are ding a great job! I did not have near your discipline at your age...lol... And With a little more guidance from others who know more then I do , I think you can get a really great healthy diet , where you will get lots of energy and feel wonderful .

                Hang in there , I am hoping others will join in to help .. I know Tofu an Erin are looking things over which makes me feel better!

                Also is there not enough or strong enough sun there for your D vitamins ? If not Please make sure to stay with some enriched foods , as soy or cereal .

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 2, 2009
                  Hey, just thought I'd give you up update.
                  I know why I was feeling crap; I ended up at the hospital because I felt so bad; I'm hypoglycemic and my blood sugar was really low.
                  I made an emergency appointment with my dietitian(cost me $20 though)and talked over what I was doing wrong.
                  She helped me fix it, I've got to eat LESS sugary fruit but more often and I'll be fine apparently.
                • KK
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 2, 2009
                    Brendon,

                    Glad to hear that is something that can be solved quickly! Smart thinking to go to a dietitian. How is the rescue work with the cats going? Hope everything is well.

                    KK

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 2, 2009
                      I've got 4 cats here at the moment, two little ones who just turned 8 weeks and are adorable and a stray cat that gets better then gets drastically worse, it's all good with them.
                    • Marcy Greenhut
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 2, 2009
                        What are these symptoms of?  No, these symptoms are not good, but I don't know what I missed.  If you could keep the pertinent parts of the message you are responding to, that would help with continuity.

                        Marcy

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 2, 2009
                          Glad you're doing better!
                          Brendon, do you eat nuts, seeds, legumes, grains?  These foods, eaten as whole foods, would help you balance your diet and your blood levels.

                          Marcy